[1.3.1] Ferram Aerospace Research: v0.15.9.1 "Liepmann" 4/2/18

ferram4

Wondering about how the Aerodynamics model is being applied here on the front nosecone, as you can see it looks like it's inside.

Is it a Ferram issue or a Procedual Parts issue? Can anyone confirm?

2 hours ago, Cratzz said:

Is it a Ferram issue or a Procedual Parts issue?

in the editor go to the transonic design section and enable the debug voxels. If the voxels are showing up properly around the nosecone then FAR should be handling it properly. If you still think something is wrong, then you'll need to prove it by finding a non-procedural part that is close to what you have and sticking it on to perform a comparative analysis of the flight performance.

17 hours ago, Cratzz said:

Wondering about how the Aerodynamics model is being applied here on the front nosecone, as you can see it looks like it's inside.

FAR does not touch the aero-effects: they're purely cosmetic with little meaning when it comes to anything accurate.

I don't know if this is the right place to post this, but I have a user issue with this mod: Fairings produce so much lift, that any time I attempt to use one, I cannot turn my rocket without it going wildly out of control. What is the best way to remedy this, besides attaching fins?

Thanks.

15 minutes ago, ItCameFromDuna said:

I don't know if this is the right place to post this, but I have a user issue with this mod: Fairings produce so much lift, that any time I attempt to use one, I cannot turn my rocket without it going wildly out of control. What is the best way to remedy this, besides attaching fins?

Thanks.

Gentler turns, more gimbal, lower TWR

On 2017-05-20 at 5:03 PM, Drew Kerman said:

in the editor go to the transonic design section and enable the debug voxels. If the voxels are showing up properly around the nosecone then FAR should be handling it properly. If you still think something is wrong, then you'll need to prove it by finding a non-procedural part that is close to what you have and sticking it on to perform a comparative analysis of the flight performance.

Ah, i'd forgotten about that, thx i'll check it out.

10 hours ago, taniwha said:

FAR does not touch the aero-effects: they're purely cosmetic with little meaning when it comes to anything accurate.

Ok, so even if it looks wrong i won't affect flight characteristics. Good to know.

On 18/05/2017 at 4:14 PM, SpaceToad said:

If Ferram and all the people making contributions want to see their product be used

That's where you're going wrong; Ferram doesn't want to see the "product" be used. He's said before he develops FAR for him and only desires other users inasmuch as they can give useful bug reports and otherwise aid development.

I think it's entirely possible this "hidden builds" situation, which serves that aim, will continue forever. (Possible, not certain, to forestall some replies).

Since it's GPLed, of course, someone else could distribute it openly, but I suspect that would just result in one of these "ah, when I said GPL, I didn't actually want people to use all the rights the GPL grants" situations.

What is happening development-wise is that things appear to be stable enough to be finished, but then someone reports a new bug and I have to take time to address it, like the one a few pages back mentioning that it would not work with the most recent MFI and MM. That looks to be a result of the dev build built for MFI 1.2.3 instead of 1.2.4 and that's a quick fix.

Yes, development is still happening, it's just delayed due to personal life stuff.  Sorry about not being around.

Oh, also, FAR v0.15.8 "de Laval" is out now.  That name may be familiar to you.

Anyway, there should be a very quick update whenever 1.3 comes out, since not many changes should be necessary.

After updating

• FAR to 0.15.8
  • KJR to 3.3.2
  • Kopernicus to 1.2.2-6

and loading KSP during the third part of loading process after the MM patching I got 4 NRE in a row with some other exceptions before:

DragCubeSystem: Creating drag cubes for part 'KW5mengineTitanV'

(Filename: C:/buildslave/unity/build/artifacts/generated/common/runtime/UnityEngineDebugBindings.gen.cpp Line: 42)

PartLoader: Compiling Part 'KWRocketry/Parts/Fairings/UnifiedFairings/KW1mDecouplerShroud/KW1mDecouplerShroud'

(Filename: C:/buildslave/unity/build/artifacts/generated/common/runtime/UnityEngineDebugBindings.gen.cpp Line: 42)

PartLoader: Encountered exception during compilation. System.FormatException: Input string was not in the correct format
  at System.Int32.Parse (System.String s) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at PartLoader.ParsePart (.UrlConfig urlConfig, .ConfigNode node) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at PartLoader+<CompileParts>c__Iterator62.MoveNext () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 

PartCompiler: Cannot compile part

PartLoader: Compiling Part 'KWRocketry/Parts/Fairings/UnifiedFairings/KW2mDecouplerShroud/KW2mDecouplerShroud'

PartLoader: Encountered exception during compilation. System.FormatException: Input string was not in the correct format
  at PartLoader.ParsePart (.UrlConfig urlConfig, .ConfigNode node) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at PartLoader+<CompileParts>c__Iterator62.MoveNext () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 

PartLoader: Compiling Part 'KWRocketry/Parts/Fairings/UnifiedFairings/KW3mDecouplerShroud/KW3mDecouplerShroud'

PartLoader: Compiling Part 'KWRocketry/Parts/Fairings/UnifiedFairings/KW5mDecouplerShroud/KW5mDecouplerShroud'

PartLoader: Compiling Part 'KWRocketry/Parts/Fairings/UnifiedFairings/KW5x3AdapterShroud/KW5x3AdapterShroud'

PartCompiler: Cannot clone model 'KWRocketry/Parts/Fuel/KW_Universal_Tanks/KW_AdapterS_5x3m' as model does not exist

PartCompiler: Model was not compiled correctly

PartCompiler: Cannot compile model

PartLoader: Compiling Part 'KWRocketry/Parts/Fairings/UnifiedFairings5m/KW5mFairingPF/KW5mFairingPF'

PartLoader: Part 'KWRocketry/Parts/Fairings/UnifiedFairings5m/KW5mFairingPF/KW5mFairingPF' has no database record. Creating.

DragCubeSystem: Creating drag cubes for part 'KW5mFairingPF'

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
  at PartLoader.GetDatabaseConfig (.Part p) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at PartLoader.GetDatabaseConfig (.Part p, System.String nodeName) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at DragCubeSystem.LoadDragCubes (.Part p) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at Part+<Start>c__Iterator38.MoveNext () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at UnityEngine.SetupCoroutine.InvokeMoveNext (IEnumerator enumerator, IntPtr returnValueAddress) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 

(Filename:  Line: -1)

at PartLoader.GetDatabaseConfig (.Part p, System.String nodeName) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at UnityEngine.SetupCoroutine.InvokeMoveNext (IEnumerator enumerator, IntPtr returnValueAddress) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 

(Filename:  Line: -1

I never had problems with KW parts before.

Full log (after loading to main menu done):
https://www.dropbox.com/s/m0iyp7guvng2nzi/2017-05-22-3 KSP.log.zip?dl=1

11 minutes ago, Gordon Dry said:

After updating

• FAR to 0.15.8
  • KJR to 3.3.2
  • Kopernicus to 1.2.2-6

and loading KSP during the third part of loading process after the MM patching I got 4 NRE in a row with some other exceptions before:

I never had problems with KW parts before.

Full log (after loading to main menu done):
https://www.dropbox.com/s/m0iyp7guvng2nzi/2017-05-22-3 KSP.log.zip?dl=1

Something is setting the cost to be a non-integer (which is not allowed).  It doesn't look like it's FAR.  Are you sure FAR is the only thing you updated?

E: It's RP-0.  You should make an issue over there.

Edited by blowfish

After lurking this thread for about half a year, I made an account to post about the new release.

First off, thanks Ferram for your hard work and for taking your time to make this the best release possible. KSP is literally playable again.

Second, to reiterate Eklykti's comment, CKAN has this version listed as 1.2.0, not 1.2.2 or 1.2.x, which prevents it from being used. Simply modifying the version number in whatever it reads should fix that.

1 hour ago, Eklykti said:

CKAN shows 1.2.0 as the compatible KSP version

34 minutes ago, Techercizer said:

After lurking this thread for about half a year, I made an account to post about the new release.

First off, thanks Ferram for your hard work and for taking your time to make this the best release possible. KSP is literally playable again.

Second, to reiterate Eklykti's comment, CKAN has this version listed as 1.2.0, not 1.2.2 or 1.2.x, which prevents it from being used. Simply modifying the version number in whatever it reads should fix that.

CKAN need some time to be updated. Be patient.

1 hour ago, Eklykti said:

CKAN shows 1.2.0 as the compatible KSP version

It looks like an problem with the .version file.  I've created an issue:

https://github.com/ferram4/Ferram-Aerospace-Research/issues/189

And also a reminder to all that ferram does not want to deal with CKAN-related issues.  There is a separate thread for that:

Edited by blowfish

No, this is actually me derping up and CKAN is actually doing things right.  I didn't set the .version file right and so it was limited to KSP 1.2.0.  I think I should be able to get it changed to be KSP 1.2.0-1.2.2 and everything should be fine, it just might take some time to get that taken care of.

I've made a PR to fix the metadata, no idea if I did it right or how long it'll take until it's merged, but I'll go and fix this issue since it's my fault in the first place.

Edited by ferram4

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.