[1.3.1] Ferram Aerospace Research: v0.15.9.1 "Liepmann" 4/2/18

ferram4

Guy I can confirm Deadly Reenty Kills the stock heat shields and produce some strange effects wit FAR, so I uninstalled it.

Question: How can I check is my craft is asymmetric and will turn ?

Also on the stock toolbar the FAR icon dose not load and it is a white square for me, can I fix it somehow ?

If you are using DDS converter you need to exclude FAR from it. FAR UI icons are already 1kb, there is not much point to compress those.

Your craft can be symetric and still turn on high altitudes. Sideslip/Yaw unstability have litlle with symetry, but such questions are better for official FAR craft repository thread.

Link for that thread is in OP and also in my signature.

I'll set up a nothing-but-FAR install, go fly like an idiot and try to cause some aero-disassembly-induced computer crashes. Most of the time it does that it goes down too fast to generate the normal crash reports, though; is ther any useful info I can salvage from those?

Hey Ferram when do you think we might see a fix to the problems i have with the control surfaces/airbrakes?

edit: just tested it, still bugged :/

:C

edit2: not sure if related to your dev builds but my plane keeps resetting to the airfield after i fly and revert to VAB, so I have to recover it after each test flight. Your mod is the only thing i changed from before, when this didnt happen. Not a big issue though.

Would love it if you could fix the issue with the control surfaces.

I'm practically waiting for you to update this so i can continue working on my KSP planes and shuttles. I tried to move my control surfaces further out, it works okay, i guess. Still it creates extra drag when undeployed, looks unappealing, and every now and then it seems i still get some ignoring of a flap or an airbrake or something.

Edited by DuxDucisHodiernus

You should install GCmonitor. It just shows how much memory currently is used, so you can know when it is going to crash.

Despite latest flight manager and FAR dev bulid along with latest dll provided by ferram in page or two back I still having memory leak.

I just fly plane around, without overheting and memory usage goes up slowly. I just preparing separate KSP install to narow down with least amount of mods installed to be able pinpoint more precisely which mod causes that. Temperathure overlay disabled to meake sure it is not stock issue. I will report here if I find anything usefull.

ferram, I have been using your essential mod since I know of it's existence. I would like to express my heartfelt thanks for creating every version and then creating this next evolution which I never even dreamed of. I know you have heard this a few thousand times before, but if it were up to me your aerodynamics would be stock. I find Squads stance on the matter somewhat hypocritical since space works as you would expect it to work, no punches pulled but the aerodynamics are compromised for "fun". You are seriously awesome and please don't stop improving upon your great if not to say revolutionary work! :cool:

It still can fly even with such unstable graph if you put 4 x fins at bottom and very gently steer rocket so it can stay near prograde vector.

Not to be confrontational but why would you ever want to do anything else with a rocket anyway? They are not meant for great in atmosphere maneuverability. They are meant for putting stuff in space. Best thing to do is to pitch your rocket early after launch about 10 degrees in the direction you want to go and let it tip over by itself along the prograde vector only nudging it a bit for correctional purposes flying as gently a gravity turn as possible. That is how it works in reality also. If you do that the stability readouts won't matter much at all.

Edited by Flashblade

I'll set up a nothing-but-FAR install, go fly like an idiot and try to cause some aero-disassembly-induced computer crashes. Most of the time it does that it goes down too fast to generate the normal crash reports, though; is ther any useful info I can salvage from those?

Okay; after the sad death of a dozen test pilots, I can confirm that aero failures aren't causing game or computer crashes on a nothing-but-FAR install. So, it's probably not a laptop problem, and it's not a just-FAR problem; either another mod is playing up or it's a general memory load thing that requires the additional strain of some other mods.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/66kcmkb5mdzgd64/output_log.txt?dl=0 is an output log from my modded install, from a time when it crashed the game but not the whole computer.

Toolbar

Chatterer

ContractPacks

DistantObject

Dynamic Controls

Enhanced Navball

FAR

Firespitter

Hyomoto

IntakeBuildAid

JSI

KAX

KerbalEngineer

KerbalFlightData

KerbalFlightIndicators

MechJeb2

ModularFlightIntegrator

Pilot Assistant

Planetshine

RCS Build Aid

StockBugFix

TAC-LS

Kerbal Alarm Clock

Waypoint Manager

Module Manager

The laptop is a Dell Latitude E6320 running Windows 7 with 8GB RAM.

Edited by Wanderfound

Not to be confrontational but why would you ever want to do anything else with a rocket anyway? They are not meant for great in atmosphere maneuverability. They are meant for putting stuff in space. Best thing to do is to pitch your rocket early after launch about 10 degrees in the direction you want to go and let it tip over by itself along the prograde vector only nudging it a bit for correctional purposes flying as gently a gravity turn as possible. That is how it works in reality also. If you do that the stability readouts won't matter much at all.

You have quoted only part of my answer and if you didn't looked at original post, my sentence does not have much sense. Whole thing is about not understanding FAR graphs and question will Dermeisters rocket fly properly or not.

It is "normal" for rockets to be unstable if you don't steer it too much from prograde vector, like you said, they were controled trough gimbals and fins to stay on prograde vector.

However, you still have to watch out for torque, if it is too high near zero AoA, you will not be able to control it trough gimbal or fins. FAR graph will reveal it if you know how to read it.

Edited by kcs123

I cannot reproduce any heatshield issues. The msot aggressive reentry I tried had me hit 3.3 km/s, I burned off nearly all the ablator on the heat shield, and the shield took the entire hit.

Alright. I want to know everything about how anyone having any issues installed FAR, where they got it from, what other mods they're using, what steps they took to produce issues, their computer specs, OS, how many processes they're running in the background and how much of the processor is being used by KSP and other things. Something screwy is going on here, but it's not on my machine, and I can't find any of these issues no matter how hard I try. So we're back to me taking shots in the dark and hoping that maybe I hit something, but for all I can tell, you guys might as well just be trolling me for all the luck I've had reproducing these issues.

Sorry for the late response. I have an exam tomorrow, so I'm preparing with my group for that. Later tonight I'll run all the tests and I can, a document all that you have requested and more :)

Fresh KSP1.0.2 install with mods:

GCMonitor
ModularFlightIntegrator
FerramAerospaceResearch - dev build 9a69b589de

All of those manualy installed by downloading trough official pages, without CKAN, to exclude even this from possible causes of memory leaks.

CPU: i7-4790K@4Ghz

RAM: 32 GB

GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX760

Memory leaks still occur, although not so fast as with bunch of other mods installed. I have disabled manualy temperature gauge trough F10, to exclude this stock bug, even when I didn't fly craft at all, I have used Rover on runway for test. Because memory usage grows at much slower rate and you have plenty of free memory left compared with install with bunch of other mods you may have not notice memory leaking without GCMonitor.

Another strange thing noticed. Crafts left near runway are despawned from game.

Steps to reproduce:

1) Launched small rover that is meant to be used as Nav beacon near runway. Drive it near end of runway, pull brake.

2) Go back to KSP center and again to SPH for another rover

3) Game informs that is already craft on runway that needs to be cleared before proceed launch. I could swear that I placed rover far enough, but OK, I have repeated process. placed second rower on oposite side even further away from runway.

4) Back to KSC and SPH. This time, game does not complain that is something already on runway, but once on runway you can see that previously placed rover is not on his spot.

5) Go to SPH and load some premade craft - on loading craft become broken, only root part (cockpit) is loaded.

At first I noticed it trough previously placed flags and I have repeated whole thing with rovers.

Edited by kcs123

@Dermeister: It's linked in the OP. You did read that first, right? ;)

@Volt: If you're getting frequent update messages for no apparent reason, then either A) FAR's voxelization broke (try the dev build on github, I think I killed it), or B) some mod is sending lots of "HEY THE VESSEL CHANGED SHAPE GUYZ!" messages, and then FAR does its duty and revoxelizes everything.

It is highly unlikely that there is actually a memory leak in FAR, considering most of the issues currently seem to be caused by my addition of code to cap voxel memory usage and only comes into play once lots of voxels are needed all at once (to the best of my knowledge).

@Dedalous, Sokar408, anyone else with the issue: You should try this dll from the repo, I think it fixes that.

@smartdummies: I believe the dev build (link above) has that fixed. Only happens in space because I was a dumb-dumb.

Working great now. Thanks!

On the topic of heat shields. Alright here goes:

My Spec:

CPU: Core i7 4790K

GPU: GTX 970

RAM: 16 GB

Where did I get FAR?

From the download link in on the frontpage (KerbalStuff), with a swoop out of the the FAR dll, as adviced by you ferram (link: https://github.com/ferram4/Ferram-Aerospace-Research/raw/master/GameData/FerramAerospaceResearch/Plugins/FerramAerospaceResearch.dll)

Other mods:

Kerbal Engineer

Editor Extension

MJ

Transfer Window

TAC Life Support

Science Alert

Adjustable Landing Gear

AmbientLightAdjustment

Diazo's 250 Hotkey thing (don't remember the name)

KAS

KIS

MagicSmokeIndustries (IR)

ModuleRCSFX

Docking Aligment Window (NavyFish)

RemoteTech

SCANsat

StageRecovery

TemperatureGaugeKiller

TweakScale

FieldScientistPack (addon for KIS)

PreciseNode

HyperEdit

Ravien (Thermo Gauge)

StockFix's (http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/97285-KSP-v1-0-2-Stock-Bug-Fix-Modules-%28Release-v1-0-2d-2-14-May-15%29)

Re-entry heating rebalance (made harder) & heatshield conduction fix (v.1.1) (http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/119308-1-0-2-Re-entry-heating-rebalance-%28made-harder%29-heatshield-conduction-fix-%28v-1-1%29)

What steps I took to produce the issue:

Made a craft (Parachute, Mk1 Pod, Heat Shield). HyperEdit'd to 1 mill km orbit. Adjust Prograde Speed by -500. Then let the craft reenter the atmosphere, with the heat shield in front.

What happens?

The heat shield loses about 10 ablator, then the Mk1 Pod explodes due to overheating.

What is running the background?

A few chrome tabs, steam, and various other background applications

I'll now do a clean install of KSP, ONLY install FAR, and let you know (edit this post) if its still happening.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

EDIT:

Made a clean reinstall from Steam. Redownloaded FAR from github, coupled with a redownload of the Dev dll fra the link above. I also added HyperEdit, in order to be able to reproduce the scene exactly. I up the resolution to 1080p, up the texture setting from half, to full, and add 8x antialiasing, and set terrain detail to high.

Did the same thing as above mentioned. This time 10 Ablator was used, but the capsule survived, and temp gauges didn't show up at all.

I will now add mods from the old mod folder, until this changes. I'll let you know what I find (editing this post)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I found the problem with my install. After mixing and matching, the problem is clear. Its the "Re-entry heating rebalance (made harder) & heatshield conduction fix (v.1.1)", which I have installed because I don't think the standard reentry heating is sufficient to offer a decently realistic challenge.

@PHYSICSGLOBALS
{
@convectionVelocityExponent = 3.35
}

@PART[HeatShield*]
{
@thermalMassModifier = 0.5
}

@RESOURCE_DEFINITION[Ablator]
{
@hsp = 1000
}

I assume the problem arises due to FAR completely changing the atmosphere and how it works, and thus these settings doesn't change the same things as they do in vanilla. Without DRE working well with FAR (Been reading about a few problems with DRE and FAR together in the DRE thread), could you recommend some way of mimicing the changes this patch tries to make, while using FAR?

Edited by Sokar408

I assume the problem arises due to FAR completely changing the atmosphere and how it works, and thus these settings doesn't change the same things as they do in vanilla. Without DRE working well with FAR (Been reading about a few problems with DRE and FAR together in the DRE thread), could you recommend some way of mimicing the changes this patch tries to make, while using FAR?

I've actually been getting good results from stock heating (no DRE) and FAR. Spaceplane reentries are safe if you're careful, suicidal if you're stupid. Feels about right. I haven't tested it much with pods, though.

I've actually been getting good results from stock heating (no DRE) and FAR. Spaceplane reentries are safe if you're careful, suicidal if you're stupid. Feels about right. I haven't tested it much with pods, though.

Stock heating + FAR means that about 10 Ablator is lost on a 2675 m/s reentry at about 45 degree entry angle. This to me is "FAR" from acceptable :/

Hey Ferram when do you think we might see a fix to the problems i have with the control surfaces/airbrakes?

edit: just tested it, still bugged :/

:C

edit2: not sure if related to your dev builds but my plane keeps resetting to the airfield after i fly and revert to VAB, so I have to recover it after each test flight. Your mod is the only thing i changed from before, when this didnt happen. Not a big issue though.

Would love it if you could fix the issue with the control surfaces.

I'm practically waiting for you to update this so i can continue working on my KSP planes and shuttles. I tried to move my control surfaces further out, it works okay, i guess. Still it creates extra drag when undeployed, looks unappealing, and every now and then it seems i still get some ignoring of a flap or an airbrake or something.

Also my wings are starting to stall at places due to the flaps and spoilers i've had to install offset further outside the wing distrupting airflow... :CCC

ALSO: everytime i toggle my gears/landing wheels my flaps/spoilers/airbrakes stop working for some reason and have to be retoggled again. And yes, this also still happens even if i have offset them some.

edit: ... latest dev build seems to have killed all my missions. I'm reverting back to stable.

edit2: reverted to stable release, and reloaded quicksave. This time after reloading my active "flights" were kept and not deleted...

Edited by DuxDucisHodiernus

Same issue as reported by DuxDucisHodiernus: The latest development build destroys all running missions. The ships disappear, the crew gets marked as missing in action. If it helps, here's a complete error report:

My Spec:

CPU: AMD FX-6350

GPU: R9 270X with Mesa Gallium3D

RAM: 8 GB

KSP version used: 1.0.2, started using the 64bit Linux binary.

Where did I get FAR?

Latest dev build from Github, master branch (commit: 9a69b589de24f4e37ba6d3f416ea83edc012965d )

Other mods:

Module Manager

Modular Flight Integrator

Fresh KSP install (1.0.2 Linux version), with just FAR dev build and the dependencies

Start new sandbox game

Launch a craft (can stay on Kerbin - I just rolled a command pod off the launch pad)

Go to VAB, load a craft (can be the Autosaved craft just launched), open the FAR dialogue, press the "Sweep AoA" button, and boom...

What happens?

All tracked objects disappear, all Kerbals in crafts are marked as missing in action.

What's supposed to happen?

Nothing special, crafts just shouldn't disappear...

KDE desktop, Dolphin file manager, Firefox, cwiid (a wiimote userspace driver), Konsole. Full list: http://pastebin.com/C4twqL3C

Player.log:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bx3gTbeJuJRWVnlFX2VzQ29tZHc/view?usp=sharing

Can you say what's wrong with this thing? Like seriously, everythinglooks alright but everything turns red aloso, when I move the horizontal stabilisers even few centimeters back, CoL jumps few meters behind CoM.

lDofomz.png

EDIT: also it turns like a crap

Edited by bartekkru99

Can you say what's wrong with this thing? Like seriously, everythinglooks alright but everything turns red aloso, when I move the horizontal stabilisers even few centimeters back, CoL jumps few meters behind CoM.

http://i.imgur.com/lDofomz.png

EDIT: also it turns like a crap

Repost it in the craft forum (http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/121176-Official-FAR-Craft-Repository) and I'll help you with it.

Ok can I use Google drive? Also my ships from 0.90 behave differently despite the fact that in 1.0 only nosecone and cockpit changed a little

Whatever file host suits.

NuFAR is a major change; all your old ships will need tweaking.

Whatever file host suits.

NuFAR is a major change; all your old ships will need tweaking.

but not that derastic. my old fighter was capable of 15s full loop and now it takes over 25s.

Oh and I'm now registering on dropbox

Hm. Forgive me, but where eaxaclty can i download the dev build? I cant seem to find it on GitHub though im sure its right in front of my face...

Nevermind i found it on post #9495. Few days old though is that the right build? just a direct link, so...

Edited by Motokid600

Same issue as reported by DuxDucisHodiernus: The latest development build destroys all running missions. The ships disappear, the crew gets marked as missing in action. If it helps, here's a complete error report:

My Spec:

CPU: AMD FX-6350

GPU: R9 270X with Mesa Gallium3D

RAM: 8 GB

KSP version used: 1.0.2, started using the 64bit Linux binary.

Where did I get FAR?

Latest dev build from Github, master branch (commit: 9a69b589de24f4e37ba6d3f416ea83edc012965d )

Other mods:

Module Manager

Modular Flight Integrator

Fresh KSP install (1.0.2 Linux version), with just FAR dev build and the dependencies

Start new sandbox game

Launch a craft (can stay on Kerbin - I just rolled a command pod off the launch pad)

Go to VAB, load a craft (can be the Autosaved craft just launched), open the FAR dialogue, press the "Sweep AoA" button, and boom...

What happens?

All tracked objects disappear, all Kerbals in crafts are marked as missing in action.

What's supposed to happen?

Nothing special, crafts just shouldn't disappear...

KDE desktop, Dolphin file manager, Firefox, cwiid (a wiimote userspace driver), Konsole. Full list: http://pastebin.com/C4twqL3C

Player.log:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bx3gTbeJuJRWVnlFX2VzQ29tZHc/view?usp=sharing

I can confirm this. When you mentioned, I looked at completed contracts and they were all gone(career mode). I reverted back to last stable FAR 15.1 relesse and everything works "normal".

Meaning, memory leak is still present, but flags/rowers placed near runway are not despawned, contracts are still working.

I have also tested memory leaks with only modular flight integrator, module manager and temperature gauge killer installed. Memory leak still happens between scene change SPH/flight or flight/KSC.

That could be stock bug, but with FAR it seems that also happens during flight, by small amount. I will try some more tests with only GCMonitor, if possible.

Stock heating + FAR means that about 10 Ablator is lost on a 2675 m/s reentry at about 45 degree entry angle. This to me is "FAR" from acceptable :/

45 degree entry is really steep. So that seems about right. Remember that the steeper the entry the lower total heat (peak heat may be higher but the time spent heating is more important), but the higher g forces become.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.