[1.3.1] Ferram Aerospace Research: v0.15.9.1 "Liepmann" 4/2/18

ferram4

Thus bringing me back to, shallow angle = less ablator used, as the over all temps are lower, and more heat is lost to the atmosphere instead of the ablator, where as steep angle = more ablator, as the temps are higher, and less of it gets to be dissipated in the atmosphere, and those more needs to be dissipated through the ablator.

A greater fraction of heat is dumped into the air instead of the craft at steep angles, this is why heatsink type shields (early mercury tests, "passively cooled" on wikipedia) are better there. At shallow angles a larger fraction is absorbed but more is reradiated, this is why radiative heatshields (Shuttle tiles, "thermal soak" on wikipedia) are better there. Ablative heatshields tend to be a bit more tolerant either way but tend to favor steeper.

This, please. My stubbornness will only take me so far.

Okay, well, i KINDA overlooked scott manley's video (ep. 28 of interstellar quest) explaining how stuff works. I hope it is still up to date XD

So, as someone who installed this so I can use Trajectories, and basically not use MechJeb cus it doubles up way to much on what other mods do, what can I do to keep my SAS from freaking out?

Like, pitch wobbles from min to max, even with fine controls. Is this a bug, or am I just totally doing it wrong and should just go back to MJ (I don't hate it, just hate its ui mostly....)?

Dynamic Deflection helps, but the pitch oscillates WAY too much that the plane can't keep it's pitch heading at all. I literally have to constantly tap s to keep it going, but then when I hit a certain speed the oscillation blows the plane to bits :( I think the major problem is that pitch oscillates into the pitch-down range so the nose just keeps dropping. Changing the deflection only decreases the rate of nosing down, and I need it to just not be doing that.

Pilot Assistant just causes a major kracken attack....

Dynamic Deflection helps, but the pitch oscillates WAY too much that the plane can't keep it's pitch heading at all. I literally have to constantly tap s to keep it going, but then when I hit a certain speed the oscillation blows the plane to bits :( I think the major problem is that pitch oscillates into the pitch-down range so the nose just keeps dropping. Changing the deflection only decreases the rate of nosing down, and I need it to just not be doing that.

Pilot Assistant just causes a major kracken attack....

If Dynamic Deflection isn't sorting it, another possibility is fuselage flex constantly altering the relationship between the cockpit and elevators, causing them to go berserk in response. How big and wobbly is this thing?

Hi,

Is there a way to disable the constant voxel updating in the VAB / SPH, increase the interval, or make it so that it's only updated when i press a button?

I'm a mad man whos running KSP on a kind of ancient Laptop (XP 32 bit, Core 2 Duo T7400 @ 2.16 GHz, 4 gigs of RAM with PAE.. ) - Surprisingly that works really well for the most part, but FARs continuous voxel updating makes the VAB kind of unusable.

It's more of a slideshow than anything. The KSP debug console is full of lines like this:

[LOG 02:44:34.531] Voxelization Time (ms): 1411

[LOG 02:44:35.140] Updating Duna Lander

[LOG 02:44:36.406] Voxelization Time (ms): 1256

[LOG 02:44:36.859] Updating Duna Lander

[LOG 02:44:38.046] Voxelization Time (ms): 1179

[LOG 02:44:38.562] Updating Duna Lander

Etc...

The obvious solution would be to deinstall FAR, but ... Meh ... Its such a great mod! I cant live without it :(

I've been trying to find something realted to my issue but I'm not even sure of the name of the feature.

So, I would always set pitch,roll and yaw % for each wings so they respond diferently to each input. like Yaw at zero for the elevators, Roll at zero for tailfins etc. I can set all of this in the VAB but it doesn't change anything once the craft is on the runway. All control surface are responding to all input. I don't know what is causing this behavior, I'm wondering if the feature is linked to the techtree maybe (not unlocked yet even though i can see it on the parts in SPH).

If not it would be a conflict with another mod ? Or I'm just dumb and I'm doing something not right. I have not played since 0.90 early days so I am not sure if some stuff are handled diferently now, is there a button to enable this feature somewhere maybe ?

I've been trying to find something realted to my issue but I'm not even sure of the name of the feature.

So, I would always set pitch,roll and yaw % for each wings so they respond diferently to each input. like Yaw at zero for the elevators, Roll at zero for tailfins etc. I can set all of this in the VAB but it doesn't change anything once the craft is on the runway. All control surface are responding to all input. I don't know what is causing this behavior, I'm wondering if the feature is linked to the techtree maybe (not unlocked yet even though i can see it on the parts in SPH).

If not it would be a conflict with another mod ? Or I'm just dumb and I'm doing something not right. I have not played since 0.90 early days so I am not sure if some stuff are handled diferently now, is there a button to enable this feature somewhere maybe ?

They should be working as you intend; nothing to do with the tech tree. Do you have the latest Module Manager installed? And Modular Flight Integrator?

If Dynamic Deflection isn't sorting it, another possibility is fuselage flex constantly altering the relationship between the cockpit and elevators, causing them to go berserk in response. How big and wobbly is this thing?

It's a small spaceplane. It uses the mk2 cockpit and it's only about 5 cockpits in length, 4 engines wide + the new large delta wings. It has dual vertical tail fins and canards on the front. It's also strutted and has 0 wobble. The whole plane oscillates as one piece without bending

Yes I have both latest version of these

I also have throttle controled avionics, could it conflict with FAR?

Plus mechjeb and RKE joystick, wich I guess are both messing with control input somehow, but i've been using both without any problem before ...

EDIT: Nevermind, not even an issue

As I was saying I haven't played for a while and I forgot a lot of stuff , just builded a plane to try it out and I have been setting the control limitations to -100% instead of zero. So it is totally my fault, haven't payed enought attention to what I was doing before thinking it was a bug. Thank you anyways !

Edited by Saint-Stanislas

I don't know if this is a problem strictly relating to FAR but on some capsule returns I am not getting an atmospheric braking from LKO. Since this directly affects the atmosphere I am thinking this mod may be the most likely culprit but it often ends with my craft slamming into kerbin and not being slowed down at ALL. It seems slightly random and a quick save/ quick load usually fixes the issue. I can also sacrifice one parachute which will help resolve the issue and makes it so the aerodynamic forces once again affect the craft.

Has anyone else had a similar problem?

EDIT: This nearly always happens with ships that I have to undock from another ship.

Edited by Synighte

It's a small spaceplane. It uses the mk2 cockpit and it's only about 5 cockpits in length, 4 engines wide + the new large delta wings. It has dual vertical tail fins and canards on the front. It's also strutted and has 0 wobble. The whole plane oscillates as one piece without bending

Tried reducing the deflection %'s for Dynamic Deflection further? Mouse over any control surface, press 'K', reduce the numbers in the second column. (It sounds like the root cause of your issue is a small plane with significantly above average control authority so the defaults will probably be a little too light)

@Hacki: Voxel updates only occur if something triggers them. Either you have a mod that is constantly sending "HEY, THE SHIP UPDATED GUYZ!" events or you have something that is constantly driving animations; either of those will trigger the update. I do know that Toadicus's TweakableEverything has been causing some issues with that, and he's looking into that, but AFAWCT, it looks like it's something strange on his side. Nothing I can do to fix it.

@Synighte: Reading the topic a bit would lead you to the conclusion that many people have had this very issue and that the latest dev build on github fixes it. Be patient, I'm making sure there aren't any more issues associated with the build before making it a full release.

@Hacki: Voxel updates only occur if something triggers them. Either you have a mod that is constantly sending "HEY, THE SHIP UPDATED GUYZ!" events or you have something that is constantly driving animations; either of those will trigger the update. I do know that Toadicus's TweakableEverything has been causing some issues with that, and he's looking into that, but AFAWCT, it looks like it's something strange on his side. Nothing I can do to fix it.

@Synighte: Reading the topic a bit would lead you to the conclusion that many people have had this very issue and that the latest dev build on github fixes it. Be patient, I'm making sure there aren't any more issues associated with the build before making it a full release.

My apologies, I performed a quick (and obviously unsuccessful) read of the previous couple pages and was unable to find anything about the issue before I posted. Thank you for the awesome mod and the response!

looks like you can :P

I think Ferram said above that you will be able to, but that parts need an aero module for now. could be mistaken on that though, so correct me if Im wrong (and judging by the past few pages that is precisely what will happen if I -am- wrong).

The CoL display issue goes away if I add struts (odd -- and it comes back if I remove the struts). They do appear to generate a tiny amount of lift, but not enough for what you'd expect from their shape and size. The "flight" was short, but I made it just past the beach before it augured in.

Javascript is disabled. View full album

- - - Updated - - -

Wait! No! It works! Terribly and requires very high speed, but it does somewhat work!

wvfPMzV.jpg

@jrandom: More of the main axis issues... You know, I don't know if I can fix that besides adding a user-implementable override. There's just too many ways that it can go wrong, and the main axis (which is amazingly apparent to us) is actually not well-defined enough for me to come up with a solution that will work in all cases. I mean, how am I supposed to determine if those structural panels are being used as wings or not?

*sigh* I should add that and then find a way to get people to change it if they come up with something stupid enough to break the heuristic.

Tried reducing the deflection %'s for Dynamic Deflection further? Mouse over any control surface, press 'K', reduce the numbers in the second column. (It sounds like the root cause of your issue is a small plane with significantly above average control authority so the defaults will probably be a little too light)

Maybe. I am using mk3 wing parts and control surfaces on an mk2 fuselage....

@jrandom: More of the main axis issues... You know, I don't know if I can fix that besides adding a user-implementable override. There's just too many ways that it can go wrong, and the main axis (which is amazingly apparent to us) is actually not well-defined enough for me to come up with a solution that will work in all cases. I mean, how am I supposed to determine if those structural panels are being used as wings or not?

*sigh* I should add that and then find a way to get people to change it if they come up with something stupid enough to break the heuristic.

You could ask them to select the pod/probe that faces the direction of travel I guess.

Hi thank you again for your mod, ferram. I was wondering if your mod would mitigate (or even fix) the two main bugs of 1.0.2 with planes :

- The memory leak that causes an out of memory crash after ~20 mins of flight

- The parts that get constant heat amage even at subsonic speeds (my winglets and landing gears dont last longer than 30 or 40 minutes)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.