Fastest Low Altitude Vessel

Low Altitude Speed Challenge

This challenge is pretty simple. Your goal is to attain the fastest possible speed at the low altitude

Body: Kerbin

Max Height: 1000 meters

Things to note: There will be scoreboards for each part size 0.625, 1.25, 1.875, 2.5, 3.75, 5. The largest part on your vessel determines your class. Your craft need not fully survive the ordeal. If you choose to execute a dive some form of evidence will need to be provided that you did not hit a max speed above 1000 meters.

Rules: Don't cheat, part clipping is discouraged but allowed for aesthetics and radiators. Part mods are not allowed. Game difficulty should have normal difficulty or higher level heating. These rules are subject to change as I may have missed something

Scoreboard

1. Pds314 1680 m/s

1. UndefeatedOrca 1755 m/s 

1. Klapaucius 1760.2

1.  UndefeatedOrca 1964 m/s

My two submissions in the spoiler below

Spoiler

My 1.25 meter craft uses a launcher design and then a small unmanned drone to actually execute the end accelerationPw5OKwE.png

It achieved a speed of 1755 m/s 

dSyoLNm.png

My 3.75 meter design is a much similar design, it uses 1 mammoth and 12 vectors to accelerate until it is destroyed by heating

nMAGhRT.png 

This is the max speed it reached

CEB9pnB.png

Some of the important things to note about this design are that it uses an absurd amount of radiators and uses 2 fairing around it to insulate the internal components from heat forces. The vectors that I use are too close to each other and some are destroyed while pitching up and down. My 1.25 m design should be fairly self explanatory; inside the fairing are 2 mk 0 liquid fuel tanks, an okto 2, and 2 small radiators.

Good Luck and have fun!

Edited by UndefeatedOrca
rules clarification

I remember some challenge very similar to this where I made a 2400 m/s missile. Not sure if I can find the craft to go for another run though.

Is there  a 5 meter category? Since Making History does add 5m parts, albeit no 5-meter propulsion systems.

Also what is your opinion on unrealistic aero optimizations, diving, and the requirement to actually, you know, survive the ordeal?

Edited by Pds314

9 hours ago, Pds314 said:

I remember some challenge very similar to this where I made a 2400 m/s missile. Not sure if I can find the craft to go for another run though.

Is there  a 5 meter category? Since Making History does add 5m parts, albeit no 5-meter propulsion systems.

Also what is your opinion on unrealistic aero optimizations, diving, and the requirement to actually, you know, survive the ordeal?

I have added a 5 meter category and clarified some rules, you do not need to survive the ordeal. I would need to see what you mean by unrealistic aero optimization but assume that its probably fine.

I think I can do better, but here is my entry for the large category.  It takes off from the runway, which I think it is a bonus (though it veered to the left and lost one of the rear gear).

wxpDNSm.png

p84Z6n5.png

YYJwaQ4.png

One second after the above screenshot was taken the nose burned off:

uuY0MMk.png

This challenge comes around every few years in different forms. The eventual result is that someone builds what is basically a fairing missile and gets some insane speed. This is mine from the last time:

aloLKn2.png

Now, this was with infinite fuel and heating turned off. We were searching for the fastest possible speed without constraints. 

I didn't see it specified in the rules if this challenge allowed part mods or not. I'm assuming not.

I don't remember the last time I tried this without heating turned off and infinite fuel. I think I'll give it a shot!

Ok. Optimized run, trying to keep the rocket phase at ~900 meters to increase fuel economy and decrease drag, then dive after the wings break to get some gravitational help.

New 0.625m record is

1641 m/s.

r2rlfkm.png
iJtvxwk.png
mhYo8on.png
vHDaYk2.png
KBncXwx.png
MNaztiT.png
VaCUh54.png

Edited by Pds314

• 3 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.