ferram4

[1.3.1] Ferram Aerospace Research: v0.15.9.1 "Liepmann" 4/2/18

Recommended Posts

I'm having a problem with FAR with my rockets. I'm not sure what could be causing the Center of lift to be significantly outside the dimensions of the rockets, and causing severe control difficulty as a result. here is an imgur album of the issues i'm having https://imgur.com/a/ZJ3k0pY

and here is the output_log from KSP_x64_Data and KSP.log https://files.fm/u/8vqzpj7w#sign_up

if there are any other logs i need to provide, please let me know. Thanks in advance!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/3/2018 at 2:04 PM, soulsource said:

Phew, that was some time ago... Let's see if I remember correctly...
Somewhere in the last few pages of this thread (sorry, I don't have the link any more) there's a link to a forked github repo with a version of FAR for 1.4.1. I checked out that repo, made the changes to the compatibility checker file, recompiled it, and installed that version to my GameData folder. I think I also copied over the shaders package and icons from the last official release.

Alright, thanks! I'll give it a shot later tonight. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/3/2018 at 7:59 PM, Initial-Dee said:

I'm having a problem with FAR with my rockets. I'm not sure what could be causing the Center of lift to be significantly outside the dimensions of the rockets, and causing severe control difficulty as a result. here is an imgur album of the issues i'm having https://imgur.com/a/ZJ3k0pY

and here is the output_log from KSP_x64_Data and KSP.log https://files.fm/u/8vqzpj7w#sign_up

if there are any other logs i need to provide, please let me know. Thanks in advance!

It looks like you're building rockets in the spaceplane hanger, which will make things... Odd. 

The center of lift in the hanger is assuming that you vehicle is traveling towards the door.

Try the same thing in the VAB where it assumes your rocket will travel towards the ceiling.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/3/2018 at 2:04 PM, soulsource said:

Phew, that was some time ago... Let's see if I remember correctly...
Somewhere in the last few pages of this thread (sorry, I don't have the link any more) there's a link to a forked github repo with a version of FAR for 1.4.1. I checked out that repo, made the changes to the compatibility checker file, recompiled it, and installed that version to my GameData folder. I think I also copied over the shaders package and icons from the last official release.

What exactly is the compatibility checker file? 

 

Sorry im a noob at this. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, iXeon said:

What exactly is the compatibility checker file? 

 

Sorry im a noob at this. 

It's a file in the FAR source code. Details are somewhere in the last few pages of this thread.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/30/2018 at 11:52 PM, SuicidalInsanity said:

There's also DebugStuff which is an in-game app that shows tree info.

Indeed the transform to exclude from FAR is 'foreceIndicator'...DebugStuff really is a useful tool!...thanks again for bringing it to my attention!

Spoiler

BEsfNXz.png

 

Edited by AloE
FAR transform exclusion post link

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sorry to interrupt, how do I make certain parts' (i.e. Leading edge slat from Airplane Plus) to have FAR's flap control? Currently even few stock parts like Elevon 0 & 2B also lack flap button in SPH.

For what I found after 3 hours of googling, seems like I need to write down something like this - but that would create new parts with values like 'b_2', 'MAC' which I don't know of. I only want to use FAR's ability to control deflect if it's possible.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/28/2017 at 12:50 PM, Citizen247 said:

I'm trying to add FAR configs to some of the control surfaces in Airplane Plus

If you worked on additional parts & are willing to share the FAR configs you created that would be both fun & helpful for me to see if I and some others I see posting recently can learn how to do this as well...thanks!

On 12/28/2017 at 4:24 PM, Citizen247 said:

Fitting and Swept wing approximation don't show. Everything else seems too. 

unfortunately indeed the dropbox links are still broken...anyone happen to have a screenshot or a save of the page from when these links worked (or better than me at finding old dropbox content)?

[Fitting](https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/42665548/KSP/Mods/Info/FAR%20Values/Fitting.jpg)

[Swept Wing approximation](https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/42665548/KSP/Mods/Info/FAR%20Values/Approximation.jpg)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/16/2018 at 2:46 PM, jupiterbjy said:

with values like 'b_2', 'MAC' which I don't know of. I only want to use FAR's ability to control deflect if it's possible.

@dkavolis  might be able to offer insight as to your 'only control deflect 'question.  Also, in case your search did not find it, there is a bit more clarification of these values and how to figure them out in the Final Results at the end of the tutorial at github FAR wiki on Deriving FAR Values:

Spoiler

 

Final Results

You now have all the measurements you need to derive values for the properties of the aerofoil required by FAR, using the equations diagram at the top of the tutorial.

The FAR ReadMe includes information about the FAR modules that you need to fill out with this data, but for examples sake here is the final Module Manager 2.x.x configuration for the swept wing model used in this tutorial:


@PART[planeWingSweptN]:NEEDS[FerramAerospacResearch|NEAR]
{
  // zero out all stock values, remove stock module
  @module = Part
  @maximum_drag = 0
  @minimum_drag = 0
  @angularDrag = 0
  @dragCoeff = 0
  @deflectionLiftCoeff = 0
  @ctrlSurfaceRange = 0
  @ctrlSurfaceArea = 0
  
  // add custom FAR values
  MODULE
  {
    name = FARControllableSurface // or FARWingAerodynamicModel for non-controllable wings
    MAC = 2.32  // Tip = 1.23m | Root = 3.4m
    MidChordSweep = 16.67 // Leading sweep 21.8* | Trailing sweep 11.54*
    b_2 = 11.19 // Root to tip in meters
    TaperRatio = 0.36 // Ratio of tip chord to root chord
    nonSideAttach = 0  // 0 for canard-like / normal wing pieces, 1 for ctrlsurfaces attached to the back of other wing parts
    maxdeflect = 15  // Default maximum deflection value; only used by FARControlableSurface
    ctrlSurfFrac = 0.09 // wing surface area = 43.56 | control surface area = 3.796
  }
}

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There seem to be quite a few enhancements on later versions. But I am playing on RP-1 ksp 1.3.1 and it would be great if there wa a backport if you think the new improvements worth it.... and if it's easy to do...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Flightologist said:

Sorry, I am quite confused. Will this work on 1.5.1? If not, what is the latest version?

Nope, it will not work, unless you recompile source code for yourself and change necessary files. Or until ferram publish official supported FAR release.

However, there is forked version with removed ARR licenced files that work:

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/25/2019 at 10:24 AM, kcs123 said:

Nope, it will not work, unless you recompile source code for yourself and change necessary files. Or until ferram publish official supported FAR release.

However, there is forked version with removed ARR licenced files that work:

 

Thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a question about aerodynamic drag. Which variables should I observe at lift off to determine whether TWR is too high and thus drag losses are higher than gravitational losses? Using MJ here aswell.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, New Horizons said:

I have a question about aerodynamic drag. Which variables should I observe at lift off to determine whether TWR is too high and thus drag losses are higher than gravitational losses? Using MJ here aswell.

You might pay attention to your critical mach number; the lower that is, the draggier your craft tends to be. Other than that, I don't know the specific in-mod parameters to watch for, just guidelines. As a rule, with FAR you want rockets around 1.2-1.3 at liftoff. Spaceplanes are generally okay in the 0.5-0.7 range. I myself go with 17 tonnes per RAPIER engine or 30 tonnes per Whiplash at takeoff; others use different numbers. Don't know a good one for Panther engines.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There`s an incompatibility issue with Nertea`s Near Future Solar mod specifically the part OKEB 75 solar array. When this part is used it throws the voxels in FAR for a loop as can be seen in this post:

Nertea guessed the problem may lie on FAR`s side. 

Are there any insights on this board that may help resolve the issue? (PS sorry for the links but it was easier than reproducing the effect myself) Thanks, 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, PeakReasonance said:

There`s an incompatibility issue with Nertea`s Near Future Solar mod specifically the part OKEB 75 solar array. When this part is used it throws the voxels in FAR for a loop as can be seen in this post:

Nertea guessed the problem may lie on FAR`s side. 

Are there any insights on this board that may help resolve the issue? (PS sorry for the links but it was easier than reproducing the effect myself) Thanks, 

That's because that part has an invisible plane mesh which gets voxelized. If you're using my fork, add

@PART[<part name>]:AFTER[FerramAerospaceResearch]
{
	@MODULE[GeometryPartModule]
	{
		%forceUseMeshes = True  // just in case
		%ignoreIfNoRenderer = true  // skips voxelizing invisible meshes
	}
}

Currently voxelization works as in the original FAR with a few extra options, haven't made skipping invisible meshes default yet.

Edited by dkavolis

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sorry,my English is poor.I would like to ask, why can't the missiles in the MK2 bay be launched after the FAR is installed ? I installed a rotating rack in the MK2 bay and a missile on the rack. It can be launched normally before the FAR is installed. After installing FAR, long press the left mouse button missile does not respond, can only right click on the missile launch option to launch,  what is going on?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Any ETA for an update? Played KSP with FAR some years ago and I cant see myself playing without it, im sad to see FAR hasnt been updated for a long time :(

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
14 hours ago, Skeltcher said:

Any ETA for an update? Played KSP with FAR some years ago and I cant see myself playing without it, im sad to see FAR hasnt been updated for a long time :(

https://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/179445-14-17-ferram-aerospace-research-continued-v015111-mach-230619/

 

Edited by KerbMav

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.