[1.3.1] Ferram Aerospace Research: v0.15.9.1 "Liepmann" 4/2/18

ferram4

On 4/29/2017 at 9:08 PM, FiiZzioN said:

Same results here as well. I really have no idea as to why it hasn't been pushed to at least release candidate with so many people wanting and waiting patiently. It feels wrong for me to be able to play with a (personally) completely stable 1.2.2 build while I see everyone else that doesn't know how GitHub works get slapped down by not knowing how it handles branches. Not everyone is a mod / software developer, so it makes sense that they wouldn't know how GitHub works. Not everyone that consumes your mod should know how to work the website. In fact, the most they've probably used it for is to download the latest release of the various mods they use.  

If the entire reason this is done is to stop the less technically minded people from submitting bug reports, or even asking for help, then I don't know what to tell you. In software development, mod development, or anything that gets consumed by more people than just yourself, there are going to be stupid people, and stupid bug reports. The best way to handle them is to either reply with a FAQ, a type of auto-response message, or, if they're at the maximum level of stupidity, stop contact completely. If they continue after multiple times with no improvement, then there are reasons that a block user / auto delete message feature for email were created.

I feel as if the people that encourage this, or want this practice to continue, enjoy being propped up on some sort of high-horse. All this does is make some people feel better because they know how to do something that someone else doesn't know how to do. While everyone else that isn't on that same level gets the short end of the stick. It's the textbook example of elitism.

I'm sorry if this type of comment is frowned upon, but it has finally bothered me enough to speak up about it.

Well, it's Ferram's mod. He can do what he likes with it. But it kind of feels like at this point he's just waiting for 1.3 or something.

With 1.3 around the corner I don't blame him for waiting, no point in releasing something before a big update that might just break it again. Then have more outcrys for a quick update.:P I just got sick of waiting so I DL'ed the dev version

no problems I can report, just took a little while to get used to far again...having to make wings bigger and such :P

I got an issue and have to crosspost:

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
  at FerramAerospaceResearch.FARPartGeometry.GeometryPartModule.RebuildAllMeshData () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at FerramAerospaceResearch.FARPartGeometry.GeometryPartModule.GeometryPartModuleRebuildMeshData () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
UnityEngine.Component:SendMessage(String, Object, SendMessageOptions)
UnityEngine.Component:SendMessage(String)
ProceduralParts.ProceduralAbstractShape:UpdateInterops()
ProceduralParts.ProceduralShapeBezierCone:UpdateShape(Boolean)
ProceduralParts.ProceduralAbstractShape:OnUpdateEditor()
ProceduralParts.ProceduralPart:InitializeNodes()
ProceduralParts.ProceduralPart:DoInitialize()
ProceduralParts.ProceduralPart:OnInitialize()
Part:InitializeModules()
ShipConstruct:LoadShip(ConfigNode)
ShipConstruction:LoadShip(String)
EditorLogic:StartEditor(Boolean)
EditorLogic:ShipToLoadSelected(String, LoadType)
KSP.UI.Screens.CraftBrowserDialog:onPipelineFinished(ConfigNode, CraftEntry, LoadType)
KSP.UI.Screens.<pipeSelectedItem>c__AnonStorey1B1:<>m__890(ConfigNode)
KSPUpgradePipeline:Process(ConfigNode, String, LoadContext, Callback`1, Callback`2)
KSP.UI.Screens.CraftBrowserDialog:pipeSelectedItem(CraftEntry, LoadType)
KSP.UI.Screens.CraftBrowserDialog:onButtonLoad()
UnityEngine.Events.InvokableCall:Invoke(Object[])
UnityEngine.Events.InvokableCallList:Invoke(Object[])
UnityEngine.Events.UnityEventBase:Invoke(Object[])
UnityEngine.Events.UnityEvent:Invoke()
UnityEngine.UI.Button:Press()
UnityEngine.UI.Button:OnPointerClick(PointerEventData)
UnityEngine.EventSystems.ExecuteEvents:Execute(IPointerClickHandler, BaseEventData)
UnityEngine.EventSystems.ExecuteEvents:Execute(GameObject, BaseEventData, EventFunction`1)
UnityEngine.EventSystems.StandaloneInputModule:ProcessMousePress(MouseButtonEventData)
UnityEngine.EventSystems.StandaloneInputModule:ProcessMouseEvent(Int32)
UnityEngine.EventSystems.StandaloneInputModule:ProcessMouseEvent()
UnityEngine.EventSystems.StandaloneInputModule:Process()
UnityEngine.EventSystems.EventSystem:Update()

The full log:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/xc87lcgyc74ca7f/2017-05-09-3 KSP.log.7z?dl=1

Also mentioned here:

Same log mentioned here:

The more I try to find out what's going wrong it's getting worse:

ArgumentOutOfRangeException: Argument is out of range.
Parameter name: index
  at System.Collections.Generic.List`1[FerramAerospaceResearch.FARPartGeometry.GeometryPartModule].get_Item (Int32 index) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at FerramAerospaceResearch.FARPartGeometry.VehicleVoxel.UpdateFromMesh (System.Object meshParamsObject) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
UnityEngine.DebugLogHandler:Internal_LogException(Exception, Object)
UnityEngine.DebugLogHandler:LogException(Exception, Object)
UnityEngine.Logger:LogException(Exception, Object)
UnityEngine.Debug:LogException(Exception)
FerramAerospaceResearch.FARThreading.ThreadSafeDebugLogger:Update()

(Filename:  Line: -1)

ArgumentException: An element with the same key already exists in the dictionary.
  at System.Collections.Generic.Dictionary`2[FerramAerospaceResearch.FARAeroComponents.FARAeroPartModule,System.Int32].Add (FerramAerospaceResearch.FARAeroComponents.FARAeroPartModule key, Int32 value) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at FerramAerospaceResearch.FARAeroComponents.FARAeroSection.UpdateAeroSection (Single potentialFlowNormalForce, Single viscCrossflowDrag, Single diameter, Single flatnessRatio, Single hypersonicMomentForward, Single hypersonicMomentBackward, Vector3 centroidWorldSpace, Vector3 xRefVectorWorldSpace, Vector3 nRefVectorWorldSpace, Matrix4x4 vesselToWorldMatrix, Vector3 vehicleMainAxis, System.Collections.Generic.List`1 moduleList, System.Collections.Generic.List`1 dragFactor, System.Collections.Generic.Dictionary`2 partWorldToLocalMatrixDict) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at FerramAerospaceResearch.FARAeroComponents.VehicleAerodynamics.CalculateVesselAeroProperties () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at FerramAerospaceResearch.FARAeroComponents.VehicleAerodynamics.CreateVoxel () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 

Voxel Element CrossSection Area: 0.246594203216919
Std dev for smoothing: 3 voxel total vol: 30613.5929639441 filled vol: 4730.20759827688

(Filename: C:/buildslave/unity/build/artifacts/generated/common/runtime/UnityEngineDebugBindings.gen.cpp Line: 42)

Updating GD heavy lifter Gen 1 + GD ComSat III

(Filename: C:/buildslave/unity/build/artifacts/generated/common/runtime/UnityEngineDebugBindings.gen.cpp Line: 42)

Voxel Element CrossSection Area: 0.243127715004564

KeyNotFoundException: The given key was not present in the dictionary.
  at System.Collections.Generic.Dictionary`2[Part,FerramAerospaceResearch.FARPartGeometry.PartTransformInfo].get_Item (.Part key) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at FerramAerospaceResearch.FARAeroComponents.FARAeroSection.UpdateAeroSection (Single potentialFlowNormalForce, Single viscCrossflowDrag, Single diameter, Single flatnessRatio, Single hypersonicMomentForward, Single hypersonicMomentBackward, Vector3 centroidWorldSpace, Vector3 xRefVectorWorldSpace, Vector3 nRefVectorWorldSpace, Matrix4x4 vesselToWorldMatrix, Vector3 vehicleMainAxis, System.Collections.Generic.List`1 moduleList, System.Collections.Generic.List`1 dragFactor, System.Collections.Generic.Dictionary`2 partWorldToLocalMatrixDict) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at FerramAerospaceResearch.FARAeroComponents.VehicleAerodynamics.CalculateVesselAeroProperties () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at FerramAerospaceResearch.FARAeroComponents.VehicleAerodynamics.CreateVoxel () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 

Full log:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/9xp3z52fa2qmpo9/2017-05-10-1 KSP.log.7z?dl=1

19 hours ago, Gordon Dry said:

What is this now?

The wobble came back and then I see this:
2pXhy0b.png

The full log:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/l22i9nhddka3u8u/2017-05-11-1 KSP.log.7z?dl=1

Edit:

I went away after I removed the OKEB-500 solar panels ...

But I was able to add new ones later ...

It's possible that there are voxelization issues with some part packs(?)  I know a lot of developers are putting FAR compatibility on hold until there's an official release - for example, K.Yeon plans to release an updated patch for OPT wings, but not until FAR is officially released.  You may be running into such an issue.  Likely not a lot you can do except wait, or uninstall those parts.

I can confirm that the following part packs behave themselves with FAR however:

- stock plus all mk2/mk3 expansion part packs
- B9
- KSPIE
- KW
- Mk4
- *NOT OPT* - CoL is way off, wings produce no lift
- MKS (although not really any aero parts)

I see that this is the only thing holding back Realism Overhaul from a CKAN 1.2.2 Release. Why did FAR become so broken between 1.1.3 and 1.2.2? What changed in KSP's underlying code to break it in such a way it takes so long to fix?

@Combatsmithen: It's not as simple as fixing FAR to work in 1.2.2, but rather making FAR for 1.2.2 better than FAR for 1.1.3. Just like KSP 1.1 was not as simple as fixing KSP for Unity 5, but making it better than it was for Unity 4, and KSP 1.2 was not just about fixing the bugs introduce by 1.1, but making 1.2 better than 1.1.

While many will debate the success of KSP 1.1 (less so 1.2), the dev version of FAR very much is better than the 1.1.3 version of FAR. [edit] That does not mean that ferram is satisfied with the state of FAR. And if he's not satisfied, then he won't release.

These things take time. And yeah, at this rate there will be no official FAR release for 1.2, but there's little point when 1.3 is somewhere around the corner.

Edited by taniwha

It has been tempting to feel spoiled and come in here and complain about the lack of an official release. Playing the dev version has been fun and is able to bide my time well enough, so thanks again for all your work. I don't think I'll stop playing KSP anytime soon, so looking forward to fun 1.3 experiences/crashes.

On 5/7/2017 at 0:54 AM, Tidus Klein said:

With 1.3 around the corner I don't blame him for waiting, no point in releasing something before a big update that might just break it again. Then have more outcrys for a quick update.:P I just got sick of waiting so I DL'ed the dev version

no problems I can report, just took a little while to get used to far again...having to make wings bigger and such :P

Can you please share the link? I really don't mind potential issues and I will probably stick around with v1.2 for quite a long time...

So long as he refuses to update the first page, people are going to keep stumbling in here confused and annoyed. That's not others doing something to him or not doing their due dilligence by reading every single post here to get a clue at all. He shouldn't have people jump to his defence over that either. You reap what you sow.

Edited by Tricky14

13 hours ago, vdr1981 said:

Can you please share the link? I really don't mind potential issues and I will probably stick around with v1.2 for quite a long time...

I would but i must respect Ferrams wishes as to keep the dev build to thous that know how to get it off github, you can find it on github it will just take some effort for you to find it, and in reality its not that difficult to find

On 13/05/2017 at 7:07 AM, taniwha said:

@Combatsmithen: It's not as simple as fixing FAR to work in 1.2.2, but rather making FAR for 1.2.2 better than FAR for 1.1.3

<snip>

the dev version of FAR very much is better than the 1.1.3 version of FAR. [edit] That does not mean that ferram is satisfied with the state of FAR. And if he's not satisfied, then he won't release.

To which I mention the old adage, don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good.

The 1.2 ship has well and truly sailed, but Ferram do you see merit in getting out a FAR for KSP 1.3 reasonably promptly, even if it perhaps has some minor bugs and aerodynamic inaccuracies.

And Tricky14 raises a reasonable point too, that I think in hindsight updating the first post to reflect the situation would have been worthwhile, even though that situation is No FAR for KSP 1.2 and no estimated release date.

13 hours ago, Tidus Klein said:

I would but i must respect Ferrams wishes as to keep the dev build to thous that know how to get it off github, you can find it on github it will just take some effort for you to find it, and in reality its not that difficult to find

Rgr that...Thanks ...

10 hours ago, cantab said:

To which I mention the old adage, don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good.

And the enemy to this good sense is personal pride in one's work. It's a very tricky balance I myself have battled all too often.

19 hours ago, cantab said:

I think in hindsight updating the first post to reflect the situation would have been worthwhile, even though that situation is No FAR for KSP 1.2 and no estimated release date.

I'm fine with him being bad at community stuff, but then a moderator or a trustee should have stepped in to edit the first post with relevant information. Either way, it's too little too late now. There's really no good excuse left for the status quo.

23 hours ago, cantab said:

And Tricky14 raises a reasonable point too, that I think in hindsight updating the first post to reflect the situation would have been worthwhile, even though that situation is No FAR for KSP 1.2 and no estimated release date.

But that's what it says - the title says [1.1.3] and there's no release date given.

I have being using the dev version of FAR on KSP 1.2.2 for a while without any remarcable bug in flight, but recently I downloaded some boat mods and they are completely broken. Ships explode, fly literally far enough to get in orbit, drift uncontrolably, etc. I readed that everyone is playing with FAR without any bugs so I think maybe I'm the only one me having that problem. I found that without FAR ships works properly, tested for some days, reinstalled whole game two times and still the same; so there's a way to fix that, or get back stock water physics without uninstalling FAR?

2 hours ago, Riurik said:

I have being using the dev version of FAR on KSP 1.2.2 for a while without any remarcable bug in flight, but recently I downloaded some boat mods and they are completely broken. Ships explode, fly literally far enough to get in orbit, drift uncontrolably, etc. I readed that everyone is playing with FAR without any bugs so I think maybe I'm the only one me having that problem. I found that without FAR ships works properly, tested for some days, reinstalled whole game two times and still the same; so there's a way to fix that, or get back stock water physics without uninstalling FAR?

Probably the mod you're talking about doesn't support FAR

No, I'm pretty sure is FAR. Stock parts also have heavy issues in water (I didn't make any kind of boat  in 1.2.2 until now, I wanted to do some and that's why I downloaded those mods). Even my planes do some weird movements when splashed.

I havn't read anything about water issues in this thread or Ferram's Github, also searched for "water" on some CFG files and nothing,

I can't believe I'm the only one having those issues.

On 2017-05-16 at 3:26 PM, Riurik said:

Bugs with the dev version of FAR should be reported on github, not here.

Okay, so here's how I see it.

If Ferram and all the people making contributions want to see their product be used, they need to update the front page and get on the top of their game. 1.2 has been out for months and people have been asking weekly when it will be out. There needs to be a layman's terms, no questions asked explanation of where we stand and what needs to be fixed for a release. Ferram, a published estimate on how 1.3 will effect a prompt release would be wise to just get everyone off our backs and give them a timeline to think about so they aren't spamming us.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.