Actual Sites: Airports - 600 Real Runways for RSS - (1.0.1) Runway ground level hotfix!

Nightside

8 hours ago, Wetpig said:

are there any plans to add accompanying contracts for the airports, passenger transport for example?

Not at the moment, although I love the idea. I haven’t ever messed around with contracts.

I’d certainly be interested in collaborating with someone though.

• 5 weeks later...

Heya, I am not sure what data set you used, but I found one here https://hub.arcgis.com/datasets/e90996158f0a464189098881379597a6_0 

It lists all medium and large airports, including some basic runway information. You get some of runway numbers (not all of them, but enough to get an approximate layout.). And some of the data is outdated. But it would get you closer to the ballpark.

The data set also lists airport codes with the IATA and ICAO codes, so if using the 4 letter ICAO is better than the three letter IATA you can do that.

A few discreps I did find though:

I pulled up KSFO (San Fran) got data showing two runways  (01L and 28R), So because we have a L and R, we know we have parallel runways. Obviously not all parallel runways are created equal, (some can be way shorter then the other).  So we have runways 01/19 Left and Right, and runways 10/28 Left and right. The headings are also shown, in this case, 28 degrees for 01L and 28 degrees for 208 degrees for 19R. So you can either just use one runway in each direction, or have 2 sets of parallel runways

But like I said, not all the runways are shown, and some are shown twice! I looked up another airport I am familiar with, PADQ (Kodiak AK), which has three runways. However the database shows two? Nope, it shows runway 07 and runway 25...which is the same runway technically (reciprocal headings). Also, you would be insane to try to land on runway 7, there is a mountain right before it. But Runway 25 is the primary runway used for Alaska airlines, so it's the probably why it's listed. Also I said the data was a little dated?  Runway 7/25 is actually  8/26 now.  They changed the runway number in the last few years back due to magnetic drift.

Hope you can do something with this.

The website that provided the GIS has a even more data sets to check out, like one called "runways" I opened it in google sheets...its huge, it lists 41,586 runways of all sizes, but not all the information is there for all runways because some just don't get used that often. I also open the Airports csv, but it does not  list runways, I think the ArcGIS data set is the best bet though, because it combines the Airport data with the Runway data already. But heres the link to the rest of it. https://ourairports.com/data/ 

Edited by jedensuscg

• 1 year later...
  • 5 months later...

Back after a long break to confirm that this does still work in 1.12.3. The SpaceDock entry has been updated to reflect this.

I've been playing with a data set that does include real runways and I have plans to update to mod to support airports with multiple runways at their Actual(TM) orientation and Length (where this data is available). 

On 11/29/2021 at 4:08 PM, EndAllFilms said:

Can you make it compatible with KSRSS?

Very late reply - If the planet is called "Earth" (and not something like "KSR_Earth" or whatever, then it should work fine.

• 11 months later...
9 hours ago, Clayel said:

I'm a bit confused on how to launch from these airports? Haven't seen any options to do so ingame.

You should be able to select from the Kerbal Konstructs menu in the hangar, but you may need to change the KK settings to open all airports. 
otherwise you’ll have to fly within range of the airport to open it.

So I'll admit that I hadn't actually loaded up this mod for a while (years?) until today. I'm happy that people are still finding and playing with it.

On 5/27/2023 at 11:34 AM, Clayel said:

I'm a bit confused on how to launch from these airports? Haven't seen any options to do so ingame.

I'll add some better instructions for activating and launching from these to the OP and maybe even  the readme.txt.

5 hours ago, Clayel said:

Strange, since sending that message all of the airports have now disappeared from the map view. I even enabled those KK settings and they still aren't here.

I'm getting the same issue on my basic RS install too (Not even running RO). The symbols for the airports actually do show up for a split second when you switch to map view in flight, and you can find them by moving your mouse around the globe, so they are there, just hidden somehow. I'm guessing its related to another mod interaction, but I'm not running EVE or Scatterer or any of the usual culprits for visual shenanigans. I'm just a config monkey and don't really understand how the game actually works, I don't have any special insight into the issue. I'll see if I can isolate the issue though.

For now, if you know about where you where you need to go, you can find and click on bases to select and create waypoints.  Runways should still appear in flight. 

Yea, I've seen a couple people using it in the RP-1 server, so I wanted to try it out for planes.

6 minutes ago, Nightside said:

For now, if you know about where you where you need to go, you can find and click on bases to select and create waypoints.  Runways should still appear in flight. 

By clicking on bases, do you mean in the map view? Also, do you know of any way to view the bases (like make waypoints or something) through kerbal konstructs possibly?

21 minutes ago, Clayel said:

Yea, I've seen a couple people using it in the RP-1 server, so I wanted to try it out for planes.

By clicking on bases, do you mean in the map view? Also, do you know of any way to view the bases (like make waypoints or something) through kerbal konstructs possibly?

I was able to get the bases (runways) to appear in the map (in flight mode). I did adjust the visibility range setting in Kerbal Konstructs as well as some graphics setting so I'm not sure what fixed it. 

When you select the runway, or other symbol in the map a little KK window should pop up with a button to create a waypoint, and  basic info about the site. 

On 5/28/2023 at 7:45 PM, Nightside said:

I was able to get the bases (runways) to appear in the map (in flight mode). I did adjust the visibility range setting in Kerbal Konstructs as well as some graphics setting so I'm not sure what fixed it. 

When you select the runway, or other symbol in the map a little KK window should pop up with a button to create a waypoint, and  basic info about the site. 

Yea I wasn't able to see the runways, even when I adjusted the visibility settings. I'm opening up a new RP-1 save, so we'll see how it is in the new save.

image.png

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.