[1.3.1] Ferram Aerospace Research: v0.15.9.1 "Liepmann" 4/2/18

ferram4

Wing section thickness has no bearing on stability at lower speeds. All it does is reduce the stall angle and make stalling (when it happens) more severe. In the end, the lift slope is the same and doesn't care about the thickness of the wing.

Also, the X-1 has 0 sweep. The wings are completely straight, with only some minor tapering as they get closer to the tips. The wing section is a NACA 0008 at the root, IIRC, compared to the NACA 2412 on the Cessna, so it's about 2/3 the thickness, and both are thin enough for thin airfoil theory to be perfectly valid.

Just an FYI, installed FAR and ModularFlightIntergrator, and this caused serious VAB errors with KIS when trying to load craft files

It's you. I have all those myself among others with no problems. Logs and a clean install b4 bug reports thanks!

- - - Updated - - -

...Firespitter hasn't been updated in like ever...

Your wrong unless you mean something more specific :)

It's you. I have all those myself among others with no problems. Logs and a clean install b4 bug reports thanks!

Thank you for that very condescending answer.

This is a clean install. and considering I can read logs files, its exactly what I said it was

removing far and modularflightintergrator removed the exceptions.

Edited by darqen27

This is a clean install. and considering I can read logs files, its exactly what I said it was

Thanks for a useless bug report. Improve your report and it may be useful. So then why am I having no issues?

What are we to do without logs? We have no idea what "issue" you have. We have the same evidence that you're wrong as you do that your right. I will admit I am wrong should you provide proof of said "issue". Thanks!

Edited by Svm420

Has anyone had trouble with parachute deployment on reentry? It deploys initially, but fails to unfold fully before the thing smacks into the ground. I thought it might be my reentry profile but I've tried a few different ones and the same thing keeps happening. I don't think it's a bug but probably some feature of FAR that I haven't adapted my craft design to account for. Any ideas?

Please, share your output_log when you have an issue like that, it's impossible to download and try out every mod combination that is said to cause issues for testing.

Esp. when it causes errors or crashes the game.

And stop fighting.

@rriegner: Try to replace or move some part with the gizmos and see if it updates.

Edited by tetryds

Looks like some funky stuff going on with the voxels from procedural fairings. Known issue/incompatibility?

http://i.imgur.com/446iGkb.jpg

Known the mod hasnt been updated for .15FAR so isnt telling FAR the shape is changing. Anecdotally it may help to detach and reattach the part to let FAR know of the change YMMV.

Known the mod hasnt been updated for .15FAR so isnt telling FAR the shape is changing. Anecdotally it may help to detach and reattach the part to let FAR know of the change YMMV.

Svm420, you should perhaps stop while your ahead. You are not adding anything to the discussion, you are not helping anyone out.

Rriegner, I would wait until Procedural Fairings are updated for FAR.15.

Just a friendly note: if you're using a propeller engine that isn't patched by AJE, you're going to get a rocket engine with a spinny bit, not a propeller, and it's probably tuned for 0.90's soup. So don't be surprised if you get whack performance.

Just a friendly note: if you're using a propeller engine that isn't patched by AJE, you're going to get a rocket engine with a spinny bit, not a propeller, and it's probably tuned for 0.90's soup. So don't be surprised if you get whack performance.

Where does that put KAX?

removing far and modularflightintergrator removed the exceptions.

Originally it wasn't, but now that you are so defensive about it, he most likely will be. He merely stated that it was likely you who are having the issue. I have all the mods you suggest as well and am having no problem, other than the ones they know about (flipping pods).

Take a chill pill.

Looks like some funky stuff going on with the voxels from procedural fairings. Known issue/incompatibility? Or is it something on my end?

How do you get that view? Sorry I'm so newb.

Edited by Gaugeforever

I'm trying to put together some configs for the fins from RoverDude's sounding rockets. I've been using this tutorial, but most of the configs in FerramAerospaceResearch.cfg also have the property "rootMidChordOffsetFromOrig", which isn't mentioned in the tutorial or the readme.

I've tried searching the thread, but that's too long a term, apparently. Can anyone explain how I go about deriving these values?

I'm trying to put together some configs for the fins from RoverDude's sounding rockets. I've been using this tutorial, but most of the configs in FerramAerospaceResearch.cfg also have the property "rootMidChordOffsetFromOrig", which isn't mentioned in the tutorial or the readme.

I've tried searching the thread, but that's too long a term, apparently. Can anyone explain how I go about deriving these values?

Approaching this from a different angle, why not look in the 1.1 download for a FAR config. Might save you some heartburn. https://github.com/BobPalmer/SoundingRockets/releases

Please, share your output_log when you have an issue like that, it's impossible to download and try out every mod combination that is said to cause issues for testing.

Esp. when it causes errors or crashes the game.

Of course, sorry. Didn't think to do so since it wasn't causing a crash (well, not a software crash anyway) https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8pmvqXqfluEa0ZaX1NrbUhnbEE/view?usp=sharing

@darqen27: And all of that is great and wonderful, but without the log, if it is something on my end, I can't fix it. You might be able to read logs, but I can't read your computer screen from here (though it would save so much time fixing bugs if I could). So with that in mind, would you kindly post the entire, complete log and full reproduction steps?

@Phylan: Update to 1.0.2. Apparently some things changed in between that RealChuteLite relies on.

Edited by ferram4

I too have issues re-entring with a ship composed of a Mk1 pod, Mk16 chute, small service module, and a stock heat shield. The craft is stable holding shield-first until the drag becomes too large and the craft spins and breaks apart to to aero forces. The ship does about 2g shield first, and over 6g broadside first so I'd think the shield first orientation should be stable.

I've tried to put rear oriented fins on the pod, and that makes the pod stable for a while.

Can recreate with pictures or the like if needed.

edit: Thanks for all your efforts, KSP is all but unplayable without FAR

Edited by Stratoroc

I too have issues re-entring with a ship composed of a Mk1 pod, Mk16 chute, small service module, and a stock heat shield. The craft is stable holding shield-first until the drag becomes too large and the craft spins and breaks apart to to aero forces. The ship does about 2g shield first, and over 6g broadside first so I'd think the shield first orientation should be stable.

I've tried to put rear oriented fins on the pod, and that makes the pod stable for a while.

Can recreate with pictures or the like if needed.

edit: Thanks for all your efforts, KSP is all but unplayable without FAR

he yelled at me for re-reporting this :P he knows about the reentry thing.

One additional question - how to design plane to avoid this annoying pendulum effect during ascent or descent?

With stock model, when my CoM and CoL were to distant apart and I took nose high or low my plane started to sway up and down, now with FAR, even when my CoM and CoL are completely aligned, plane still sways like seesaw.

That's called the plane being stable but not having much damping. There are two solutions:

1) add more wing surface far from the CoM, but keep the CoL about the same. This will result in more damping.

2) move the CoL ahead of the CoM. This will result in the plane being unstable, preventing it from wanting to head back to its original orientation, fixing the seesawing. This is unlikely to be the solution you wnat though.

But seriously, this is actually the way planes behave if you slam the controls all over the place (like, say, if you're using a keyboard without pulse width modulating your inputs).

Just an FYI guys, if anyone else was using the Dynamic Deflections mod, and they started crashing after installing FAR, they're not compatible with eachother, removing Dynamic Deflections makes FAR work again.

Here's the output log from a crash if interested at all

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-ag7o0NLWZoV0Q3MnUxMU5tRWM/view?usp=sharing

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.