[1.3.1] Ferram Aerospace Research: v0.15.9.1 "Liepmann" 4/2/18

ferram4

46 minutes ago, Camacha said:

Will there be any reason to change the viewpoint on the 64-bits build with the coming of 1.1, or do the same arguments still apply?

With the new version of Unity underneath, I think x64 windows will be considered innocent until proven unstable. So far I haven't had any bad luck or unusual crashing running the windows 64 bit version of the 1.1 builds, including the build that was released outside of beta yesterday.

Alright, so FAR v0.15.6, "Jones" is officially out, with compatibility for KSP 1.1 and all that stuff.  Today's codename is named after R.T. Jones, one of NACA / NASA's foremost aerodynamicists, famous for his work on swept, delta and oblique wing theory and research.  In particular, he was one of (if not the first) to develop and promote swept wings within the U.S. for high speed flight, although it took the defeat of Germany and the capture of classified German aerodynamics research data at the end of WWII for his ideas to be fully accepted.  Leading almost immediately to changes in the design of Boeing's new long-range bomber design, which quickly swapped its straight wings for swept ones, creating the B-47 Stratojet that is sadly somewhat overshadowed by the B-52 nowadays.

Anyways, there aren't that many visible changes, only lots of under-the-hood ones for 1.1 compatibility.  Oh, and win64 is no longer locked.  Changelog does have the details.

Yay! I was about to backdate my KSP to 1.0.5 because FAR wasn't out and stock aero is... well, F-16s can fly at under 30 m/s in stock, which is just bizarre.

Downloading immediately. Thanks Ferram4 and anyone else who's been involved in updating it.

awesome.  This marks the REAL official release of KSP 1.1; it's simply not playable without FAR. :)

I am, however, puzzled as to why a LOT of the mods that I know are updated for 1.1, this one included, are not showing up on CKAN.  Is this a problem with CKAN or is it something else?

Edited by ss8913

I've been testing FAR with the version that was on github a few hours ago (just upgraded to the new and going to bed)

all I can say is that it was an absolutely crashless experience at a very good performance

my super heavy sstos need a revision but i built a few spaceplanes, they suck at most mach/heights but I remember that I tweak a lot control surfaces/stuff to get a good controllable craft and as long as i can get into orbit/circularize and get back all is okay

one issue i have (that might be caused by other mods) was that wings/controlsurface configurable by FAR had no right click menu which OPT control surfaces and other space plane shuttles had (i think it were those parts) but couldn't be tweaked to be spoilers or reverse control perhaps it'll be different next restart or I need to make a module manager patch, perhaps it's a bug caused by too many mods and if soo I'll have a thorough look at the log but now bed time

thanks a lot for updating this!

-- edit --

would it be possible to add a pitch limit indicator and or fly by wire or is that the flight assistant toggle? (i notice that my SAS sometimes acts up weird unless I toggle it on/off)

Edited by lude

@lude: that means that you installed it incorrectly.  I don't know what went wrong, but what did go wrong is that FAR did not load up properly at all if FARControllableSurface modules were not applied to stock surfaces.

@ss8913: As I've said many times, CKAN is not my problem.  If they're being incompetent or slow like they normally are, that's their job to deal with.  This is what happens when you rely on unnecessary middlemen.

Edited by ferram4

6 hours ago, ss8913 said:

awesome.  This marks the REAL official release of KSP 1.1; it's simply not playable without FAR. :)

I am, however, puzzled as to why a LOT of the mods that I know are updated for 1.1, this one included, are not showing up on CKAN.  Is this a problem with CKAN or is it something else?

CKAN updates its registry only once in a while, so you usually see the updates several hours after they are made. But in this case, it lists the correct version of FAR, 0.15.6 (named, for some reason, "3:0.15.6" there), but marks it as KSP 1.0.5 only. I wonder if it's a CKAN problem or @ferram4 did not change metadata.

17 minutes ago, garwel said:

CKAN updates its registry only once in a while, so you usually see the updates several hours after they are made. But in this case, it lists the correct version of FAR, 0.15.6 (named, for some reason, "3:0.15.6" there), but marks it as KSP 1.0.5 only. I wonder if it's a CKAN problem or @ferram4 did not change metadata.

ferram4 takes no responsibility for maintaining the metadata.  I can tell you that it is in fact broken at this point, but this thread isn't really the place to discuss that.

1 hour ago, tempsgk said:

Maybe I didn't notice it, but using FAR causes  FPS to be lower. Is it natural/expected?

Well, seeing as how FAR's voxel calculations are MUCH more involved than stock "aerodynamics," I'd say its fairly par for the course.

As an aside, big time thanks to Ferram4 for making KSP the game it is. I, for one, can hardly bear to play without FAR.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.