[1.3.1] Ferram Aerospace Research: v0.15.9.1 "Liepmann" 4/2/18

ferram4

10 hours ago, yknooble said:

All the stability derivatives are in the green. I've also ensured the center of lift is to the rear of the center of mass.

yea I know that's what I'm saying - all my numbers looked great too but I couldn't get the aircraft stable in flight. After a complete rebuild it flew as I expected it to, so just keep this in mind if all else fails

Seems like far has trouble identifying b9 proceedural wing lift directions, when in hanger it'll show the center of lift, but no arrow showing lift direction and the plane operates as if its neutral boyancy (neither rising or falling in relation to speed)

I'm noticing a few oddities while using FAR. I've managed to get several aircraft off of the ground, now, and I quite enjoyed both the challenge of doing so and the greater sense of control FAR imparts to working craft, but there are two issues that mystify me, even wit hall I've learned about jet design over the past week.

First, it seems imparting a dihedral slant to my wings isn't imparting any roll stability or automatic roll recovery. Quite the reverse; the ship has a tendency to roll until one wing is flat, and an anhedral design is where the design seems to come to rest (I've had my crafts tip over... and then simply stay perfectly upside-down). My best remedy so far has been to just flatten out the wings and write off dihedral stabilization. The crafts I am flying are very simple; I use a balanced tailfin (It is symmetrical above and below the tail cone, not just an upward rudder), two jet engines (Junos for my first jet)/intakes/fuel canisters mounted to the sides of the fusilage (centrally), and wings mounted on those (either center-line or higher if I go dihedral). One suspicion I have is that my CoM may be above my CoL, though I am not positive if that would cause the flipping behavior by itself or not. Any thoughts on what I may be messing up, or if it's an actual issue with the mod?

Another issue I've noticed, far more egregious, was that one of my craft flew faster with the landing gear down (extended), even though this visibly created more drag than having it retracted. I've had suspicions for a while that there's something odd going on with the drag, but I had written it off as my own inexperience until that point. I can't see how having all of that additional surface area is helping me maintain a greater maximum velocity. Any input would be appreciated.

On 09/01/2018 at 9:58 PM, Drew Kerman said:

working as intended. CoL arrow doesn't mean much for FAR, use the stability derivatives window

Is that the little far window when controlling the vehicle? Ive tried toggling those but vehicle still behaves more like a submarine in water then a plane in air.

Works as intended with other wings, i apply enough speed and plane will lift itself off runway (and shows the lift direction arrow) just not the b9 proceedural wings =/

Is there a way to temporarily disable far for a single flight without removing the mod completely?

Edited by Hs.Panda

5 hours ago, Hs.Panda said:

Is that the little far window when controlling the vehicle?

No, click the FAR button in the VAB/SPH

5 hours ago, Hs.Panda said:

Is there a way to temporarily disable far for a single flight without removing the mod completely?

Not that I know of

11 hours ago, eberkain said:

From looking at the configs with the mod is it safe to say most mod added parts will be fine and not require a special config?

unless they're wings.  wings need a module manager patch to interact properly with FAR, last I checked.

3 hours ago, ss8913 said:

unless they're wings.  wings need a module manager patch to interact properly with FAR, last I checked.

That could be my problem with the b9 wings.

Does each addon have a different modular manager? Ive been using the most recent modular manager dll file instead of replacing with each new addon (unless the addon has a newer one then the one i currently have)

Should i be copy/pasting all the things inside the various modular manager file and compiling them all together into 1 file?

On 1/15/2018 at 8:40 PM, Hs.Panda said:

That could be my problem with the b9 wings.

Does each addon have a different modular manager? Ive been using the most recent modular manager dll file instead of replacing with each new addon (unless the addon has a newer one then the one i currently have)

Should i be copy/pasting all the things inside the various modular manager file and compiling them all together into 1 file?

You should only have 1 copy of module manager in your root GameData folder.  You should have something like this once you start installing mods.  02inEJo.png

3 hours ago, redmonddkgamer said:

Ok, didn't think so.

if you search hard enough back in the thread you'll find the mod author's own thoughts on getting this to work. I can't remember if ferram said it was never going to be a thing or if it could possibly be sort of a thing when the way wings are handled gets changed

Edited by Drew Kerman

12 hours ago, Drew Kerman said:

if you search hard enough back in the thread you'll find the mod author's own thoughts on getting this to work. I can't remember if ferram said it was never going to be a thing or if it could possibly be sort of a thing when the way wings are handled gets changed

This thread is 552 pages long.

Hi guys, I'm sorry for a silly question, but how do I get FAR to show in blizzy's toolbar instead of stock? I checked the box in FAR settings in KSC view, but it still shows up in stock toolbar, even after the game restart. There is nothing in the config files. Both FAR and blizzy's toolbar are up to the latest versions.

Edited by aluc24

16 hours ago, aluc24 said:

Hi guys, I'm sorry for a silly question, but how do I get FAR to show in blizzy's toolbar instead of stock? I checked the box in FAR settings in KSC view, but it still shows up in stock toolbar, even after the game restart. There is nothing in the config files. Both FAR and blizzy's toolbar are up to the latest versions.

it's bugged and has been since KSP v1.2.2. Get Adjustable Mod Panel if you want to get rid of the stock button and just keep the Blizzy button

the .version files in current downloads from both SpaceDock and GitHub say 0.15.8.1, not the current 0.15.9 (not to mention for KSP version 1.2, though AFAICT it's working fine in 1.3)

While you're at it, it's bundled with MM 2.8.1, current is 3.0.1 and it seems like almost all the major mods are now compatible

On 11/18/2017 at 10:30 AM, sashan said:

Is there a way to export FAR graphs and numbers into anything readable externally? I want to calculate optimal ascent trajectory using some numerical optimization but I need aerodynamics data for that.  

I am looking for this option as well. Is this possible to do in the current or 0.15.8.1 (for RSS/RO)?

• 4 weeks later...

As nobody else has (as far as I can see), I'll bring this in here:

The OKEB 75 deployable solar panel (solarpanel-blanket-4) from Near Future Solar is causing serious voxelisation issues, i.e the entire screen filled with 'em, when attached to a craft (retracted or extended). @Nertea seems to think this is one is for @ferram4.

screenshot3.png

screenshot4.png

I don't see any errors relating to FAR or the offending part in my log. If it's needed anyway, let me know and I'll do it in a clean install to cut down the filesize.

Any idea what I can do about this? It's a showstopper for up a truly awesome craft design...

Edited by steve_v

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.