[1.3.1] Ferram Aerospace Research: v0.15.9.1 "Liepmann" 4/2/18

ferram4

How stable is it? Is it fully compatible with pwing mods and other aero parts from mods? I know anything relying on the dll will be borked till they are official adapted to nuFAR. Is realfuels compatible? How FAR are we from full release? Day 0 1.0? :)

I am not able to answer most of that, you should ask ferram (but remember its a dev build until its not a dev build anymore).

Was very stable to me, and since it can map any kind of shape, mods certainly work just fine.

Last build I played at was still using the old wing code, but even if that changes, pwings would still work, because shapes.

I don't work on the mod so no idea on when it drops.

ferram never took more than a few days tho.

And hell yes, area ruling is just too awesome.

Can someone please tell me how to denerf the damn jet engines.... I deleted the relevant bits from the FAR config yet the damn things are still getting nerfed, if I deleted the whole FAR folder the engines are no longer nerfed when I start the game.

FerramAerospaceResearch.cfg: There's one specific patch for each of the Squad jets, and a general one that cuts thrust by 50% on everything without a FAR patch (all 4 are together)

Alternatively, you have B9 or SETI far pack installed and they are the ones cutting into your jets (if the turbo stops at 1km/s this is your problem)

Here's my take on it. Still using a keyboard though..

Nice! Having both canards and elevators is an interesting solution, since it allows the pitching surfaces to not stall without inducing a strong pitching moment which would either cause you to stall out of control or kill your AoA. Has this solution been used on any real aircraft?

- - - Updated - - -

Can someone please tell me how to denerf the damn jet engines.... I deleted the relevant bits from the FAR config yet the damn things are still getting nerfed, if I deleted the whole FAR folder the engines are no longer nerfed when I start the game.

Do you have B9 installed? B9 nerfs them further, but it's in a cfg you can delete easily.

Nice! Having both canards and elevators is an interesting solution, since it allows the pitching surfaces to not stall without inducing a strong pitching moment which would either cause you to stall out of control or kill your AoA. Has this solution been used on any real aircraft?

The Su-30, 33 and a few other Sukhois which I based the plane on use this design. Check this out:

^^ Lots of incredible post-stall maneuvering here.

Edited by BahamutoD

You missed a video of Sukohoi's however I am unsure weather it even possible in KSP

I did an imgur album of doing that on the previous thread page - that's one of the easier things to do. What looks awkward is doing a 360 spin around the yaw axis which I've seen a video of aSu-30 ( I think ) doing quite happily.

Very nice, BD! I need to build a slightly heavier plane I think, the one I have is agile but a bit too twitchy for a keyboard. One thing I noticed about the airshow display was yaw control using the horizontal stabilizers post-stall, which I think is beyond us right now - I guess Crzymdmn could work something into his plugin( ahem! ).

If we're getting area ruling we're going to need quite a pile of new procedural parts...

Edited by Van Disaster

Here's my take on it. Still using a keyboard though..

Wow, nice camera work!

I have been trying to make a proper supermaneuverable plane again, but i cannot seem to get rid of strong pitching moments when the main wings stall. Will keep trying :)

Btw. are there already details known about the new stock aerodynamics? Does it respect the wings shape like FAR, does it have compressibility effects and all the good stuff?

If we're getting area ruling we're going to need quite a pile of new procedural parts...

No, not really, you can partially clip parts, yes it is that awesome.

Oh, the extra 20fps are also welcome.

@DaMichael: place the main wings in a way that when they stall their center of pressure is inline with the center of mass.

If pitches up move it back, if pitches down move it forward.

All this supermaneuverability stuff, well I will see what I get when I am back home.

Edited by tetryds

I was thinking of something with skinny wings (for minimal drag in stall), canards as stabilators and as canards, with some hefty -AoA on both sets of pitch surfaces. Not worth designing anything until Monday, though...

Windward is keeping me busy this weekend.

Oh, I totally missed your post. Not even Google knows nuFAR, is it a new version?

Yeah, it's the latest dev version, it works differently.

I will let ferram explain the details, and try to stop building hype on it, haha.

@Wander: I want to go full stock on mine, I have ideas on how to amplify the gimbal, let's ses how it goes.

Will certainly need reactive leading edges too.

FerramAerospaceResearch.cfg: There's one specific patch for each of the Squad jets, and a general one that cuts thrust by 50% on everything without a FAR patch (all 4 are together)

Alternatively, you have B9 or SETI far pack installed and they are the ones cutting into your jets (if the turbo stops at 1km/s this is your problem)

Already deleted the relevant FAR patch code, deleted the B9 file and don't have SETI, yet still getting nerfed jets.

edit... found it.

Edited by Donziboy2

No, not really, you can partially clip parts, yes it is that awesome.

Well, you can make coke-bottle shapes with existing proc structural parts/tanks, but it's not great given all the joints & part count. These days area rule shaping isn't quite so blatant & I don't think we have the part shape control to do things like bulged wing roots, etc.

"nuFAR" is the voxelAero branch on github I'm assuming, unless I missed a memo somewhere.

Edited by Van Disaster

Does camber of wings help increase lift with FAR? Because I really want to increase lift for my aircraft. They need to land at speeds around 230 kph, and even then they are unstable. And is there any way to solve the flaps-causing-stall issue? I can't make flaps, or any high-lift devices for that matter, work over 12 degrees of deflection reliably. Every time I have flaps open and I pitch up the slightest bit, they stall and I need to nose down really far to stick the airflow back on to the top.

(In addition, but this is less of a problem, flaps under the wing cause a stall. See the Messerschmitt Me 163 "Komet" for an example. Its flaps are mounted under the wings.)

Has anyone managed to make flaps work at high degrees of deflection (45-60 degrees preferably, but anything at all helps)? I know that to make the flaps bigger would make more lift even if AoA stayed the same... but I want to find how to increase lift through increasing AoA without causing a stall.

Does camber of wings help increase lift with FAR? Because I really want to increase lift for my aircraft. They need to land at speeds around 230 kph, and even then they are unstable. And is there any way to solve the flaps-causing-stall issue? I can't make flaps, or any high-lift devices for that matter, work over 12 degrees of deflection reliably. Every time I have flaps open and I pitch up the slightest bit, they stall and I need to nose down really far to stick the airflow back on to the top.

(In addition, but this is less of a problem, flaps under the wing cause a stall. See the Messerschmitt Me 163 "Komet" for an example. Its flaps are mounted under the wings.)

Has anyone managed to make flaps work at high degrees of deflection (45-60 degrees preferably, but anything at all helps)? I know that to make the flaps bigger would make more lift even if AoA stayed the same... but I want to find how to increase lift through increasing AoA without causing a stall.

Use leading edges to fix the stall issue, it helps a lot.

Yes, cambering increases lift, make sure you are making a cambered wing out of multiple wing parts.

So, what happens to ferram now that KSP has a new aerodynamics model?

Comes up with an even better and more kickass solution, ofc.

Thing is, now everybody flies on decent aero, FAR users fly on even better aero.

Naturally, stock will be enough for some people.

I feel better being able to play on both, and will do so :)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.