[1.3.1] Ferram Aerospace Research: v0.15.9.1 "Liepmann" 4/2/18

ferram4

So I tried running it in1.1.2 and FAR window breaks when selecting "Data + Stability Derivatives" menu option while in SPH. Whenever I do, entire window becomes grey and no other option is visible or can be selected... Debug throws me

[Exception]: MissingMethodException: Method not found: 'PopupDialog.SpawnPopupDialog'.

All other items work fine.  Am I the only experiencing this?

3 hours ago, NAMROG said:

I've discovered it's because Module Manager broke in 1.1.2. Download the newest MM, and FAR will work again.

Thank you!!!!!!!!!!

I'll give that a try. was pulling my hair out. and i dont have a lot left...

Alright, so FAR v0.15.6.3 "Kindelberger" is out, with the 1.1.2 compatible MM bundled and a recompile to fix the editor GUI issues.  Also, @Somgosomgo, turns out you found an issue where I derped and somehow broke voxelization on KerbalEVAs, so... good job finding that.

Anyway, today's codename is named after "Dutch" Kindelberger, who was an engineer at Douglas Aircraft before leaving to head up North American Aviation in 1934; he was the one who countered Great Britain's request to build P-40s for them with the response that they could build a better design, which led to the P-51 Mustang (designed by a NAA team headed by Lee Atwood, who joined NAA with Kindelberger).

Also, I am slightly annoyed at the frequency of updates I need to keep making to keep up with the current KSP version.  Not just because of the work and the rat race (which appears to be worse than during the pre-release(!)) but because I like the codenames to at least stick around for a bit before being replaced.  These are important people that I'd like to recognize, and having Kartveli disappear in basically less than a day is disappointing, though bitterly appropriate I suppose.

5 minutes ago, ferram4 said:

Also, I am slightly annoyed at the frequency of updates I need to keep making to keep up with the current KSP version.  Not just because of the work and the rat race (which appears to be worse than during the pre-release(!)) but because I like the codenames to at least stick around for a bit before being replaced.  These are important people that I'd like to recognize, and having Kartveli disappear in basically less than a day is disappointing, though bitterly appropriate I suppose.

Well, I still know who he is now. Never heard of him before! So there's that at least. Anyways, as always - thanks for the quick update

Tell me about it with the frequent updates. I installed about 40 mods yesterday, discovered I couldn't play due to excessive GC, and today they bring out another mod-breaking update with plenty of spaghetti-code bugs to come with it. Lovely! I love the naming convention of FAR though; so many important people in Air Eng really have never been credited. Even just here in the UK, there were many, many lead designers and innovators in the 30s-50s who get almost no recognition in history.

@cardgame: I've only ever seen that happen with SAS on, and that is to be expected.  SAS is a terrible control system and doesn't know what to do with lots of roll authority.  Turn it off and use a different control system if you need that.

@Camacha: I have no idea what you're doing.  I don't even know how you got FAR config data from pre-1.0 FAR versions... you don't need any config data for non-wing FAR post-1.0.  Just leave it be.

@Van Disaster: Deploying flaps generally doesn't move the CoL / aerodynamic center at all.  However, it does tend to change the zero-lift pitching moment a lot, and there isn't much you can do to prevent that besides have sufficient pitch authority to balance it.

@Noc: Well, it'll probably result in double-counting lift, because body sections already create body lift.  You would likely be best served by just leaving the defaults alone and it should work out fine.

@xau: I have not been able to reproduce this, I need full reproduction steps on a minimal mods KSP 1.1.2 install with the most-up-to-date FAR and a complete (no trimming) output log before I can do anything.

Edit: did somthing weird happen with the forum?  It looks like all the posts I replied to just disappeared...

Edited by ferram4

10 minutes ago, ferram4 said:

@Camacha: I have no idea what you're doing.  I don't even know how you got FAR config data from pre-1.0 FAR versions... you don't need any config data for non-wing FAR post-1.0.  Just leave it be.

Though it is always an honour to speak to you, I suppose this was not intended for me :)

However, I do not know what I am doing either, so you seem to be correct there :P

Well, then either the forum screwed up and brought me to very old posts and I assumed they were new, or I am sufficiently sleep deprived that I hallucinated entire posts... ya know what, I'll blame the forum software, that's more likely.

If it's a screwup on my part, sorry for the pings everyone.  I'm just trying to stay on top of all the issues right now. :blush:

I'm having a problem with landing gear clipped inside the fuselage (for area ruling).  After being retracted, they cannot be re-extended.  A message appears which reads, "[ModuleWheelBase]: Cannot deploy while stowed."  I first noticed this on 1.1.1 with Kartveli, but it is still present on 1.1.2 with the current FAR.

Here's a minimal craft that exhibits the problem: https://u.pomf.is/acpocm.craft. All 4 gear retract, but only the front ones will extend.

30 minutes ago, Vegemeister said:

I'm having a problem with landing gear clipped inside the fuselage (for area ruling).  After being retracted, they cannot be re-extended.  A message appears which reads, "[ModuleWheelBase]: Cannot deploy while stowed."  I first noticed this on 1.1.1 with Kartveli, but it is still present on 1.1.2 with the current FAR.

Here's a minimal craft that exhibits the problem: https://u.pomf.is/acpocm.craft. All 4 gear retract, but only the front ones will extend.

Yeah, that's a new 'feature' with KSP 1.1. Even one of the stock crafts (Mallard) has that problem, or at least it did before I installed FAR, and I made a custom version of it for space transport 'cause I wanted a rover on the mun. Said rover managed to break its wheels just trying to get out of the cargo bay because the rover was rather tall and the landing gear got in the way on the inside.

Then again, that was back when I mistakenly thought last week that the pre-release branch of 1.1 was the only release of it.

Edited by silvermistshadow

25 minutes ago, NathanKell said:

@Vegemeister @silvermistshadow

@PART[*]:FINAL

{

@MODULE[ModuleWheelDeployment].*

{

%shieldedCanDeploy = True

}

That didn't work at first, but I looked at the documentation for ModuleManager and changed

@MODULE[ModuleWheelDeployment].*

to

@MODULE[ModuleWheelDeployment],*

and clipped gears are working now.  Thanks!

If a mod adds lifting surfaces how to properly turn them into FAR compatible ones? (e.G. lift arrow causing vs no lift arrow in VAB just lift)

make a patch so that all LiftingArea gets turned into FSLifting or what would be the appropriate step?

18 hours ago, NAMROG said:

I'm not sure if it's a glitch, but I have no air resistance. Parachutes don't work either. I used to have this problem with the 64 bit KSP before 1.1. Is there a reason why it's back? I also have real chute installed if that's a thing?

Someone else had that, when I had that problem it was caused by a single part from UbioZWelding (three quadcores on each other) it broke the voxelization for the whole craft.

If you installed VDS Hullcam that will be the culprit.

@ferram4

It turns out that there are missing cfgs patches for the KWFin and KWFinGC (in KW Rocketry).  I'm trying to come up with reasonable values, was wondering if you could help.

This is what I have so far (no pun intended):

@PART[KWFin]:FOR[FerramAerospaceResearch]
{
	@module = Part
	@maximum_drag = 0
	@minimum_drag = 0
	@angularDrag = 0
	@dragCoeff = 0
	@deflectionLiftCoeff = 0
	@ctrlSurfaceRange = 0
	@ctrlSurfaceArea = 0
    !MODULE[ModuleLiftingSurface] {}
	MODULE
	{
		name = FARControllableSurface
		nonSideAttach = 0			
		MAC = 1.311
		MidChordSweep = 27.6
		maxdeflect = 15
		b_2 = 1.388
		TaperRatio = 0.611
	}
}
@PART[KWFinGC]:FOR[FerramAerospaceResearch]
{
	@module = Part
	@maximum_drag = 0
	@minimum_drag = 0
	@angularDrag = 0
	@dragCoeff = 0
	@deflectionLiftCoeff = 0
	@ctrlSurfaceRange = 0
	@ctrlSurfaceArea = 0
    !MODULE[ModuleLiftingSurface] {}
	MODULE
	{
		name = FARControllableSurface
		nonSideAttach = 0			
		MAC = 1.311
		MidChordSweep = 27.6
		maxdeflect = 15
		b_2 = 1.388
		TaperRatio = 0.611
	}
}

thanks

I got an error message in-game stating that something was in a incorrect path but I got it fixed. It may have gone to the wrong place as every wing that I have has no lifting capability.

Please help.

Edited by hoowuth

2 hours ago, hoowuth said:

I got an error message in-game stating that something was in a incorrect path but I got it fixed. It may have gone to the wrong place as every wing that I have has no lifting capability.

Please help.

The directories "ModularFlightIntegrator" and "FerramAerospaceResearch", and the file "ModuleManager.2.6.24.dll" should be in GameData in your KSP directory. If you want the example vessels, the "Ships" folder should be merged into the Ships folder in your KSP directory.

@hoowuth: Make sure that you installed all the dependencies correctly as well.  Remember that installing FAR is simply merging the GameData folder in the zip with the GameData folder in your KSP directory.  Doing anything more complicated than that will break the installation.

@aluc24: Install the mod correctly.  There are no problems with FAR parachutes in KSP 1.1.2, with FAR v0.15.6.3, with MM 2.6.24 and MFI 1.1.3.  If you do not have all of those installed, or are using older versions, or are on a different version of KSP, things will not work.

I'd like to take this moment to remind everyone that support requests like these are almost impossible to answer because they do not include a copy of the output log, reproduction steps, any information about mods installed or what KSP version is being used.  Without that information, I have to guess wildly like I've done above.  Follow the "HOW TO GET SUPPORT" sticky in the Modded Support forum.  Help me to help you.

14 minutes ago, ferram4 said:

@hoowuth: Make sure that you installed all the dependencies correctly as well.  Remember that installing FAR is simply merging the GameData folder in the zip with the GameData folder in your KSP directory.  Doing anything more complicated than that will break the installation.

@aluc24: Install the mod correctly.  There are no problems with FAR parachutes in KSP 1.1.2, with FAR v0.15.6.3, with MM 2.6.24 and MFI 1.1.3.  If you do not have all of those installed, or are using older versions, or are on a different version of KSP, things will not work.

I'd like to take this moment to remind everyone that support requests like these are almost impossible to answer because they do not include a copy of the output log, reproduction steps, any information about mods installed or what KSP version is being used.  Without that information, I have to guess wildly like I've done above.  Follow the "HOW TO GET SUPPORT" sticky in the Modded Support forum.  Help me to help you.

@ferram4 I'm sorry. I'll try to be descriptive. I have installed FAR v0.15.6.3,  MM 2.6.24 and MFI 1.1.3 in KSP 1.1.2 correctly (double checked). Parachutes still do not work. Here is my output log:

http://m.uploadedit.com/ba3s/1462131898234.txt

Here is my mod list (from CKAN):

Spoiler

{
    "kind": "metapackage",
    "abstract": "A list of modules installed on the default KSP instance",
    "name": "installed-default",
    "license": "unknown",
    "version": "2016.05.01.07.37.58",
    "identifier": "installed-default",
    "spec_version": "v1.6",
    "depends": [
        {
            "name": "ModuleManager",
            "version": "2.6.23"
        },
        {
            "name": "BetterBurnTime",
            "version": "1.4.2"
        },
        {
            "name": "CameraFocusChanger",
            "version": "v0.9.0.0"
        },
        {
            "name": "WaypointManager",
            "version": "2.5.1"
        },
        {
            "name": "ETT",
            "version": "1:v20160205"
        },
        {
            "name": "TransferWindowPlanner",
            "version": "v1.4.0.0"
        },
        {
            "name": "TriggerAu-Flags",
            "version": "v2.7.4.0"
        },
        {
            "name": "USI-LS",
            "version": "0.4.2.1"
        },
        {
            "name": "USITools",
            "version": "0.7.2.1"
        },
        {
            "name": "PlanetShine",
            "version": "1:0.2.5"
        },
        {
            "name": "PlanetShine-Config-Default",
            "version": "1:0.2.5"
        },
        {
            "name": "NavballUpDefault",
            "version": "v0.2.2"
        },
        {
            "name": "CommunityResourcePack",
            "version": "0.5.0.0"
        },
        {
            "name": "ContractConfigurator",
            "version": "1.11.3"
        },
        {
            "name": "PreciseNode",
            "version": "1.2.2"
        },
        {
            "name": "AmbientLightAdjustment",
            "version": "2.5.6.4"
        },
        {
            "name": "Toolbar",
            "version": "1.7.11"
        },
        {
            "name": "ContractConfigurator-CleverSats",
            "version": "1.0.0.1"
        },
        {
            "name": "ContractConfigurator-FieldResearch",
            "version": "1.1.7"
        },
        {
            "name": "KerbalPlanetaryBaseSystems",
            "version": "v1.0.9"
        },
        {
            "name": "ContractConfigurator-KerbinSpaceStation",
            "version": "1:3.2.1"
        },
        {
            "name": "ContractConfigurator-RoverMissionsRedux",
            "version": "0.1.3"
        },
        {
            "name": "ContractConfigurator-Tourism",
            "version": "1.4.2"
        },
        {
            "name": "ContractConfigurator-UnmannedContracts",
            "version": "0.3.19.1"
        },
        {
            "name": "SpacetuxSA",
            "version": "0.3.9.0"
        },
        {
            "name": "Kopernicus",
            "version": "2:release-1-0-3"
        },
        {
            "name": "FerramAerospaceResearch",
            "version": "3:0.15.6.3"
        },
        {
            "name": "ModularFlightIntegrator",
            "version": "1.1.3.0"
        },
        {
            "name": "KAS",
            "version": "0.5.6"
        },
        {
            "name": "KerbalEngineerRedux",
            "version": "1.1.0.2"
        },
        {
            "name": "TweakableEverything",
            "version": "1.15"
        },
        {
            "name": "KerbalKrashSystem",
            "version": "1:0.3.2"
        },
        {
            "name": "NavUtilities",
            "version": "0.6.1"
        },
        {
            "name": "WiderContractsApp",
            "version": "1.3.3"
        },
        {
            "name": "PilotAssistant",
            "version": "1.12.5"
        },
        {
            "name": "QuickMute",
            "version": "v1.08"
        },
        {
            "name": "RCSBuildAid",
            "version": "0.7.7-14"
        },
        {
            "name": "SeriousKerbalBusiness",
            "version": "1.7.1.1"
        },
        {
            "name": "EVAManager",
            "version": "9"
        },
        {
            "name": "Chatterer",
            "version": "0.9.8"
        },
        {
            "name": "ToadicusTools",
            "version": "20"
        },
        {
            "name": "TakeCommand",
            "version": "1.4"
        },
        {
            "name": "GAP",
            "version": "1.2.4"
        },
        {
            "name": "KerbalAlarmClock",
            "version": "v3.6.1.0"
        },
        {
            "name": "KSPX",
            "version": "v0.2.10.1"
        }
    ]
}

Reproduction steps: create any kind of rocket, launch it, deploy parachutes. Parachutes do deploy, but do not slow down the craft, and it crashes into the ground with speed.

Sorry, but CKAN installs are not supported, since they have a history of installing FAR improperly.  For example, CKAN has not installed MM 2.6.24, it has installed MM 2.6.23.  I suspect that may be your problem.

7 minutes ago, ferram4 said:

Sorry, but CKAN installs are not supported, since they have a history of installing FAR improperly.  For example, CKAN has not installed MM 2.6.24, it has installed MM 2.6.23.  I suspect that may be your problem.

Thank you very much. That fixed it.

If CKAN is not reliable, how would you recommend to keep track of new mod updates, and update them quickly and easily? Doing it manually is a lot of labor compared to CKAN.

40 minutes ago, aluc24 said:

Thank you very much. That fixed it.

If CKAN is not reliable, how would you recommend to keep track of new mod updates, and update them quickly and easily? Doing it manually is a lot of labor compared to CKAN.

You're not going to receive some magic solution. Either put in the time for manual mod management to guarantee proper installs or deal with the crap when CKAN leaves you blind to problems :) . Many people manually manage more mods than you with little issue. Learning to do things this way will only benefit you in the long run. Your choice of proper installs vs laziness convenience.

Edited by Svm420

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.