[1.7, 1.8, 1.9] Kerbalized SpaceX BETA

linuxgurugamer

To Linuxgurugmer...  First off, thanks so much for all the work you put into KSP.  Love the game but absolutely hate all the mod issues at every KSP version change though.  Seems like every time all the mods are working, or mostly working, a major version change comes along and it's all FUBAR again!

Really this post is about the SpaceX ITS ship though.  I've been fooling around with the build a couple of days now and for the most part managed to attach thinks to make it able to not just hold kerbals but to allow them to do an EVA as well.  I also added a covered CoT Mr. to allow for docking.  EDIT BUT, the largest landing legs designed for the ITS Ship in this mod are too short to have both proper mounting in the three leg pylons, because the ends of the flaps extend well past were the extended landing legs end.   (Well "stupid" applies here, or maybe more like BLIND...  I looked for built legs in the VAB to see what they looked like and while landing several times and didn't see them, and now, of course after posting on this topic, I finally saw they were built-in.  Sheesh!).

Oh yeah, the ITS doesn't have any kind of payload bay, maybe an equipment/payload package is supposed to be sent to Mars first and it wasn't meant for any payload but I thought I'd bring the topic up anyway.

I have used one of the Dragon capsules to make a 2nd stage ascent or descent lander CoT Sr docked to a 1st stage with three radially attached spikes for descent/ascent also and a storage bay with a small rover (I think stock or mostly stock) and two symmetrically attached uISRU (Wild Blue Industries)/drill/ore-tank/radiator units to allow for self-contained refueling. Both stages can be piloted remotely and used independently with the 1st stage having top and bottom CoT Sr ports and the 2nd stage having a bottom CoT Sr and top NASA docking port.  It's heavy when fueled up but it makes a decent multi-mission reuseable lander with a rover and how it gets used depends on DV needed and if an atmosphere is present.  In case of emergency the Dragon is capable of being used as a typical heat-shielded reentry vehicle.  The lander can be used as a complete CSM/lander, or as I tend to do, mount it like in the Apollo program below a separate CSM.  I setup the final payload stage to be used as something of a refueling ship that I keep redocking the CMS and/or lander too and, if done carefully, it can be used for interplanetary/moon transfers and refueled from a separate refueler when near empty.    

Edited by rnyboy

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

@linuxgurugamer, is there a plan to get this on CKAN soon?  I tend to stick with CKAN and I've narrowed a memory violation during loading to the old version of this mod on ckan and am hoping this one will do the trick.  Basically, on linux, I get an mmap (PROT_NONE) mem violation during loading of another mod but I traced the problem to this mod (older ver on ckan) that depends on that mod. I PM'd you and this message corrects some assumptions I was about to go with there until I dug deeper.  I think I will install this and see what it does

Edited by darthgently

@linuxgurugamer, the BETA version from here gives me the same mmap (PROT_NONE) protected memory hard crash during mod load as the CKAN version of Kerbalized SpaceX.  I'm running 1.10.1 on debian.  There are no logs to present as it crashes hard with the the 'mmap (PROT_NONE)' as the only output on the command line.  KSP.log gets randomly truncated depending on the flush status, but never any info leading into the crash.  I noticed that the Parts subfolder in the mod has some filenames that look unintentional, like someone was in the middle of working on the code and left some things lying around.  I don't know how sensitive the load process is to filenames like 'foobar - Copy (1).cfg' and such.  And if there were something causing crashes on linux but not on windows filename format would be a shiny candidate.  idk.  I figured out how to use environment variables to get the KSP mono runtime to log some stuff to syslog so I'll be going down that path sometime today or this eve and will happily share the results.  But it is black and white at this point that when I include this mod, from CKAN or BETA from here, I get the memory violation nearly every time.  Not sure why it doesn't happen every time.  A race condition of some variety maybe

Edited by darthgently

When I delete all the part configs from the mod but the one I need to load my game, the game loads fine.  So my little problem is solved.  But in the interest of solving the more general issue I've written a script to delete one cfg at a time from the Parts folder and loop until the game loads.  So I should be able to tell you which part is causing the problem.  None of the odd filenames was the problem.

Deleting ModuleManager.ConfigCache cured the entire situation for both the CKAN an BETA versions.  Sure everyone knew about deleting that.  Everyone but me.  But now I am an Informed Individual.  So the take home for linuxgurugamer is that the next time someone comes on here raving that they are getting protected memory violations on linux he can 3 word them: try deleting ModuleManager.ConfigCache

Edited by darthgently

• 3 weeks later...
5 hours ago, Delta dart said:

Is anybody else's models super low rez?? I see in the screenshots that it is high rez but on my screen the models are so pixely that I can't make out the word "Spacex" on the size of the dragon spacecraft. vcfrFwp.png

Go into the main menu options and check what resolution you're playing at.

First off, wonderful to have this in KSP!

I'm getting a vehicle error on all ships about "DeployableAeroSurfaces". I might have not installed an "optional" requirement that adds it ?

I found a copy here from DerpyFirework. Just want to make sure this is all I needed to do, or if I'm missing a vital step in the installation.

• 2 months later...

Any chance this gets moved out of Beta and onto CKAN, or else a release beta build in Github?  The only version CKAN lists is 1.26 which is due to it marked as compatible with "any" - all later versions are compat with 1.3 series (ver 1.31 I think) and no further.

Edited by Murdabenne

7 hours ago, Murdabenne said:

Any chance this gets moved out of Beta and onto CKAN, or else a release beta build in Github?  The only version CKAN lists is 1.26 which is due to it marked as compatible with "any" - all later versions are compat with 1.3 series (ver 1.31 I think) and no further.

On my list of things to do, but I still need to rebalance the parts

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
Just now, linuxgurugamer said:

Yup, probably because I never did a release on this

I don't know about others, but I use CKAN and its "homepage" link as my browser to get to the forums all the time.  Not worth doing a release over, but if there is a simple way to update just that info it might save you from having to respond to posts like mine, ha ha.  I don't know if there is a way to do that and it isn't a big deal to me to follow the dereference in the old forum to here

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

Got a recovery contact for a Kerbalized Dragon Trunk.

Klaw won't grab it on centerline.  Passes right through bulkhead.  In fact, my entire tug floated through the solid appearing bulkhead and out the open end of the trunk.  I used cheat screen to complete the contract and terminated the trunk from the tracking center.   Model is not very complete collision wise apparently.

Not a bug report.  Merely venting

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.