cave systems on rocky planets

BIB♠

Hi, I was driving on Duna when I got this idea. And if we could explore cave systems on certains rocky planets and use robotics parts in order to collect stalagmites and other, get diamonds and precious materials with a robotic arm, ...

45 minutes ago, BIB♠ said:

Hi, I was driving on Duna when I got this idea. And if we could explore cave systems on certains rocky planets and use robotics parts in order to collect stalagmites and other, get diamonds and precious materials with a robotic arm, ...

It would certainly add depth if this type of exploration/mining was necessary for creating a VAB and launchpad on other celestial bodies.

2 hours ago, BIB♠ said:

Sadly, it is impossible due to the way KSP (and most likely KSP2) renders terrain.

43 minutes ago, DunaManiac said:

Sadly, it is impossible due to the way KSP (and most likely KSP2) renders terrain.

Indeed - the caves could not be "holes" in the actual planetary surface, but would have to be modelled as discrete objects like the Mun arches or the buildings etc..  (The Mohole should be considered a "featured anomaly" rather than a precedent for more general subterranean adventuring).  What the limitations are to the depth/extent of such objects are I couldn't guess - and presumably it would be impractical to mine tunnels/caverns at will - only to "break in" to predefined areas.

Personally, I find this an interesting idea, but not a feature I'd exchange more than one limb for.

Per experimentum et defectum ad astra!

Certainly not possible in the first game, probable in new one (I still believe in hints from the dev blog).

Then again, even if it was only an object, not a part of the terrain, what's the problem? Modern games have millions of polygons rendered at any given time, most of which are on the main character, you can't tell me a simple cave, even made from separate modules, would be too much for the game to handle.

• 2 months later...

yes I know that my hope is hard to realize but imagine an expedition with kerbals who have limited oxygen and have limited ressources. Then We would be forced to add to our vessel an equipement for cave exploration...

1 minute ago, BIB♠ said:

yes I know that my hope is hard to realize but imagine an expedition with kerbals who have limited oxygen and have limited ressources. Then We would be forced to add to our vessel an equipement for cave exploration...

Personally, my take about it is that it's Kerbal Space Program,  I suppose it could be a small feature, maybe procedural caves like ground scatter, but not the main focus of the game/    

On 7/2/2020 at 1:14 PM, kpdavatar said:

I found a crack in Minmus's crust.

Not a cave, just a texture/ model bug?

Don't go in. You go BOOM.

C849B8885EEAABDB1D0B569B93A7520E13EDD6C0

FC15AD9550CF22F7142CC45BB776FFCD8FFC36C6

That's actually a pretty well known bug, I think it was listed as an easter egg on the wiki at one point...

I'm pretty sure this happens often on smaller planets, and I believe there's also one on Gilly.