There are 2 parts to this challenge. Part 1 is to build a space hotel in Kerbin orbit, and part 2 is to build something that transfers tourists to and from your space hotel.

PART 1- SPACE HOTEL

Requirements: 

Must have room for at least 8 tourists, and must have 1 pilot, engineer or scientist per 8 tourists (so a hotel with 40 tourists must have 5 other kerbals).

Must have at least 4 docking ports for transport ships.

Must have antenna and be able to store at least 10k units of electricity (and be able to produce electricity).

Must be in Kerbin orbit between 150km and 450km.

Rules: No debug cheats, Hyper Edit cheats, or Vessel Mover cheats. No autopilot mods or mods that alter physics. Mods that add information on the screen are ok (this part of MechJeb is allowed, not the autopilots). Part mods are only allowed for the craft istelf, not the rockets that launch it. It can be one module or multiple modules.

For entry to count: Show picture of it on the launchpad, and it in orbit.

PART 2- TRANSPORT SHIP

Requirements:

Must have room for at least 1/3 of the capacity of the hotel (if the hotel holds 30, the ship must hold 10+) and room for 4 other kerbals.

Must be able to dock with the hotel (RCS recommended, but not required).

Must be able to safely re-enter and land without any explosions.

Must have antenna and be able to store at least 2k units of electric charge (and be able to produce electricity).

- Can be an SSTO, but does not have to be an SSTO.

Rules: No debug cheats, Hyper Edit cheats, or Vessel Mover cheats. No autopilot mods, part mods or mods that alter physics. Mods that add information on the screen are ok (this part of MechJeb is allowed, not the autopilots). 

For entry to count: Show picture of it on the launchpad or runway, in space, and docked to the hotel.

WINNERS

@QF9E with a large Ring design and capacity for 384 tourists and 402 kerbals all together.

@Scarecrow building a large spire-like hotel holding 36 tourists and escape pods for all of them, as well as a 12 capacity transport shuttle.

@ralanboyle with a sleek design holding a maximum 48 tourists, excursion ships, escape pods and a reusable ferry holding 22.

@Mars-Bound Hokie constructing the 53 kerbal capacity "Bedsheetz", along with the P-5 Olympian carrying a whole lot of air-breaks.

@Klapaucius Building a 90+ capacity hotel with an observation deck and an outdoor bar and band, completed with a transport ship holding 32.

@purpleivan Constructing a large propeller like hotel and a transport ship that can fly in or out of atmosphere.

@Dirkidirk With a large beautiful golden baguette, holding 19 kerbals.

Edited by DRAG0Nmon

14 minutes ago, RoninFrog said:

If the Space Hotel is an SSTO itself, can the transport be a rover that docks to the hotel on the surface of Kerbin?

No, the hotel has to be a separate craft in orbit that the ssto docks to.

The hotel can also be an ssto, but it can't return to the surface.

Edited by DRAG0Nmon

2 hours ago, ralanboyle said:

Are there any superlatives for the challenge? I.E. Most Hotel Rooms, Cheapest Hotel Room, Etc.

I will be adapting my EVE Station for this challenge.

Those cupolas should have a great view when that thing takes off!

21 hours ago, ralanboyle said:

Are there any superlatives for the challenge

Inna-gadda-da-vida!!

What a neuronal blast-from-the-past.  The number of times I listened to that.  (I had to look in your Youtube credits to identify it.  Iron Butterfly.)  Whoaaaa...

On 4/24/2020 at 10:28 AM, ralanboyle said:

Are there any superlatives for the challenge? I.E. Most Hotel Rooms, Cheapest Hotel Room, Etc.

Not really. You can make it as big as you want, but if you can’t put a 500 part station in orbit, don’t worry. Make it as big as you want!

Great idea for a challenge! I was going to do something like this with the ring station I built for the Shuttle Challenge:

9PbtMM7.png

However, it is currently in a 350 km orbit around Kerbin, which is a bit higher than the maximum you stipulate. Would you be willing to alter your mission criteria, or give me a waiver? Documentation of the build process can be found here: https://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/164104-shuttle-challenge-v5-the-sts-thread-stock-and-mod-friendly-major-challenge-announcement-3032020/&do=findComment&comment=3721238

Edited by QF9E

58 minutes ago, QF9E said:

Great idea for a challenge! I was going to do something like this with the ring station I built for the Shuttle Challenge:

9PbtMM7.png

However, it is currently in a 350 km orbit around Kerbin, which is a bit higher than the maximum you stipulate. Would you be willing to alter your mission criteria, or give me a waiver? Documentation of the build process can be found here: https://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/164104-shuttle-challenge-v5-the-sts-thread-stock-and-mod-friendly-major-challenge-announcement-3032020/&do=findComment&comment=3721238

That looks awesome! I'll make the orbit altitude rules more lenient. How many kerbals can it hold, I count 402

My entry for part 1.  I was going to do a multiple launch orbital structure, but decided to keep it simple.

Has room for 36 tourists, each room is jettisonable and has independent de-orbiting boosters and parachutes in the event that the hotel has to be evacuated in an emergency.

Crew quarters will accommodate 8 Kerbals, and there is also a lab/workshop/kitchen fitted for those odd job tasks.

Battery capacity is 12,000 units, and there are 5 docking ports available.

The communications array incorporates a good deal of backup capacity to allow our guests to stay in touch with their family/minions back on the surface.

Current orbit is 260km.

Launchpad

OH01.jpg

Jettison boosters

OH02.jpg

Discarding the cargo fairing

OH03.jpg

Orbit established, antennas and solar panels deployed, docking ports/airlocks extended and ready to receive visitors.

OH04.jpg

Are we allowed to clip passenger bays together? Not by a whole ton, just enough to smooth edges out, etc.

and will there be a badge incorporated into this challenge? Also, I use a play station, how would you like me to prove that I did the challenge?

@Scarecrow Nice job! I am also now convinced that the inflatable airlock is just a large paper bag,

@Lewie Try to keep clipping to a minimum, only do it if you feel it necessary. I’m not that good of an artist, so anyone is free to make a badge. Also, I’m not entirely sure how screenshots work on console, but this reddit page might help

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.reddit.com/r/ConsoleKSP/comments/b2j7qr/ps4_screenshot/

2 hours ago, Lewie said:

ah crud, reddit is not working. would it be ok if I just took pictures with my phone and sent them to you via email?

If you have a gmail, you can save them to drive and then have them on the computer. Otherwise, you can email them.

22 hours ago, DRAG0Nmon said:
23 hours ago, Dirkidirk said:

do I have to put it in low kerbin orbit?

Sorry, but yes you do.

Aw, man. I was going to show off my Jool Ring.

bX8f6rB.png

• Crew capacity: 91
    • Including 4 science labs (with scientific instruments)
  • ISRU capabilities
  • Six docking ports
  • ~400G relays
  • Kerbnet action group
    • Specifically, the probe core.
  • Has enough delta-V to make it to any of the five moons

Q0hG3ih.png

• A docking-capable variant of the Poseidon SSTO connected with the ring station over Laythe.

Spoiler
On 4/23/2020 at 12:43 PM, DRAG0Nmon said:

No autopilot mods or mods that alter physics. Mods that add information on the screen are ok (this part of MechJeb is allowed, not the autopilots).

As of the latest update, MJ is automatically embedded on all control modules if you have the mod installed. However, it won't show up on a mod scan if you post the craft file on KerbalX (still labelled pure stock).

Though this may not qualify as an entry, I thought I might want to show off what I can do.

Okay,

Here is my entry:

While she technically has a crew capacity of 111 I think a little imagination is in order for this challenge---

Welcome to the Orbital Hotel! 

We have 12 Luxury Suites to rent. Each can accommodate up to 4 people but are most comfortable for 2. Each suite has a beautiful, uninterrupted view! Total tourist capacity is 48. 

We also have a common area for eating and greeting. 

Take one of our 6 Excursion Ships to anywhere within 2500dv. Don't worry, if needed, they can land on Kerbin too. 

In the event of an emergency, you will use one of the 6 escape pods, each can seat 6 people. 

Jeb owns the hotel. He flies from the Bridge and each crew member is an independent contractor. They live and work in their own ship. Total crew capacity is 13.  (Not including the ferry.)

The ferry is operated by Val, and is fully reusable. It carries 22 people round trip to/from KSC. She is particularly proud of its propulsive landing ability!

Edited by ralanboyle
Edit

Here is mine. I have video, but it will be a while before I get that assembled. This were a lot of flights (and a lot of fails--lots of reverting to launch).  The bit with the cupolas was a nightmare. The first time I tried to put it in orbit, it went so far of course that the orbit is practically retrograde, so that one is now a smaller B&B.  I also launched an early version of the root part and realized I had forgotten a few things. I had totally overpowered the first launch vehicle, so I put that one in orbit around Minmus.

Now here we are.  My one regret is while I strutted up the second try on the cupola module, I thought I had attached all the struts to parts that would decouple. Alas, I messed that up, so while it was supposed to rotate, it does not. If anyone knows how to delete a strut after the fact I'd be most appreciative.

It's not pretty, but it is full of life. Included is an outdoor bar and a bandstand. These are automated to open with KAL controllers. Since there is no sound in space, the live jazz show is all electric (drums, keys, upright bass), mixed and sent directly into the helmet speakers of the bar patrons. 

There is ample parking for the well off, a docking tug and a ludicrous amount of communications paraphernalia, because making it an "active science and communications station" is a tax write-off.

Passengers arrive in the highly expensive 32 passenger rocket.  It can get some bonus fuel at the station and lands back on Kerbin (mostly) intact with a crazy number of parachutes.

kkNLCVb.png

BKSpDRg.png

CY3ryte.png

Spoiler

1st part on the launchpad

nAk4dJL.png

Part 2

bGNjwlX.png

Part 3

zJAmAhU.png

Part 4 (comm and science section)

doI6Zll.png

Putting it together

Yx1HG4S.png

PnUXguU.png

Using the tug to maneuver the parking ports

mfBZyQh.png

bYWdqCd.png

My3CAen.png

eP4voPW.png

Flying down (or up) to the bar from the observation tower

XGZrMqx.png

The tug parked. The transport is in the background

kQ8g5x7.png

fWaEbDH.png

Edited by Klapaucius

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.