[1.3.1] Ferram Aerospace Research: v0.15.9.1 "Liepmann" 4/2/18

ferram4

Some posts have been removed from this thread or edited. 

As always, guys, allow mod-makers to update at their own pace. They are not obligated to keep a schedule, and you do not know what life issues or other problems might be slowing them down. 

Still more posts removed. Any further posts in this thread which are not about this mod, or any more posts debating updating this mod, will receive warns. It will be updated when and if the mod maker gets around to it. 

I'm sure this post will be removed, but Vanamonde and RIC are right. We shouldn't be bothering Ferram, who's work is very much appreciated.

We should be bothering Squad for having failed to make Ferram's work unnecessary

(anyway though, if you look at Github, it's evident that FAR is in active developmet. So, Vanamonde's implication that Ferram isn't working on FAR isn't accurate)

Edited by dlrk

Indeed I'd say that good general advice, if you're interested in development progress on any mod that's on Github: Just go to the Github page, click 'Branches', and see if any of them have been updated recently.

22 minutes ago, CalmLlama said:

I think i can help out, how can i get a copy of the developer build?

It's a secret, to keep the noise down. :wink:
I'll give you one hint: github. If you do find it, and you know what to do with it, please don't post bugs here - instead use the github bugtracker.

15 minutes ago, steve_v said:

It's a secret, to keep the noise down. :wink:
I'll give you one hint: github. If you do find it, and you know what to do with it, please don't post bugs here - instead use the github bugtracker.

I will take a look, thanks for the help. 

54 minutes ago, Me1_base said:

hey ferram, how can drag be negative?:confused:

You are running the 1.2.2 compatible version of KER, which suggests you are running KSP 1.2.x, for which there is no FAR release. If you are, as I suspect, running the unreleased development build, bug reports belong on github.
And what we have here is a properly useless bug report anyway. :rolleyes:

Edited by steve_v

Opened a Github issue report on (dev)FAR incompatibility with contract configurator. More details inside.

FAR github rep:
https://github.com/ferram4/Ferram-Aerospace-Research/issues/185

CC github rep:
https://github.com/jrossignol/ContractConfigurator/issues/624

(They're exactly the same, I'm just copy+pasting this comment on the CC thread)

I'm noticing that the mach numbers don't always match up when the indicator goes from the %.2f format to the %.3f format.  reproducible:  fly a plane with the FAR window open (plane must be capable of at least 1.50M for this to show up).  Accelerate to 1.50M and back down again, watch the mach number in the window.

Other than that it seems like this is pretty darn good.  It functions at least as well if not better than the official release for 1.1.3 did, with 1.1.3.

Also of note, @linuxgurugamer 's new version of EVA parachutes, unlike the previous version of that mod, *does* work with FAR (previous version the chutes created no drag with FAR).  I'm personally chasing down a parachute-opening-height issue, but in the meantime it works if you manually do the full chute deployment.  Saved quite a few kerbals last night with it.  Glad to see this compatibility is back and working.

20 hours ago, ss8913 said:

I'm noticing that the mach numbers don't always match up when the indicator goes from the %.2f format to the %.3f format.  reproducible:  fly a plane with the FAR window open (plane must be capable of at least 1.50M for this to show up).  Accelerate to 1.50M and back down again, watch the mach number in the window.

Other than that it seems like this is pretty darn good.  It functions at least as well if not better than the official release for 1.1.3 did, with 1.1.3.

Also of note, @linuxgurugamer 's new version of EVA parachutes, unlike the previous version of that mod, *does* work with FAR (previous version the chutes created no drag with FAR).  I'm personally chasing down a parachute-opening-height issue, but in the meantime it works if you manually do the full chute deployment.  Saved quite a few kerbals last night with it.  Glad to see this compatibility is back and working.

Yeah it, tends to cut zeros in front of number instead at end.

Hey, i have a question that seems to get a lot of slack here.
I would like to inquire about an approximate release date. Now, before you get mad, i know where the dev build is and when i check the update branch i can see that work is being done, with the last commit being just hours old most of the time, and it's great. It's just that i have no idea how much work is yet to be done and what needs fixing, but i think ferram should have a pretty good idea about this. This question is not intended to cause any offence, i just think there should be some polite way to ask the devs about such things.

EDIT: I promise not to bug you if FAR doesn't get released on that approximate date

Edited by Petras

4 hours ago, Petras said:

Hey, i have a question that seems to get a lot of slack here.
I would like to inquire about an approximate release date. Now, before you get mad, i know where the dev build is and when i check the update branch i can see that work is being done, with the last commit being just hours old most of the time, and it's great. It's just that i have no idea how much work is yet to be done and what needs fixing, but i think ferram should have a pretty good idea about this. This question is not intended to cause any offence, i just think there should be some polite way to ask the devs about such things.

EDIT: I promise not to bug you if FAR doesn't get released on that approximate date

I think that's a relatively fair question. 

Hi everyone,

I have a beta release of the EVA Parachutes which has been updated for FAR,I'd appreciate some people trying it out.

You can get it here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/0n689dx3rp3tu2b/VanguardTechnologies-0.1.13-beta.zip?dl=0

The FAR patch changes the full deploy height from 200 to 700, which I've been told should be good enough to keep a Kerbal from being killed.

Please let me know how it works.

Thanks

So what about the 1.2 update made a release take so significantly longer than other updates? No complaint on the time, i'd rather get a product that's polished and ready to rock than a prerelease, but is it changes in the way 1.2 handles physics? What messed up the flow?

Relating to the whole FAR release business, I'd like to bring something up.

At the moment anyone who owns KSP on PC can run a released and supported version of FAR. Just get KSP 1.1.3 which Squad make available and use FAR with that.

When Squad release KSP 1.3 that will change. KSP 1.1.3 will no longer be available, which means that FAR will no longer support any publicly available version of KSP. New KSP purchasers, and anyone else who never got 1.1.3, will be shut out.

With that in mind, and considering the development of improvements to FAR has taken longer than expected, is there a case for releasing a FAR update for KSP 1.2 or 1.3 with the minimum work required to make it work, without the under-development wing overhaul and other improvements?

Just now, linuxgurugamer said:

Hi everyone,

I have a beta release of the EVA Parachutes which has been updated for FAR,I'd appreciate some people trying it out.

You can get it here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/0n689dx3rp3tu2b/VanguardTechnologies-0.1.13-beta.zip?dl=0

The FAR patch changes the full deploy height from 200 to 700, which I've been told should be good enough to keep a Kerbal from being killed.

Please let me know how it works.

Thanks

The Link doesn't work is there an alternative? Thanks.

8 hours ago, cantab said:

Relating to the whole FAR release business, I'd like to bring something up.

At the moment anyone who owns KSP on PC can run a released and supported version of FAR. Just get KSP 1.1.3 which Squad make available and use FAR with that.

When Squad release KSP 1.3 that will change. KSP 1.1.3 will no longer be available, which means that FAR will no longer support any publicly available version of KSP. New KSP purchasers, and anyone else who never got 1.1.3, will be shut out.

With that in mind, and considering the development of improvements to FAR has taken longer than expected, is there a case for releasing a FAR update for KSP 1.2 or 1.3 with the minimum work required to make it work, without the under-development wing overhaul and other improvements?

Well, the dev build of FAR for KSP 1.2 is honestly fine, and until 1.1.3 is phased out I assume they plan to keep it on github to streamline bug reporting and updating, maybe indefinitely. The dev build already has more than the "minimum amount of work to make it work" imo, from the career/sb saves I have playing it. I don't even actively test or report bugs, but play as an end user, and it's sufficient. The dev/contributors just want a safety net by keeping the build on github for now :D 

I still vote this thread be locked till Ferram updates. We have a thread to talk about craft design, we have Github to report issues - all anyone is ever going to talk about here until a new release is when the mod is going to get a new release, which is really not going to make Ferram release it any sooner. Sooooo....

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.