[1.3.1] Ferram Aerospace Research: v0.15.9.1 "Liepmann" 4/2/18

ferram4

Make wing mass depend only on the part and the strength rating, and leave it up to the player to set the wing roots stronger than the wingtips. What, if any, problems would that cause to FAR?

The biggest I foresee is a potential uptick in "I hate aerodynamic disassembly" type support requests because people didn't RTFM.

@ferram4: I'm with cantab here, the player has the freedom to mess up.

I don't really see why to "fix" that, it's not like the building process did not matter in real life, why wouldn't it matter on KSP?

If you want to come up with a more complex and realistic mass distribution for the wings, that would be cool, but I don't think that is a role for FAR, maybe an extra plugin.

But remember that if people are exploding their planes right out of the runway it's certain that they are doing something very wrong.

There were massive slowdowns when tweaking wings and control surfaces before, but that issue got fixed, maybe something slipped there.

I'm really starting to dig nuFAR. I made this jet that I'm pretty pleased with. It's sorta based on the F-5 and F-20.

Despite the very wavy yellow line, it gets just past mach 1 at sea level.

The handling characteristics are pretty good, it can do crazy high aoa stuff at low speeds and as it speeds up, it becomes increasingly civilized but still capable of high g turns.

Man, I really can't wait for this mod to get better, and for parts designed for it to arrive. The possibilities will be huge.

Javascript is disabled. View full album

http://imgur.com/a/PGnIR

Edited by Shazbot

Hummm B9 Pwings and B9 Procedural fairings managed to get the wave drag area to 0.179 m3 and the max cross section down to 3.412 but the game keeps crashing every time I get upto 1.6k m/s, I'm running an 3 day old dev version so there have probably been changes to I'll just update and hope it doesn't undo all the work

wUh0VT4.jpg

Oh and dw about the images I'm using Texture Management and it makes the some icons not work *shrugs* Oh yeah its an SSTO has enough deltaV to get to space... and dw the deltaV on the image is the air breathing deltaV not the closed loop deltaV... Yeah an SSTO that can go to jool and back again with stock part f*** yeah. No it only has 1202 DeltaV in the closed loop mode but with the speed I have gotten up to its enough for orbital injection and de-orbiting

Edited by etheoma

Hummm Spent 3 - 4 hours trying to get the Cross section down as far as I could with just using B9 Pwings and B9 Procedural fairings managed to get the wave drag area to 0.179 m3 but the game keeps crashing every time I get upto 1.6k m/s

looks pretty badass. Do B9 wings work flawlessly with nuFAR?

looks pretty badass. Do B9 wings work flawlessly with nuFAR?

Well the 1.0 maintenance version seems to, its been patch to work so it should do.

- - - Updated - - -

Ah wanna say nice work to ferram as NuFAR enables you to actually get more out of your plane/space plane by putting more time into it which is great. Although after updating to the most resent FAR version that seems to be less true now, but I understand that some people might not want to optimize there craft as much, and it was a little OP.

Edited by etheoma

I'm really starting to dig nuFAR. I made this jet that I'm pretty pleased with. It's sorta based on the F-5 and F-20.

I have to ask where did you get that nose from?

Ferram4 I love the NuFAR, even though I have only made 2 working aircraft so far. I am excited by the new challenges, now I just need to figure out the new graph system that you have there, I am assuming the yellow line is you CD and the green line is the CL? And you want the yellow line as smooth as possible?

I am going to stick to the other readings to figure out how to build a plane again.

Ferram4 I love the NuFAR, even though I have only made 2 working aircraft so far. I am excited by the new challenges, now I just need to figure out the new graph system that you have there, I am assuming the yellow line is you CD and the green line is the CL? And you want the yellow line as smooth as possible?

I am going to stick to the other readings to figure out how to build a plane again.

Read a few pages back, there are some explanations.

Green line is cross-sectional area, yellow line is how smooth it is, yellow line should be as close to zero as possible.

Derivatives are broken, so time to use your brain there :)

Read a few pages back, there are some explanations.

Green line is cross-sectional area, yellow line is how smooth it is, yellow line should be as close to zero as possible.

Derivatives are broken, so time to use your brain there :)

Good to know. Now I just need to get some landing gear I like and can work with, then get back to designing new high performance figher SSTOs, and deep space Space plane SSTOs.

I am really waiting for Retro Future parts to update so I can get back to those parts, those were some awesome cockpit and fuselage parts and BDs Adjustable landing gear.

The nose is an (empty) NCS adapter (under fuel tanks) + CH-J3 (under command & control). The CH-J3's antenna seems to make it way better than the other small nosecone.

In other news, turns out the tiger thing super-maneuverable! I made it so that when you press brakes, the airbrake and the ailerons swing straight up. By pressing B and pulling up it can do cobras and even backflips and other things that will end in tears. The post-stall control is rather good when you ignore the fact that the wings sometimes like to tip over and slam you into the ground.

Javascript is disabled. View full album

http://imgur.com/a/wwIrY

Edited by Shazbot

May I ask what nuFAR is and how to get it?

For those wondering exactly what nuFAR / voxelFAR / vesselCenteredFAR does compared to previous versions, it basically does away with the part-centered operation of the previous FAR versions (the same behavior that powers NEAR and newStock) in favor of a vessel-centered approach. Instead of the part-centered complications of determining the interactions between parts (which are never done exactly right) it'll create a voxel model of the vehicle to work with, like these guys:...

This should answer your question as to what nuFar is. Though I would HIGHLY suggest reading Ferram's full post (I stripped it down a bit).

Where to get it? Ferram has a link to the source on GitHub in the first post. You'll be looking for voxelAero (for KSP 0.90) or voxelAeroPort (for KSP 1.0+).

The nose is an (empty) NCS adapter (under fuel tanks) + CH-J3 (under command & control). The CH-J3's antenna seems to make it way better than the other small nosecone.

In other news, turns out the tiger thing super-maneuverable! I made it so that when you press brakes, the airbrake and the ailerons swing straight up. By pressing B and pulling up it can do cobras and even backflips and other things that will end in tears. The post-stall control is rather good when you ignore the fact that the wings sometimes like to tip over and slam you into the ground.

I may have to find that part when I get home later and test it out, way better looking nose than what I am currently using.

is "nuFAR" the updated version of far? May I have a link to it please? Can't find it.

It's the development version of the new voxel aero version. Go to the Github page linked in the OP, then select the VoxelAeroPort branch and download the repository. Make sure you have ModularFlightIntegrator (can be found easily by search).

I'm gonna say this right now: If you're trying to get a dev version of FAR working, and you're going to try and do that without any research about what it needs, you deserve it not working. It's still a dev ersion for a reason, and I haven't packaged it for release because it's not finished. I'd like to ask everyone who keeps trying to help people who clearly can't be bothered to read back a few posts to stop helping them because they're not going to help the dev process at all.

If it continues I'll simply stop pushing the updates to github and wait until it's ready for release, because at this point the thread has turned into a spam of people who are too impatient to wait but are too clueless to do research.

I have been playing with that baby (all stock parts):

fH7fH07.png

with airbrakes deployed:

hr8jdyG.png

And it's working nicely with the new voxel version, although it's still a bit too willing to roll on its side (but no side slip, what gives, i'll find out) maybe a bit of dihedral will help. It's got separate elevons for pitch and roll, and leading edge slats for AoA stability. I found out that tilting the tails a little this way gives more stability....

Also cant wait for B9 update, we need lower profile landing gears !

Edited by Surefoot

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.