[1.3.1] Ferram Aerospace Research: v0.15.9.1 "Liepmann" 4/2/18

ferram4

I have a noob question (which might have been answered earlier but I was unable to find it): should I want to calculate an aerodynamic drag force for a rocket (i.e. no wings, just small fins, no lift needed, etc.) using the classic formula 1/2 * rho * A * Cd * v^2 where A is the reference area and Cd is the drag coefficient, can I use the numbers from the Data + Stability Derivatives analysis window? There is both reference area and Cd but I have a strong feeling that it is related to aircraft analysis, i.e. the ref. area is the wing (fin) area and Cd is related to that. Am I right? If so, is there a way I could get cross-sectional area and the corresponding Cd?

Thanks for any answers.

Edited by Dalgaim
drag force, not just drag

I have noticed when I have FAR installed with my installation of KSP, I try to launch a few aircraft from my runway; they simply do not move at all even with the brakes off and at full thrust.

1 hour ago, Avedis said:

I have noticed when I have FAR installed with my installation of KSP, I try to launch a few aircraft from my runway; they simply do not move at all even with the brakes off and at full thrust.

That happened to me, even without FAR. The only solution is to reinstall KSP.

7 hours ago, Murican_Jeb said:

every time I've seen this, it's been a problem with ModularFlightIntegrator either not installed at all, or needing to be reinstalled.

19 hours ago, Murican_Jeb said:

I reinstalled ksp but now figured there is a problem with the module flight integrator.

Edited by Avedis

@Avedis: There is no problem with ModularFlightIntegrator, as I've never seen that issue with FAR in KSP 1.2.2.  If you're trying to run FAR on KSP 1.3 though, you're out of luck, because it hasn't been updated for that yet.  There's still work to be done.

Also, FAR v0.15.8.1 "Lewis" is out for KSP 1.2.2, which has the water crash bug and a minor display issue with the flight GUI button fixed.  This is not for KSP 1.3, this is a patch to keep things running smoothly, especially since it might take some time for RO to catch up to 1.3.

looks like the reaction wheel-based stock propeller works in FAR. the only issue is that it's got a very narrow "airspeed powerband" thanks to how the propeller's AoA is countered by increasing your forward airspeed, producing less lift. in real life, this isn't as much of a problem simply because of the high RPM that a real engine runs at. in KSP, though, our RPM is much lower. in stock KSP, the workaround is simply making your propeller have a very high AoA. in FAR, though, you can actually stall- and as a result, you can't take off with a heavily angled propeller. the workaround I use is feathering via toggling the prop with spoiler controls.

anyway, here's the Operation Phoenix-5a atmospheric probe. in lo-AoA, or takeoff configuration, it has a top speed of ~60 m/s, and in hi-AoA/cruise configuration, it has a top speed of ~100 m/s. despite its small wings, it has a very nice stall speed of ~30 m/s... in part because of its gratuitous amount of reaction wheels, admittedly. built by and for career mode, only cheat enabled was part clipping

096438514CD1CE3B05F5AFC820788ACF37439605

the reason i'm posting this is almost as a PSA - these propellers are actually useful! they're a method of powerful, high-speed electric propulsion where there's no oxygen. eve probes, anyone?

addendum: I do have some parts mods, but the parts in the propeller are completely stock. the only non-stock part on this aircraft is the small tailpiece above the large tailpiece and on the wingtips

Edited by Juncoph
added some more content

What am i doing wrong?  My jet engines flame out a second after launch because they are intake air deprived, my air intakes say that they are occluded and when I turn on infinite fuel i have no lift whatsoever... I copied everything over but it doesn't work. Please help. And for a bit of back story, i have had this problem Every. Single. Time i have ever installed FAR on any version. I feel like the problem is staring me straight in the far but im to dense to see it. Im running ksp 1.2 32bit on a Windows 7 if that helps any. Please, please help. 

Can a moderator please move this to the right thread please? 

Edited by RazorFang95

5 hours ago, RazorFang95 said:

What am i doing wrong?  My jet engines flame out a second after launch because they are intake air deprived, my air intakes say that they are occluded and when I turn on infinite fuel i have no lift whatsoever... I copied everything over but it doesn't work. Please help. And for a bit of back story, i have had this problem Every. Single. Time i have ever installed FAR on any version. I feel like the problem is staring me straight in the far but im to dense to see it. Im running ksp 1.2 32bit on a Windows 7 if that helps any. Please, please help. 

Pictures would help us to diagnose the problem. Also, since someone will mention it to you anyway (and probably not as nicely), I'll tell you that this thread is generally reserved for the mod's development - for FAR-related design questions, go here.

Meantime, I'll give the problem some thought. Might start with the basic "is it plugged-in" questions - which version of FAR are you using, which version of KSP are you using, do you have the FerramAerospaceResearch folder installed in the KSP>>GameData folder, etc.

Edited by capi3101

6 hours ago, capi3101 said:

Pictures would help us to diagnose the problem. Also, since someone will mention it to you anyway (and probably not as nicely), I'll tell you that this thread is generally reserved for the mod's development - for FAR-related design questions, go here.

Meantime, I'll give the problem some thought. Might start with the basic "is it plugged-in" questions - which version of FAR are you using, which version of KSP are you using, do you have the FerramAerospaceResearch folder installed in the KSP>>GameData folder, etc.

I am using Lewis on KSP 1.2.0 32bit (never had trouble with 1.2.1 or 1.2.2 mods before so this might be my problem)  and yes i have FerramAerospaceResearch in my GameData folder as well as the ModularFlightIntergrator and ModuleManager that came with it, no other mods.

1 hour ago, RazorFang95 said:

I am using Lewis on KSP 1.2.0 32bit (never had trouble with 1.2.1 or 1.2.2 mods before so this might be my problem)  and yes i have FerramAerospaceResearch in my GameData folder as well as the ModularFlightIntergrator and ModuleManager that came with it, no other mods.

Might try 1.2.2 and see if that makes a difference or not. Meanwhile, do you have a picture of a FAR craft with which you've experienced this issue? Better yet, would be willing to share the .CRAFT file?

Can verify that it's not FAR - just installed a fresh copy of 1.2.2 with Lewis only and got the Firehound airborne.

njbUYiZ.png

The plane's other design flaws aside (which I'll leave for you to discover on your own), I realized quickly that I've gotten quite dependent on Atmosphere Autopilot's fly-by-wire controls...

So...let's try some other things. Any particular reason why you're using the 32-bit version of KSP on Windows 7? If it's a slow box/low memory, I totally understand - my own home box has "made in Byzantium" printed on the side in Sanskrit somewhere and it uses a live hamster in a wheel to provide electrical power.

2 hours ago, RazorFang95 said:

Here are my system specs.

Processor : AMD Athlon(tm) Processor LE-1620 2.40 GHz

RAM : 4.00 GB (3.50 GB usable)

System type : 32-bit Operating System 

I know its a dinosaur but it's the only thing I got. 

Its not too bad... I used to play ksp on a worse one.

4 hours ago, RazorFang95 said:

Here are my system specs.

Processor : AMD Athlon(tm) Processor LE-1620 2.40 GHz

RAM : 4.00 GB (3.50 GB usable)

System type : 32-bit Operating System 

I know its a dinosaur but it's the only thing I got. 

That's comparable to my home box; no worries.

Did occur to me that I tested in the 64-bit version of KSP this morning. Will look into the combination of 32-bit KSP and Lewis to see if that makes a difference or not.

Good morning.

I'm having issues running FAR in 1.3. I get the FAR button in KSP but pressing it does nothing. Apart from that KSP runs fine.

Just to be sure, I removed KSP and all the files, followed by a clean install. I then extracted FAR. Same effect. 

I extracted "all of Ferram", as in including ModuleFlightIntegrator and ModuleManager. However when I have tried newer versions of these two (downloaded separately), KSP crashes during start. The error log says "mono.dll caused an access violation".

Any assistance greatly appreciated.

Unity Player [version: Unity 5.4.0p4_b15b5ae035b7]

mono.dll caused an Access Violation (0xc0000005)
  in module mono.dll at 0023:100704db.

Error occurred at 2017-06-09_144750.
D:\Games\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Kerbal Space Program\KSP.exe, run by Andreas.
49% memory in use.
0 MB physical memory [0 MB free].
0 MB paging file [0 MB free].
0 MB user address space [2616 MB free].
Read from location 00000000 caused an access violation.

Specs:

- Windows 10
-  Asus Maximus VII Gene
 -      CPU: Intel Core i7 4790. 3.6GHz.
   - RAM: 16GB DDR3 1600MHz.        
- GPU: Asus GTX770-DC2OC-2GD5. Nvidia GTX770 with 2GB DDR5.
-      System drive: Intel DC3500 480GB SSD.
-       Storage drive: HGST 5400rpm 1.5TB 2.5".

Edited by Starlionblue

33 minutes ago, Starlionblue said:

AHA! That explains it thanks.

Shows what happens when you come back to a game after several months. :D

The development version of FAR will work with 1.3.0. You can download from Github's ksp_update.

@onb912 @Gordon Dry, @ferram4 doesn't really want people telling everyone where to get the dev builds. Those are really only for testing and he's asked that only people who can figure out where to get them by themselves use them (in his opinion if you have no idea how github works you probably won't file good bug reports)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.