[1.3.1] Ferram Aerospace Research: v0.15.9.1 "Liepmann" 4/2/18

ferram4

IIRC each of chute have extra options to adjust weight and desired vertical speed when deployed, better material if temperature is issue, etc.
Each option have it's own drawback - to add extra weight on craft. So, I don't think that anything is overpowered, but take that with grain of salt, as I was unable to check how things works in KSP 1.3 and even in previous version too.

Some posts have been trimmed from this thread. 

a) Asking about mod updates is NOT against forum rules. It's only a problem if it's done repeatedly or rudely. 

b) If you think a post is a problem, please do not take it upon yourself to tell others what they can and can't do, since that tends to make people mad and derails threads. As happened in this one. 

Now please, be nice to each other and return to the actual subject of this thread. 

I'm aching to try out this mod but running KSP 1.3.

Is there a dev/beta version out there or should I just be patient and wait for a general release?

The recommended course of action is to wait for an official FAR update for any newer versions of KSP. Although, with a bit of snooping around on FAR's GitHub page, you'll be able to find unreleased WIP versions of the mod. However, support for any unreleased build of FAR is non-existent, so only use these builds for your leisure, and do not ask for help if you run into bugs while using these dev versions.

1 hour ago, fallout2077 said:

The recommended course of action is to wait for an official FAR update for any newer versions of KSP. Although, with a bit of snooping around on FAR's GitHub page, you'll be able to find unreleased WIP versions of the mod. However, support for any unreleased build of FAR is non-existent, so only use these builds for your leisure, and do not ask for help if you run into bugs while using these dev versions.

The last statement is incorrect. If you find any (real) bugs, write them up as issues on github so that Ferram can try and fix them.

Well, I'm trying to figure what the best course of action is to take.

I'm really waiting for Galileo's Planet mod to be released and want to use that and this mod along with a boatload of other mods and restart a new career mode but thought it best to tryout FAR first, etc...

58 minutes ago, TheRagingIrishman said:

The last statement is incorrect. If you find any (real) bugs, write them up as issues on github so that Ferram can try and fix them.

I was questioning myself when I wrote that, so thank you for clarifying that point; I wasn't 100% positive on the proper procedure and channels to go through if one sees bugs when using dev builds. Once again, thank you!

On 29.7.2017 at 7:16 PM, fallout2077 said:

i could find something that looked wip, but i have no idea how to compile it to a normal beta version? Im new to Github so i may just be missing something really obvious here, but i cant seem to find a way to get the folder structure right?

25 minutes ago, ShiningNeedle said:

Is there a status report on the development for KSP 1.3 that i can follow or otherwise a dev-build to try out myself. Really missing out on in with KSP 1.3

You can watch reported issues and PR on github under right branch to estimate by yourself how much things need to be solved prior official release.

Hi,

I'm making a Falcon 9 landing script with kOS (here's an earlier version of it in action) and after recently updating some mods (many mods), I'm having a bit of trouble with Rapid Unscheduled Disassembly during reentry, usually when the drag force on the vehicle passes ~600kN.

It is always the Merlin-1D engine (from Launchers Pack) that fails due to atmospheric stresses first, taking the rest of the rocket with it. So my question is, is there a way to increase the parts strenght with a config? I tried increasing the breakingForce and breakingTorque but thay didn't seem to do much, unless I just didn't increase it high enough (tried 2000 each).

Thanks in advance.

30 minutes ago, Patrykz94 said:

Hi,

I'm making a Falcon 9 landing script with kOS (here's an earlier version of it in action) and after recently updating some mods (many mods), I'm having a bit of trouble with Rapid Unscheduled Disassembly during reentry, usually when the drag force on the vehicle passes ~600kN.

It is always the Merlin-1D engine (from Launchers Pack) that fails due to atmospheric stresses first, taking the rest of the rocket with it. So my question is, is there a way to increase the parts strenght with a config? I tried increasing the breakingForce and breakingTorque but thay didn't seem to do much, unless I just didn't increase it high enough (tried 2000 each).

Thanks in advance.

Are you using Kerbal Joint Reinforcement (another fine Ferram mod)? If not, you might want to start with that and see if it helps you out any. If so, we'll go from there.

9 hours ago, Patrykz94 said:

Hi,

Thanks in advance.

Are you doing a reentry burn?

7 hours ago, Motokid600 said:

Are you doing a reentry burn?

Yes, but for now I'll do a clean install later today of KSP and RO with just depenencies and the mods that are needed because I get quite a few crashes while trying to test things (lot's of other mods in current install). This could potentialy fix my issue, I'll let you know if it does.

On 8/19/2017 at 0:27 AM, Patrykz94 said:

Hi,

Hi! How do you calculate suicide burn time?

2 hours ago, FumbeiNumbie said:

Hi! How do you calculate suicide burn time?

Answer in the spoiler below (as it's not really relevant to the thread).

Spoiler

Well, now it works quite a bit different than in the video I linked. I updated it so that depending on how much fuel (or more precisely DeltaV) it has left, it will either land like this or like this (there are also two intermediate settings).

BTW, this is not a "real" suicide burn and can be improved a lot but it works for now.

I have a function that takes in the current surface velocity, number of engiens to use during landing and the thrust setting that you'd like to use, and it calculates roughly how long it will take you to decelerate from that speed. This is not very accurate because due to gravity losses, you need to use more deltaV than the velocity you passed in but the atmospheric drag evens it out so it works pretty well for me.

Then I use two more functions, landBurnHeight() which calculates the distance that rocket will cover during the burn, or in other words at what altitude the burn needs to start, and landBurnSpeed() which keeps calculating what speed the rocket should be moving at based on altitude (exact altitude above the landing pad) and predicted burn time.

That's the first part of the burn and it varies depending on what configuration you've chosen (1 engine or 3 and the throttle level). The second part of the burn is responsible for a smooth touchdown and it works exactly the same, regardles of what config you use, and this is just an equation that makes the rocket touch down at the minimum thrust it can produce with just 1 engine. A nearly empty Falcon 9 with 1 engine running at minimum throttole (around 36%) has a thrust-to-weight ratio of around 1.3 so it's not able to hover.

Then I just use a simple PID loop to match the rocket speed to the one calculated by landBurnSpeed() at first and then the one calculated by the other equation.

I will seriously need to rewrite the script to make it more clear and hopefully run faster.

And as for the issue I had with the aero stress destroying the rocket, it seems to be kind of working properly now.

Alright, so FAR v0.15.9 "Liebe" is out.  It includes 1.3 compatibility, some mod interaction fixes, and localization support.  Also includes volunteer-provided German, Russian, and Chinese translations.

Anyone who wants to help contribute to more translations is welcome to, and I apologize if anything isn't translated correctly, I only know English myself.

6 minutes ago, ferram4 said:

Alright, so FAR v0.15.9 "Liebe" is out.  It includes 1.3 compatibility, some mod interaction fixes, and localization support.  Also includes volunteer-provided German, Russian, and Chinese translations.

Anyone who wants to help contribute to more translations is welcome to, and I apologize if anything isn't translated correctly, I only know English myself.

Praise be to all that is good and righteous. 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.