[1.3.1] Ferram Aerospace Research: v0.15.9.1 "Liepmann" 4/2/18

ferram4

How do I obtain the compiled version of FAR?

I currently have 15.9.1 and my KSP version is 1.4.4.2215.

The issue is that all parachute attached will not show up in the staging area.

This also occurs in the Training section. 

Kind regards,

G

2 hours ago, FuzzyG said:

How do I obtain the compiled version of FAR?

I currently have 15.9.1 and my KSP version is 1.4.4.2215.

Usually helps to skim the last few pages of a mod's topic, especially if it hasn't been updated.

Here's a post on the previous page with a download link for a .dll for FAR compiled for KSP 1.4 by @ExtremeTrader.  It can be dropped into folders with the rest of FAR (instructions in the post).  You may have issues with it, as it should have been compiled for KSP 1.4.5 and you're on 1.4.4, or for other reasons beyond ExtremeTrader's control.

Because there's only so much ExtremeTrader can do; he's not taken over the mod.  The licencing for the whole mod, excepting the code that makes the .dll, is All Rights Reserved, so he can't take it over without  @ferram4's explicit permission.  FAR is likely one of the most complex mods in KSP, depending on a lot of real world aerodynamics knowledge as well as KSP modding knowledge.  I don't know who could do so or more importantly have the time to do so properly.

Edited by Jacke

Thank you for your insight and help. Many years ago, I used to program in C++, but stopped when I started working on my masters and then my doctorate. I would like to get back into it via KSP modding and really do not have anything that wouldn't allow me to do such except for some personal factors. Nevertheless, thank you again for the info.

Kind regards,

G~~

Btw, stop pinging Ferram. Sorry for the harsh words, but you're acting like entitled children begging for him to come back. Probably won't motivate him if he got a dozen people ping him. Not to mention it just burries actually important requests like the license issue.

Edited by Temeter

On 9/9/2018 at 9:05 PM, Jacke said:

@ExtremeTradercause there's only so much ExtremeTrader can do; he's not taken over the mod.  The licencing for the whole mod, excepting the code that makes the .dll, is All Rights Reserved, so he can't take it over without  @ferram4's explicit permission.  FAR is likely one of the most complex mods in KSP, depending on a lot of real world aerodynamics knowledge as well as KSP modding knowledge.  I don't know who could do so or more importantly have the time to do so properly.

I agree, FAR is very complex to take over. You need to be an expert in Aerodynamics.

However, there are a lot of software developers (modders) here with enough knowledge to keep FAR up to date :)

Hello @ferram4,

I went back to college to get a PhD in Physics in large part because of your work, and eventually settled into CFD.

Way back when I first became aware of FAR I was impressed, and it ignited a love for aerodynamics (specifically around rockets and re-entry) that I had never had before.

Now that I'm much more familiar with the problems involved and the methods used to solve them, I'm even more impressed. Flabbergasted, is the word, that you've made an acceptable-accuracy aerodynamic calculator for almost arbitrary shapes that works in real time on a home computer to any accuracy while that same computer is also running everything else KSP does.

Kudos to you. Greatest kudos.

Is there a way to have "legacy patches" using MM syntax to FAR-unpatched wings / control surfaces without having proper dedicated patches using the methods mentioned here?
https://github.com/ferram4/Ferram-Aerospace-Research/wiki/Deriving-FAR-values-for-a-wing-using-Blender-2.7

I ask that because instead of

1. waiting for someone who is used to work with blender to do that
  2. the original part dev do that
  3. me to learn blender and try to do that

I would like to create a generic patch which does it.

Actually I only can warn myself with this patch:

@PART[*]:HAS[!MODULE[FARWingAerodynamicModel],@MODULE[ModuleLiftingSurface]]:NEEDS[FerramAerospaceResearch]:FINAL
{
	+description ^= :^:<color=orange>Not patched for FAR yet!</color> :
}

@PART[*]:HAS[!MODULE[FARControllableSurface],@MODULE[ModuleControlSurface]]:NEEDS[FerramAerospaceResearch]:FINAL
{
	+description ^= :^:<color=orange>Not patched for FAR yet!</color> :
}

@ExtremeTrader the latest Ferram Aerospace Research v0.15.9.3 "ferram4.1" works somehow, but after a few reverts to launch pad total (after launching a few rockets) it could happen that the game starts to throw exceptions and then the https://github.com/lamont-granquist/MechJeb2/releases/tag/mchenry17-145 using PEG starts to bug and spam the log.

Log excerpt:

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
  at FerramAerospaceResearch.FARAeroComponents.FARVesselAero.SimulateAeroProperties (UnityEngine.Vector3& aeroForce, UnityEngine.Vector3& aeroTorque, Vector3 velocityWorldVector, Double altitude) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at FerramAerospaceResearch.FARAPI.InstanceCalcVesselAeroForces (.Vessel vessel, UnityEngine.Vector3& aeroForce, UnityEngine.Vector3& aeroTorque, Vector3 velocityWorldVector, Double altitude) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at FerramAerospaceResearch.FARAPI.CalculateVesselAeroForces (.Vessel vessel, UnityEngine.Vector3& aeroForce, UnityEngine.Vector3& aeroTorque, Vector3 velocityWorldVector, Double altitude) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at (wrapper delegate-invoke) MuMech.VesselState/FARCalculateVesselAeroForcesDelegate:invoke_void__this___Vessel_Vector3&_Vector3&_Vector3_double (Vessel,UnityEngine.Vector3&,UnityEngine.Vector3&,UnityEngine.Vector3,double)
  at MuMech.VesselState.AnalyzeParts (.Vessel vessel, MuMech.EngineInfo einfo, MuMech.IntakeInfo iinfo) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at MuMech.VesselState.Update (.Vessel vessel) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at MuMech.MechJebCore.FixedUpdate () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 

(Filename:  Line: -1)

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
  at FerramAerospaceResearch.FARAeroComponents.FARVesselAero.SimulateAeroProperties (UnityEngine.Vector3& aeroForce, UnityEngine.Vector3& aeroTorque, Vector3 velocityWorldVector, Double altitude) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at FerramAerospaceResearch.FARAPI.InstanceCalcVesselAeroForces (.Vessel vessel, UnityEngine.Vector3& aeroForce, UnityEngine.Vector3& aeroTorque, Vector3 velocityWorldVector, Double altitude) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at FerramAerospaceResearch.FARAPI.CalculateVesselAeroForces (.Vessel vessel, UnityEngine.Vector3& aeroForce, UnityEngine.Vector3& aeroTorque, Vector3 velocityWorldVector, Double altitude) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at (wrapper managed-to-native) System.Reflection.MonoMethod:InternalInvoke (object,object[],System.Exception&)
  at System.Reflection.MonoMethod.Invoke (System.Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, System.Reflection.Binder binder, System.Object[] parameters, System.Globalization.CultureInfo culture) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
Rethrow as TargetInvocationException: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation.
  at System.Reflection.MonoMethod.Invoke (System.Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, System.Reflection.Binder binder, System.Object[] parameters, System.Globalization.CultureInfo culture) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at System.Reflection.MethodBase.Invoke (System.Object obj, System.Object[] parameters) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at Trajectories.FARModel.ComputeForces_Model (Vector3d airVelocity, Double altitude) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at Trajectories.VesselAerodynamicModel.ComputeForces (Double altitude, Vector3d airVelocity, Vector3d vup, Double angleOfAttack) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at Trajectories.VesselAerodynamicModel.ComputeReferenceDrag () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at Trajectories.VesselAerodynamicModel.isValidFor (.Vessel vessel, .CelestialBody body) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at Trajectories.Trajectory+<ComputeTrajectoryIncrement>d__42.MoveNext () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at Trajectories.Trajectory.ComputeTrajectory (.Vessel vessel, Trajectories.DescentProfile profile) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 

(Filename:  Line: -1)

Full log and stuff:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/iv1ev7cw8ajf65j/2018-09-29_1 KSP.log and stuff.7z?dl=1

After removing FAR it's okay again.

3 minutes ago, Gordon Dry said:

@jrodriguez ahem? What?

I just informed @Kommodore

Yes, I know. I'm just being honest.

I'm not expecting anything else official from this thread.

At some point I'm expecting someone to take over and create a new thread for a new FARContinued mod.

RO team should be releasing as well using this latest fork working in 1.4.5.

1 hour ago, Angstinator said:

You're not gonna get FAR Continued because of snowflake licenses.

The license issue would basically just require the person to make new icons, not all that difficult compared to actually updating and maintaining something like this long-term.

Edited by Maeyanie

17 minutes ago, Boris-Barboris said:

... and a shader.

Right, forgot about that. That one's a bit harder.

Though it looks like it's only used for the cross-sectional area graph, which is definitely very useful but could be lived without if the maintainer isn't up to that particular challenge.

Honestly, it still seems like even fixing the currently-known bugs in the 1.4 version is the toughest part.

20 hours ago, Kommodore said:

I also think you could name it "Whitcomb"

I'm so stupid I didn't notice the names were given following the alphabetic order, and at the time being we're still at "L"

We'll have a few updates until the "Whitcomb" one comes over...

On 10/3/2018 at 8:41 AM, Maeyanie said:

Honestly, it still seems like even fixing the currently-known bugs in the 1.4 version is the toughest part.

What bugs are people having? It seems fine to me, but I'd like to know what to watch out for.

Are there any known issues between FAR's adjustable wing weight/structural stength and Tweakscale? Some mass figures don't add up at all, they appear to be multiplied by an unrelated factor. Getting different mass readouts just from directly connecting a wing to a root part, for example.

Edited by Tricky14

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.