[1.3.1] Ferram Aerospace Research: v0.15.9.1 "Liepmann" 4/2/18

ferram4

Hey guys I'm getting drag on parts that are inside cargo bays when using FAR is there something I can do to fix this?

I may have discovered my problem the bay I was using from OPT and the attachment nodes in the cargo bays are backwards once I put the part in payload in back words it seemed to clear up the drag problem... but I'm not positive about that becasue parts inside are still getting over heating... shouldn't a part in a bay be protected from outside air?

Edited by Sresk

I still think that this is the best mod ever made. I recently started tinkering with foamboard RC planes irl, and I have found myself using KSP + FAR as a design tool. I am still working on my first real plane right now, but once I get it finished (ghaa servos) I cannot wait to see if it flies like the ksp model. 

Two questions, one related to RC and one not-

Does FAR model the effects of close coupled canards, especially the airflow stabilizing effect they have with deltas at high AoAs? I tried to test this by having the same delta plane with canards either level with the wing (shouldn't couple) or slightly above it (should couple) but I didn't notice a difference. That said, I might be just doing it wrong. 

Now, I know that wings in KSP do not have camber (right?), but would far recognize a cambered wing made from multiple parts without using flaps? 

31 minutes ago, StevenRS11 said:

I still think that this is the best mod ever made. I recently started tinkering with foamboard RC planes irl, and I have found myself using KSP + FAR as a design tool. I am still working on my first real plane right now, but once I get it finished (ghaa servos) I cannot wait to see if it flies like the ksp model. 

Man I would love to think so too but every stinking time I install FAR it breaks somethings, either turns my cargo bys into kraken drives or throws NaN viruses, or in this most recent case breaks the ability of bays to shield cargo from drag and heat :(

2 hours ago, Sresk said:

Man I would love to think so too but every stinking time I install FAR it breaks somethings, either turns my cargo bys into kraken drives or throws NaN viruses, or in this most recent case breaks the ability of bays to shield cargo from drag and heat :(

That is weird indeed. This kind of issues were fixed way back in the past. Did you use CKAN to install FAR? Are you using 1.1.3?

8 hours ago, Nansuchao said:

That is weird indeed. This kind of issues were fixed way back in the past. Did you use CKAN to install FAR? Are you using 1.1.3?

yes and yes :/ and I've tried on 5 different times with several installs I just can't get far to work at least not with the amount of mods that I play with.

On 2016-09-24 at 4:18 PM, KSPNerd said:

I've been told to ask about if FAR will ever be able to calculate the aerodynamics of a single part, such as the spaceplanes in Contares. So will FAR ever be able to do that? It would be really useful to modders to allow them to make single part air/space-planes and have them FAR compatible.

FAR analyzes your craft, voxelizes it, and runs aero based on the voxel model.  So, if the mesh of the part accurately represents it's aero surface, it will be fine.

15 minutes ago, lordcirth said:

FAR analyzes your craft, voxelizes it, and runs aero based on the voxel model.  So, if the mesh of the part accurately represents it's aero surface, it will be fine.

Slight technicality, by default it voxelizes the collider (since that's usually simpler), however if need be you can force it to voxelize the visual mesh.

On 6.10.2016 at 2:19 AM, blowfish said:

Slight technicality, by default it voxelizes the collider (since that's usually simpler), however if need be you can force it to voxelize the visual mesh.

Btw, are the voxels updated during flight? I'd imagine that would get quite expensive, but it would be hard to avoid when staging or or after damage.

14 minutes ago, Temeter said:

Btw, are the voxels updated during flight? I'd imagine that would get quite expensive, but it would be hard to avoid when staging or or after damage.

Yes, it updates upon certain events like staging, damage, etc.  In fact, there used to be some bugs with IR where rotating parts wouldn't trigger a refresh.

Just now, lordcirth said:

Yes, it updates upon certain events like staging, damage, etc.  In fact, there used to be some bugs with IR where rotating parts wouldn't trigger a refresh.

I see, so it's based on events. Interesting!

FAR revoxelizes when parts are added to or removed from the ship.  This can be caused by any number of events, including staging, docking, part explosions, aerodynamic failure, etc.  Far also revoxelizes when certain animations update, however this can be overridden.

There is an event that other mods can call to force revoxelization.  Fortunately, it doesn't require compiling against FAR.

I say: stick with stock aero for now, and when @ferram4 is ready you will appreciate FAR even more for having played without it :) (kind of like hiding your toys in November so your Christmas pressies seem even more awesome!!)

@Tidus Klein maybe you could role play mid-career atmospheric upgrades as the affect of global warming? :P

1 hour ago, Blasty McBlastblast said:

I say: stick with stock aero for now, and when @ferram4 is ready you will appreciate FAR even more for having played without it :) (kind of like hiding your toys in November so your Christmas pressies seem even more awesome!!)

@Tidus Klein maybe you could role play mid-career atmospheric upgrades as the affect of global warming? :P

XD but ive already been playing the 1.2 pre.... :/ stock soup sucks XD but ill live my SSTO's will just have to deal with it

global warming XD more like global soupufication maybe all thous rockets have left a super dense layer of smog..but sense we all know liquid fuel is made if explodium its got no color :P

Edited by Tidus Klein

2 hours ago, Tidus Klein said:

XD but ive already been playing the 1.2 pre.... :/ stock soup sucks XD but ill live my SSTO's will just have to deal with it

Yeah, the thing I've noticed about stock aero in the prerelease is that the slope of the Cd vs. AoA curve is incredibly steep. Trying to turn your trajectory with lift throws away a huge amount of energy. There's not much engine mass saving to be had by building a spaceplane instead of a rocket.

1 hour ago, Vegemeister said:

Yeah, the thing I've noticed about stock aero in the prerelease is that the slope of the Cd vs. AoA curve is incredibly steep. Trying to turn your trajectory with lift throws away a huge amount of energy. There's not much engine mass saving to be had by building a spaceplane instead of a rocket.

Ya but ive noticed that changing it so that drag is set as acceleration instead of a force in the debug menu helps a little, its not far but it helps

@WildLynx: Sounds like it's the same issue that @Shadowmage made a PR for.  It should be fixed for the next release, but when I get a functional dev build up you should try that and see how it goes.

@Everyone Else: FAR dev build will be out soon-ish, as soon as I'm sure that everything functions properly enough to put up for testing and once KJR is in a working dev state so I can remove the effects of wobble from my testing.  Sorry about the delay, but patience.  I'd like to avoid having to do half a dozen patches to fix all the NaNs slipping into the aero calcs like the last few times.

1 hour ago, ferram4 said:

@WildLynx: Sounds like it's the same issue that @Shadowmage made a PR for.  It should be fixed for the next release, but when I get a functional dev build up you should try that and see how it goes.

@Everyone Else: FAR dev build will be out soon-ish, as soon as I'm sure that everything functions properly enough to put up for testing and once KJR is in a working dev state so I can remove the effects of wobble from my testing.  Sorry about the delay, but patience.  I'd like to avoid having to do half a dozen patches to fix all the NaNs slipping into the aero calcs like the last few times.

Your hard work is appreciated, thank you.

Already said on other thread, hype train for KSP 1.2. has arrived, now it is time to take a ticket for patience ferry and wait for mods to get updated.
No need to rush it, less frustration from developer and user side if less bugs sliped in.

On side note, does KJR is realy important since stock game have introduced rigid joints ? Does not those do same thing as KJR ? Except that KJR also have low gravity physics on craft load. Perhaps some small cfg patch to enable rigid joints on all parts and possible strength out if needed and only add low gravity physics on load will be enough ?

Sorry for a bit offtopic as this better fir KJR thread.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.