I put all my orbits in one range, causing my space station to orbit, killing 10 kerbals. How did you screw up without any thought of the future?

LandBoatBuick

I already told this story but eitherway....

It was my first minmus mission. I made a rocket with the mk-3 pod at the top with a hitchjakers cabin at the bottom that would later be separated before re-entry

Well 2017 dumb me decided to break my own design and add a 4th kerbal onboard (Val). Now this wouldn't be a bad idea if it wasn't for the fact that THERE WERE 4 KERBALS meaning that one was going to need to be at hitchjakers cabin the thing is that it would be jettisoned on re-entry.

So clearly, I did the smart thing upon re-entry.Swallowing my mistake and rolling a random number to see who was the unlucky soul to be sacrificed(I realized this on re-entry so no I couldn't leave him EVA in orbit)

Except that this was 2017 me, the one that still thought Kerbals had feelings so I didn't do that. 

Instead I didn't jettison the cabin and left it all for re-entry, the speed wasn't going fast enought to blow up on re-entry so what could go wrong ? \_(``-)_/ (I suck at ascii art)

Well the vessel decided to go head first making it hit the water at mach 2 killing everyone on board.

I left a kerbal behind on accident in my space station.

I was deorbiting my old space station which had parts bent in crazy directions due to an autostrut glitch. I transferred three of the kerbals into the return vehicle and put the station suborbital. Once the pod landed, I switched back to the station to watch it deorbit, and realized I had left a kerbal behind!

The station only suffered minor damage from re-entry heating and I jumped out and saved the kerbal with the EVA parachute.

On 4/20/2020 at 10:59 AM, KerbolExplorer said:

Except that this was 2017 me, the one that still thought Kerbals had feelings so I didn't do that.

*offended noises*
what you mean they DONT?

so... I was messing around with the MH parts once. I as a non-Koviet person who remembered that the reentry modules came with ablator decided to make a Mun mission with the Pea module. I put Bill (idk why I didn’t fill it up) in and he was off. I only meant it to orbit Mun, so he did that, got some pics for Instagram... I guess... and I got him back into Kerbin trajectory without a hitch.but... it was a suborbital “free return” trajectory. It was suborbital from the Mun and... it was too much for the 20 ablator.

RIP.

On 4/20/2020 at 10:59 AM, KerbolExplorer said:

\_(``-)_/

that’s actually pretty cute. It’s a shrug and a “whatever, let’s do it” emoticon

This thread takes me back to when I was even more of a KSP novice than I am now.

I guess I'm lucky I began playing in 2019, when kerbonauts already had parachutes. What you can observe here is Jeb, during his return from the Dunpollo mission, aboard a craft with insufficient TWR and no parachutes. Yes, I forgot I brought along one more kerbal than what my dedicated reentry vehicle was designed for. Rather than fly the whole mission again, and given I'd had plenty of dV left to brake a lot, Jeb rode the transfer stage all the way to subsonic speed and then bailed out.

Note - if you're wondering why I put landing gear on a transfer stage, the answer is Ike landing.

screenshot298.png

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.