Scatterer sunflares disappearing when using certain parts

I have had an issue where simply launching a vessel including a part (specifically stock Mk2 lander can, and NF Spacecraft Mk4-1 command pod) caused sunflares (from scatterer sunflares) to disappear. I have pretty good idea what might have caused this, but I am not sure HOW exactly. I have checked and it is definetly caused by those parts. One thing that those 2 parts have in common is the fact, that the part switch menu allows switching between different models of the part (i.e. rover and lander versions of the Mk2 lander can). I have now checked and it is, in fact, caused by the switching module of the part (in the Mk4-1 pod's case at least, verified by removing the module and the sunflares working properly after that). I am now wondering what has the switching part to do with sunflare disappearance... any suggestions welcome.

PS: How do you duplicate parts to compensate for this switching problem, will copying the .cfg file and replacing the referenced model for it work just fine or do I have to do something more complicated?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.