[1.3.1] Ferram Aerospace Research: v0.15.9.1 "Liepmann" 4/2/18

ferram4

I'd like to address a bug.

When using CTRL+Z, the CoL get all crazy and move on its own to wrong places, really annoying, then I have to load another craft to clear FAR process and reload the other one again..

Also when selecting a wing part with gimbal the CoL moves as well until the selection is removed, but this is less of an issue.

I'd like to address a bug.

When using CTRL+Z, the CoL get all crazy and move on its own to wrong places, really annoying, then I have to load another craft to clear FAR process and reload the other one again..

Also when selecting a wing part with gimbal the CoL moves as well until the selection is removed, but this is less of an issue.

There is a button on the Steady Aerodynamic Analysis GUI called "Update CoL" ;)

@cantab: use aero visualization and turn on the drag one, then you can check.

But if you open and close the bays right after takeoff I can ensure you that it will be properly shielded (don't even need to wait, just quickly open and close).

Can someone please explain to me how to use flaps and spoilers properly? I have my Spoilers set to the "B" key and flaps bound to 4 and 5, but I can't figure out how to set up the control surfaces to work. Every other aspect of FAR works fine.

Right click control surfaces, there will be an option "Flaps Inactive" and a buton, clicking that button allows the control surface to work as flaps.

Same for spoilers.

Flp/splr Dflct is the option where you set the max angle for flaps spoilers deflection.

Remember that Flaps have 4 states, and toggle slowly.

There is a button on the Steady Aerodynamic Analysis GUI called "Update CoL" ;)

@cantab: use aero visualization and turn on the drag one, then you can check.

But if you open and close the bays right after takeoff I can ensure you that it will be properly shielded (don't even need to wait, just quickly open and close).

Thanks!

Just finished a new version of my agile fighter the YORZIN :)

Quite a hassle to balance as it has RCS but the result is quite good.

Check it out http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/108633-FAR-Optimized-F-51-Yorzin-%C2%A6-NEW-VERSION

Javascript is disabled. View full album

XTRcqLn.jpg

The front ones are reversed indeed, but it doesn't cut air ressource I believe. They're meant to hide the front struts and look sleek a bit like an airfoil shape.

It doesn't seem to have a bad influence on drag in aeroviz so far.

The struts themselves help bending the tanks/frame evenly with aero. stress and are all connected to the SAS stabilizer via hardpoints for improved handling.

Edited by RevanCorana

@RevanCorana: Looks good, I would just recommend you to move your COL a bit further back, being that close to the center of mass will make it stall very easily, unless you have very little deflection on your control surfaces.

Hey guys,

Sorry if I'm missing something obvious, or if this has been answered already elsewhere, I'm doing some flight tests for a shuttle clone design and having some issues with drag (I think). Here's a couple screenshots:

hCJApWi.jpgYy2jnBm.jpg

I'm not sure why the rear part of the cargo bay seems to be causing so much drag there. It is possible to land it safely on glideslope, but getting the flare right when your glideslope is 40 degrees is... exiting.

If I have a REALLY narrow gap between parts like this in the screenshot, will it affect FAR? I did that because I got annoyed with symmetry being stupid and not using mirror symmetry when I want mirror, not radial.

screenshot35_zps9l2s2qxw.png

I'm thinking yes, but uh, just checking here.

Edit: Hm, I think I'll go and put some structural fairings on, just in case.

Edited by smjjames

@Aiels: Open and close the cargo bay to fix that.

To fix parts behind intakes not being shielded, stage a radial decoupler or something.

@smjjames: if there are no open nodes you have nothing to worry (at the current version of FAR).

I'm try to add a custom drag module to a part but I can not get it to override the regular FAR values. This is the Module I've added to my MM .cfg for the part.

MODULE

{

name = FARBasicDragModel

S = 21.4

cosAngleCutoff = -0.93

majorMinorAxisRatio = 1

taperCrossSectionAreaRatio = 0.40

CenterOfDrag = 0, 0.2, 0

ignoreAnim = False

CdCurve

{

key = -1.00 0.07

key = 0.00 0.38

key = 1.00 0.07

}

ClPotentialCurve

{

key = -1.00 0.00

key = -0.86 0.35

key = 0.00 0.00

key = 0.86 0.35

key = 1.00 0.00

}

ClViscousCurve

{

key = -1.00 0.00

key = -0.60 -0.14

key = 0.00 0.00

key = 0.60 0.14

key = 1.00 0.00

}

CmCurve

{

key = -1.00 -0.03

key = -0.50 -0.06

key = 0.00 -0.09

key = 0.50 -0.06

key = 1.00 -0.03

}

}

When I check with the debug menu in the SPH or the Aero Data in flight none of the values have changed. Is there something I need to change else where? The dragModelType = default, does this need to change? I tried changing it to FARBasicDragModel but that changed nothing.

Thanks!

How is lift force calculated for W or M shaped wings ? Les't name the point where wings are attached to the fuselage "point A" and the opposite end "point B". In first case the wings are made of one piece 7m long, leveled. In the second case there would be 2 pieces of same wing, first angled 45 upward and second 45 downward. Would both arrangements generate same or different amounts of lift force ? Is it a way to gain more lift force ? I have to keep wingsapan below 15m.

How is lift force calculated for W or M shaped wings ? Les't name the point where wings are attached to the fuselage "point A" and the opposite end "point B". In first case the wings are made of one piece 7m long, leveled. In the second case there would be 2 pieces of same wing, first angled 45 upward and second 45 downward. Would both arrangements generate same or different amounts of lift force ? Is it a way to gain more lift force ? I have to keep wingsapan below 15m.

The effect would be the same of a forward and backward swept wing, BUT you would have the airflow going to the center of the wing if W, and away from it if M, you will get more lift than straight wings, but there will be a lot of stress.

A W wing will allow some very high angles of attack, but again, stress will be big.

On an M wing, you will get "about the same" effect as backwards swept, with more stress and lower AoA.

There is a very good reason for these wing setups to not be common IRL ;)

I recommend just going for normal backwards swept wings, as the wing area will be the same anyway.

Pictures of the plane (without the wings) would help.

If you are begging for lift, you can angle both the wings and horizontal stabilizers so both generate lift, but that is a dirty trick and hard to get right.

Edited by tetryds

If you are begging for lift, you can angle both the wings and horizontal stabilizers so both generate lift, but that is a dirty trick and hard to get right.

If you have both canards and conventional tailplanes they can be all lifting - provided that the tailplane surface is fairly bigger than the canards, for stability.

Strange things might happen at high angles of attack, but if you ensure that the tailplane stalls last (by amgling it the least), the behaviour should be benign

Edited by thorfinn

If you have both canards and conventional tailplanes they can be all lifting - provided that the tailplane surface is fairly bigger than the canards, for stability.

Strange things might happen at high angles of attack, but if you ensure that the tailplane stalls last (by amgling it the least), the behaviour should be benign

Yes, good one.

You can also use Tandem Wings, given the way the SPH measures the craft size you would not have problems with it.

Just make sure you balance them well.

I'm trying to make money out of recon missions, usually each contract requires my to take eva report and in flight report in distant area (mostly mountains). To get profit I need to make it a two-way mission to recover most of craft, or fullify multiple contracts at one run if one-way mission.

So far I have quite good plane that can go 20-25k alt, reach speeds around of mach 2 and is quite maneuverable but landing is difficult because of very small spread of landing gear. It has low placed tail wheel and 2 side wheels fetched to engine pylons spreading out of fuselage. Because wings are swept backwards, any landing gear put on them is rotated sideway, and I can't rotate it perfectly straight ahead, and I't then impossible to take off. (is there any way to make sure that landing gear is oriented perfectly inline, when in vechicle construction window ?)

Now I'm experimenting with the idea of low-speed transport plane that could carry separate rover. The first option is to land in nearby flat area and then use rover to scout difficult terrain. The second is to use low cost rover, drop it during low pass and leave it behind after reaching mission objective.

I haven't checked yet if it is possible to load rover at runway so I could avoid exceeding 30 parts limit. Otherwise this concept is out of reach.

I'm trying to make money out of recon missions, usually each contract requires my to take eva report and in flight report in distant area (mostly mountains). To get profit I need to make it a two-way mission to recover most of craft, or fullify multiple contracts at one run if one-way mission.

So far I have quite good plane that can go 20-25k alt, reach speeds around of mach 2 and is quite maneuverable but landing is difficult because of very small spread of landing gear. It has low placed tail wheel and 2 side wheels fetched to engine pylons spreading out of fuselage. Because wings are swept backwards, any landing gear put on them is rotated sideway, and I can't rotate it perfectly straight ahead, and I't then impossible to take off. (is there any way to make sure that landing gear is oriented perfectly inline, when in vechicle construction window ?)

Now I'm experimenting with the idea of low-speed transport plane that could carry separate rover. The first option is to land in nearby flat area and then use rover to scout difficult terrain. The second is to use low cost rover, drop it during low pass and leave it behind after reaching mission objective.

I haven't checked yet if it is possible to load rover at runway so I could avoid exceeding 30 parts limit. Otherwise this concept is out of reach.

Yes it is possible, there are several ways to do that.

EDIT:

I just found a better way.

Select rotation gizmo.

Turn on snap to angle.

Select the wheel.

Press F.

It will now snap to absolute angle, just rotate it a bit and it will snap straight.

Edited by tetryds

Thanks again for help. I managed to design a transport plane. It flies very well and is easy to land, but I can't build rover small enough to fit in. When I try to drive in through the ramp it starts to push transport plane despite visually it should fit in.

Thanks again for help. I managed to design a transport plane. It flies very well and is easy to land, but I can't build rover small enough to fit in. When I try to drive in through the ramp it starts to push transport plane despite visually it should fit in.

Small roverage: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/90747-Kerbodyne-SSTO-Division-Omnibus-Thread?p=1504987&viewfull=1#post1504987

screenshot53_zpsa83abe89.jpg

I don't have acess to any of those parts yet. Doesen't seem to matter anyway. Cargobay - the one simmilar in appearance to those form c 130 hercules seems to be broken or something. I can't eaven walk kerbal over the ramp. Is it normal or do I have something wrong ?

I don't have acess to any of those parts yet. Doesen't seem to matter anyway. Cargobay - the one simmilar in appearance to those form c 130 hercules seems to be broken or something. I can't eaven walk kerbal over the ramp. Is it normal or do I have something wrong ?

Any cargo bay with a ramp is not a stock part. You probably need to ask in the thread of the mod the part came from.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.