[1.3.1] Ferram Aerospace Research: v0.15.9.1 "Liepmann" 4/2/18

ferram4

18 minutes ago, Volatar said:

So uh, anyone know the answer to this one? Got kinda passed over there.

AFAIK the voxeling/voxelation/voxelisation is based on the parts mesh, which physics-less still has. You can turn on the voxel map in the hanger and look if a part has voxels inside it, or stick physics-less parts to your ship and see if it effects supersonic drag - it should be easy to tell if a part is having an effect.

1 hour ago, Volatar said:

Oooo, how do I do that?

open the FAR window in the HAB/VAB select the upper-left button to switch to Transonic Design then at the very bottom click the debug voxels display button

10 hours ago, Darren9 said:

AFAIK the voxeling/voxelation/voxelisation is based on the parts mesh, which physics-less still has

Yup, I attached a physicsless stock barometer to the hull of my aircraft and saw a slight rise in the voxels from it

11 hours ago, Nansuchao said:

As far as I know, there aren't physicless parts in KSP anymore, not after the 1.0 update.

They are still there, the change that was made was to add the mass of the physicsless part to the parent part they are attached to. So if I radially attach a few dozen barometer instruments on just one side of my plane, the fuselage parts they are attached to will get heavier but there will be no offset CoM because of them

7 minutes ago, Kemorno said:

this might be a dumb question, but where can i find the dev version? it seems like in every oldish site they only say, google it, but i already did it, and no luck

ferram4 has requested that this information not be made available publicly, sorry!

If you take a look at what mods use FAR as a dependency (such as [snip]), and then take a look at any open issues that they may have regarding updating to the latest version, you may find the answer you seek.

Also, doing a google search on ksp far 1.2.2 seems to pull up enough information to find what you need.

Edited by rsparkyc

With certain air inlets with AJE configs ferram seems to crash, you get no flight data or lift. I was wondering if anyone else had come across it and knew how to fix it?

Nevermind, I removed the !RESOURCE[IntakeAir] {} line from the config and it works fine. Pretty strange though.

Edited by Citizen247

On 3/24/2017 at 2:09 PM, Citizen247 said:

With certain air inlets with AJE configs ferram seems to crash, you get no flight data or lift. I was wondering if anyone else had come across it and knew how to fix it?

Nevermind, I removed the !RESOURCE[IntakeAir] {} line from the config and it works fine. Pretty strange though.

is this due to the difference between IntakeAir and IntakeAtm?

1 hour ago, Petras said:

Hello,

Ferram, could you give us a rough estimate on when the development will be complete? Like, a few days, weeks, months from now?

Thank you

Ten years.

Every time someone ask about ETA, release date gets pushed back twice as far.

1 hour ago, Petras said:

Hello,

Ferram, could you give us a rough estimate on when the development will be complete? Like, a few days, weeks, months from now?

Thank you

It'll be here when it'll be here.

Don't pester the mod makers about release dates. It's rude as they are only doing these mods in their free time, and free of charge to boot.

Edited by stickman939

11 hours ago, Petras said:

Hello,

Thank you

It's being released in (Insert when it will be relased)

That date is gonna come by Soon™

@ferram4 - latest dev build I've noticed something.. every once in a while the mod just... doesn't work.  Like I'll be on the runway with my FAR window open and the reynolds number is 0.00.  This has happened in the past but only after having KSP running for a really long time.  With the latest build it seems to be more unpredictable, but in the past the only way to solve it was to exit KSP entirely and restart; now it seems solve-able with, usually, a "revert to launch".  Ignoring this has the expected effects; no lift, no drag, crash in the ocean. :)

Anyone else observed this?  I'm running a ton of other mods so it may be *my* setup specifically, so I'm asking if there are other corroborating data points out there...

I'm happy to report my stock helicopters are functional using FAR in 1.2.2 with only minor modifications. Engine/rotor RPM needs to be higher but it seems fuel economy is much better. Forward flight speed is limited due to retreating blade stall, more than with NeoAero. The engine now benefits from a starter stage to get the turbine close to operating speed, a second stage then takes over and delivers most of the power.

U4ofEX3.png

The same story with the stock turboprops, they greatly benefit from FAR. With NeoAero most turboprops have tremendous difficulty to reach the almost magical 100m/s and using a huge amount of blowers. Using FAR I can use half the amount of blowers and it easily flies 170m/s. Propeller pitch at start has a narrow margin between engine overspeed and blade stall. I had to double the amount of blades though.

Not only that, I get the impression FPS is higher.

P54v4XW.png

z9VAPFD.png

12 hours ago, raxo2222 said:

I'm using dev build for tests, I noticed, that there are issues with dry mass scaling, when IFS or other resource - in wing switcher mod present.

This has been reported in the KSPIE thread as well.  Not sure which mod needs the fix applied though, but at least we know it's in front of the right group of people :)

52 minutes ago, ss8913 said:

This has been reported in the KSPIE thread as well.  Not sure which mod needs the fix applied though, but at least we know it's in front of the right group of people :)

I feel like FAR should be last to apply mass modifier for wings.

This way any resource changes would be recognized by FAR - and it would cleverly adjust mass instead of going randomly to negative mass.

Edited by raxo2222

12 minutes ago, raxo2222 said:

I feel like FAR should be last to apply mass modifier for wings.

This way any resource changes would be recognized by FAR - and it would cleverly adjust mass instead of going randomly to negative mass.

That's not really the way it works.  The way mass modification of parts works is that KSP gives you the base mass of the part and asks you how much you want to modify it by.  There's no chaining, each mod processes this independently.

4 minutes ago, blowfish said:

That's not really the way it works.  The way mass modification of parts works is that KSP gives you the base mass of the part and asks you how much you want to modify it by.  There's no chaining, each mod processes this independently.

Ah RIP then just disallow setting wing mass/strength, if it contains any resource.

Add structural wing mode, that doesn't contain any resource, so you can adjust mass-strength of such wing.

Wings, that contain resources are FAT and BigS wings and some more.

The problem with people asking for updates is it puts pressure on the dev, even subconsciously the knowledge that there are people out there expecting things from you makes development start feeling less and less like the fun project in your spare time it was supposed to be and more like a job, a job that you don't get paid for. So just don't do it period. Unless you want to see FAR abandoned.

It does not matter if people are waiting for it whatsoever, if ferram decides to never update no one has anything to do with it.

You are using something for free, provided by someone who doesn't get paid to do it, bothering such a person sounds like a really awful idea.

Edited by tetryds
vanbrokemypost :P

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.