[1.3.1] Ferram Aerospace Research: v0.15.9.1 "Liepmann" 4/2/18

ferram4

Typical forum heroes. They refresh the forum all the time hoping to find someone who's asking for a mod update so they can rush in and copy/paste their typical comments, just to see their post count go up. Now, if you do a bit of research among my few posts, you'll find that I've never "bugged" modders for updates, nor will ever do that. All I've done was ask ferram how's coming along, politely. There's a huge difference between "hey, how's work coming along today?" and "I didn't see your report in my desk at 8am like I've asked". 

Sure I'm hoping to have an update for FAR soon, but my only intent with that comment was to start a dialog with ferram, chit-chat about the mod, how's it coming along, the difficulties, the progress, the discoveries... really anything he'd be willing to talk about. I've modded for many years and I've always enjoyed seeing comments of people showing interest and always loved replying to them regarding the work itself, NOT the ETA.

So just relax, go grab some ice tea.

Edited by JeeF

17 hours ago, JeeF said:

Typical forum heroes. They refresh the forum all the time hoping to find someone who's asking for a mod update so they can rush in and copy/paste their typical comments, just to see their post count go up. Now, if you do a bit of research among my few posts, you'll find that I've never "bugged" modders for updates, nor will ever do that. All I've done was ask ferram how's coming along, politely. There's a huge difference between "hey, how's work coming along today?" and "I didn't see your report in my desk at 8am like I've asked". 

Sure I'm hoping to have an update for FAR soon, but my only intent with that comment was to start a dialog with ferram, chit-chat about the mod, how's it coming along, the difficulties, the progress, the discoveries... really anything he'd be willing to talk about. I've modded for many years and I've always enjoyed seeing comments of people showing interest and always loved replying to them regarding the work itself, NOT the ETA.

It's exactly what I'am saying, harassing someone with "I want the update now" it's different from "how the things are going", and imho starting a chit-chat about the mod could only bring positive things to the mod itself.

Sorry again for the bad english guys

Edited by Boomer

21 hours ago, JeeF said:

This forum has had problems in the past with tons of people spamming the same innocent request, causing modders to feel pressured or harassed.  As a result, it has been decided that we will not post such questions.  If modders want to update us on their progress, they will do so.

21 hours ago, JeeF said:

I just told you why some people react sensible towards it :P

On 6/2/2018 at 3:52 PM, lordcirth said:

This forum has had problems in the past with tons of people spamming the same innocent request, causing modders to feel pressured or harassed.  As a result, it has been decided that we will not post such questions.  If modders want to update us on their progress, they will do so.

"We"?

On 6/2/2018 at 4:15 PM, Temeter said:

I just told you why some people react sensible towards it :P

I don't think those reactions were sensible.

Edited by Angstinator

A interwar-like fighter using SM-Stryker, AirplanePlus and BdA + aviator's arsenall parts:

JP6YMgY.png

Wing size tweaked with 'tweakscale', ailerons and flaps by procedural wings. 

I use FAR too, so it has working flaps, and since FAR makes everything more difficult, the weight was capped at 4 tons (which already is a lot!) by adding only a couple of .50 machine guns from aviator's arsennal, diminishing the wing's structural strenght (a FAR feature) and bringing along only enough fuel for some 25 minutes of flight. 

It stalls at 45m/s, but only 35m/s with full flaps. Top speed is around 120m/s. Crappy performance for KSP standards, right? But actually quite good considering the weight, engine power, what it was designed for, and of course the extreme realism provided by FAR, which REALLY FORCES YOUR HAND to design sensible, realistic airplanes. (EDIT: so maybe it's no wonder it ended up looking so much like a real life plane. Needless to say, all Centers were properly placed, which influenced how it ended up looking). 

YqkoWDX.png

This is all 1.3 KSP or course. Half those mods haven't got into 1.4 yet and maybe never will. I am only posting this to show what can be done with half a dozen mods, this one in particular! Kudos to the dev!

Edited by Daniel Prates

For showing craft created with FAR there is Official FAR Craft Repository thread. Link for it is broken due to forum changes, so it is easy to miss. It is for created in attempt to keep this thread "clean" as much as possible that important posts about FAR mods itself do not get buried quickly.

It is nice plane you have created here, but you are using moded parts that are not compatible with FAR. Whenever you use incopatible parts, you have arrows in SPH/VAB editor for COL mark. FAR disable those, but for some reason arrows showing up with such parts. You may not notice that something is wrong in flight at first, but you may expect strange issues, like NaN errors, FAR screen in flight not showing up properly values for AoA, Cl, Cd values, etc. It may be possible that on re-entry you don't get enough drag to slow down craft and similar issues.

17 hours ago, kcs123 said:

Whenever you use incopatible parts, you have arrows in SPH/VAB editor for COL mark. FAR disable those, but for some reason arrows showing up with such parts.

This is something I noticed with Explodium Breathing Engines when using Big-S series wing parts that use oxidizer instead of liquid fuel. They are otherwise identical to stock Big-S wing parts, but they don't show the FAR CoL marker. The craft I built does behave a little unexpectedly but otherwise flies.

I suppose I could look for FAR ("NEEDS[FerramAerospaceResearch]") and then copy the FAR wing properties for the stock Big-S wings to them. Would that work?

2 hours ago, Gordon Fecyk said:

I suppose I could look for FAR ("NEEDS[FerramAerospaceResearch]") and then copy the FAR wing properties for the stock Big-S wings to them. Would that work? 

Probably would if parts are similar in shape, should be no big difference. AirplanePlus parts are looking great, but there is no support for FAR, it is known issue if you look in AirplanePlus thread. Even when you use just cockpit or some other fuselage part from AirplanePlus mod you can get issue with FAR. Not to mention wing parts that can give strange results without proper config section.

On ‎6‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 8:56 AM, kcs123 said:

Probably would if parts are similar in shape, should be no big difference.

All parts in Explodium Breathing Engines are clones of stock parts with internal properties replaced, but use the exact mesh files as the stock parts. Those Big-S wing clones are supposed to be identical, except they carry oxidizer instead of liquid fuel. They should have identical wing properties.

I'll go over all parts to make sure they adopt the FAR aero properties of their stock counterparts.

[Update] The ExV Repository has FAR patches for intakes and wet wings. So far, so good. No release yet, but one can download a copy of the repository to try the changes out.

Edited by Gordon Fecyk
Edited parts to include FAR properties

On 6/12/2018 at 4:53 PM, HardZiin03 said:

Is this mod working on 1.4.1 ?

• Technically, not yet.
  • There are not real compatibility problems, just an overzealous safeguard. Look HERE to find a guide on how to update it, so it will work for 1.4.+ (I don't know of any guides for doing it with a program other than visual studio, anybody that knows of them, I would very much enjoy it if you share)
  • Mandatory poodleing about poodleing about updates, and counter-poodleing that technically the 1 week interval since the last poodleing about updates has almost past.

Following the solution found by @ss8913 and the guide written by @4x4cheesecake (for which I am very thankful), I have recompiled FAR for 1.4.x. However, because the shaders and icons do not fall under the GPL v3 license, you will have to download an old version from the official download page and drop /FerramAerospaceResearch/Shaders/farshaders.ksp into the empty Shaders folder you have downloaded and installed. You may also want to copy FerramAerospaceResearch/Textures, but these icons seem to be broken (possibly by me :blush:), so you should be fine with just leaving the placeholders.

Ferram Aerospace Research v0.15.9.2 "ferram4"

- Compatibility for Kerbal Space Program 1.4.3
- Updated ModularFlightIntegrator to 1.2.5
- Updated ModuleManager to 3.0.7

Download
https://github.com/asdfCYBER/Ferram-Aerospace-Research/releases/tag/v0.15.9.2_ferram4
you can get the shaders from the previous release or directly from https://github.com/ferram4/Ferram-Aerospace-Research/tree/master/GameData/FerramAerospaceResearch/Shaders

If you already had a previous version of FAR installed on KSP 1.4.3, all you have to do is overwrite FerramAerospaceResearch/Plugins with the newer version, and maybe MFI and MM if you don't have those versions yet.

Disclaimer
This is a fan-made update to Ferram Aerospace Research v0.15.9.1 "Liepmann" made by @ferram4, as is allowed by the GPL v3 license it is distributed under. This update is also licensed under GPL v3. Icons and textures that did not fall under this license have been removed or replaced by placeholders.
ferram4 is busy making sure that he hasn't missed any issues, and will most likely release the official build for KSP 1.4.3 very soon. Please check this thread regularly for any official updates, I'm sure you don't want to stick with my sketchy patch longer than necessary.

Edited by ExtremeTrader
added farshaders.ksp link

• 3 weeks later...
6 hours ago, TheAnonymous said:

Hi, is there a way to know what level your flaps are at without right-clicking on the flap? I try to only play in IVA for roleplaying. Also, is FAR toolbar compatible? Thanks very much!

There is some plugin in ASET/RPM for that, but I don't think it's built into any cockpit.

Greetings!

100% I'm not the first one to ask, but how can I leave stock aerodynamics and use the rest of the functions of this mod?
Settings changed, but this did not lead to the desired result.

(Thanks google translate)

2 hours ago, D06P0 said:

Greetings!

100% I'm not the first one to ask, but how can I leave stock aerodynamics and use the rest of the functions of this mod?

What other functions?  The whole point is to change aerodynamics.  The calculators and such?  They only make sense if you're using FAR aero.

4 hours ago, D06P0 said:

Greetings!

Don't bother with Google Translate, use DeepL instead. This thing takes any language (or so it says) but it's particularly good with German, French and Spanish.

For convenience I added this small patch to my install:

@PART[*]:HAS[!MODULE[FARWingAerodynamicModel],@MODULE[ModuleLiftingSurface]]:NEEDS[FerramAerospaceResearch]:FINAL
{
	+description ^= :^:<color=orange>Not patched for FAR yet!</color> :
}

@PART[*]:HAS[!MODULE[FARControllableSurface],@MODULE[ModuleControlSurface]]:NEEDS[FerramAerospaceResearch]:FINAL
{
	+description ^= :^:<color=orange>Not patched for FAR yet!</color> :
}

Result:
L3d9EyO.png

Edit:

A search inside MM cache gives this result:
88WPHuP.png

Edited by Gordon Dry

22 hours ago, Angstinator said:

Не волнуйтесь с Google Translate, используйте DeepL вместо этого. Эта вещь берет любой язык (или так говорит), но это особенно хорошо с немецким, французским и испанским.

Thank you! but I did not find a Russian or Ukrainian language maybe in alneyshey I will use this resource, all one THANKS!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.