[1.3.1] Ferram Aerospace Research: v0.15.9.1 "Liepmann" 4/2/18

ferram4

Illusion; both wings and tail are mid wing. Should I put the horizontal stabilizer anhedral and the wings dihedral?

Yes.

Add the anhedral on the horizontal stabilizer first (as you like, but don't exaggerate it), then add dihedral on the wing until it's green :)

Illusion; both wings and tail are mid wing. Should I put the horizontal stabilizer anhedral and the wings dihedral?

You can, but "should"...that depends.

Dihedral increases roll stability, anhedral increases roll agility. Both also add a bit of longitudinal stability, increasing with distance from CoM.

Balancing anhedral vs dihedral on wings and tailplanes (horizontal) can provide a bit of longitudinal stability at the cost of a bit of lift. Angling vertical stabilisers (tailfins) outwards gets a reduced version of the dihedral tailplane effect, but trades longitudinal stability for lift. Everything in airframe design is a matter of competing tradeoffs.

If you're having roll stability issues, what you want is either longer wings or more dihedral (wing, tailplane, or both). But balancing the two against each other for weight distribution or lateral stability reasons can work well:

screenshot229_zps407434f6.jpg

You could try a V-tail.

Wait, did you try setting one of the flaps on the vertical stabilizer to have a negative deflection angle?

That would solve it... I derped.

Oh damn this thread goes fast. It turns out using StripSymmetry doesn't work either - one of the brakes simply refuses to move after I remove symmetry. I'll test a few more things, but I don't think it's going to help much.

May I ask what dihedral, and it's opposite brother means? (Anihedral right?)

I'm going to assume it's the wings horizontal angle from the body of the aircraft

No, its the vertical angle with the wing plane: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/0/0c/Dihedral_and_anhedral_angle_%28aircraft_wing%29.svg

Wiki explains well.

The horizontal angle from the body of the aircraft is the sweep angle (highly swept wings).

A positive sweep angle increases the dihedral EFFECT, but it does not mean it's dihedral.

A negatively swept wing increases the anhedral effect.

Edit: A horizontal/vertical position confusion may have happened, but I hope you understand it now.

What does a negatively swept wing look like vs a positively swept wing? Positive is swept forwards and negative is swept backwards?

Also, you can't really tell which way the wings are swept in that screenshot, mainly because it's nighttime.

Are there any design tricks to increase roll damping? I can fly my craft in level flight and control pitch without SAS, but when I turn I get roll oscillations, which die out over time but not very quickly - is there any way to damp those oscillations?

Are there any design tricks to increase roll damping? I can fly my craft in level flight and control pitch without SAS, but when I turn I get roll oscillations, which die out over time but not very quickly - is there any way to damp those oscillations?

More dihedral, lol.

And more tail.

To fix SAS issues just decrease the deflection of your control surfaces.

And make sure you set them to react only to the controls they are meant for.

Edited by tetryds

No, actually. That's for roll stability and yaw damping, not for roll damping. The trick to get more roll damping is to have a longer wingspan.

Ah, I messed up then, thanks.

Edit: I think I read stability, eh, still failed :P

Edited by tetryds

To fix SAS issues just decrease the deflection of your control surfaces.

Or, if you want to keep a vigorous amount of control authority, use a PID tuner.

There's one included in the Kerbal Pilot Assistant mod. Cut all the kp values to 1/3rd of default, chop the scalars to 1/2.

The trick to get more roll damping is to have a longer wingspan.

Thanks for the info. Might not be possible for some designs but useful to know anyway.

Or, if you want to keep a vigorous amount of control authority, use a PID tuner.

There's one included in the Kerbal Pilot Assistant mod. Cut all the kp values to 1/3rd of default, chop the scalars to 1/2.

Thanks! I've been meaning to install that for a while actually...

The PID tuner works great, but you may have to fiddle around with it on a per plane basis to get it where you like (but what Wanderfound recommends is a great starting point), but its an amazing tool, makes for a nice autopilot when doing long distance aerial survey contracts.

The PID tuner works great, but you may have to fiddle around with it on a per plane basis to get it where you like (but what Wanderfound recommends is a great starting point), but its an amazing tool, makes for a nice autopilot when doing long distance aerial survey contracts.

It can also change based on flight conditions - I had the PID tuner mod installed before 0.90, so I know approximately what works. But yeah, with some tweaking it can allow stable flight with SAS.

Thanks :) and, I changed the animations to the Firespitter plugin to get them to work like they did the only real problem was the miring of the 1 wing with the AeroProbe one has the blackside up but works :).

EDIT- If anyone liked the RT1, MicroSat & AeroProbe got it 2 ways one uses ModuleAnimateGeneric but some of the parts don't work right best can remember https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/72893034/RemoteTech1_Parts_.90.zip and this one all works but you need the Firespitter plugin https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/72893034/RemoteTech1_2_Parts_FS_.90.zip have fun.

EDIT- Or you can grab it from JDP github repo :)

Anyone able to jury-rig a FAR config for these? I have no idea where to start...

If ferram wont make the mod 64-bit compatible, at least is there a way i can make it so? or remove the auto-disable feature?

Good luck with getting help with that here. I think the general consensus is that if you aren't experienced enough to figure it out for yourself you shouldn't be using a 64 bit version.

It's already compatible for x64 - Linux. Failing that, as I told you last time you asked this, learn to recompile it yourself without the x64 check.

All this is pretty much moot anyway as if Squad can't make the Windows x64 version more stable themselves, it'll likely get pulled from the next release (I should point out that it's questions like this that made Squad decide that).

No, its the vertical angle with the wing plane: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/0/0c/Dihedral_and_anhedral_angle_%28aircraft_wing%29.svg

Wiki explains well.

The horizontal angle from the body of the aircraft is the sweep angle (highly swept wings).

A positive sweep angle increases the dihedral EFFECT, but it does not mean it's dihedral.

A negatively swept wing increases the anhedral effect.

Edit: A horizontal/vertical position confusion may have happened, but I hope you understand it now.

That's what I ment..I was thinking of a head on view of the aircraft :D thanks for the info

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.