the holy peanut butter and jelly/jam is the best food, and if you disagree, then you die.

Peanut Butter and Jelly: A Serious Eats Special Report | Serious Eats

corn dogs and corn cobs are also pretty Fresh.

Corn Dog Recipe - It's Even Better Than At The State Fair!

Boiled Corn On The Cob - The Gunny Sack

blueberry waffles, papaya smoothie, that passion fruit juice, CHEESE BREAD!

Blueberry Waffle Recipe - Add a Pinch

Papaya-Banana Smoothie Recipe | Bobby Flay | Food Network

Welch's Fruit Juice Cocktail Passion Fruit | Shop | Price Cutter

Italian Cheese Bread - Plain Chicken

MMMMMMM!11!1!!!!!!11!!11!!!!!1!!!!!!

food is great.

2 hours ago, Dirkidirk said:

the holy peanut butter and jelly/jam is the best food, and if you disagree, then you die.

Peanut Butter and Jelly: A Serious Eats Special Report | Serious Eats

It was at this moment Hanson knew.

He messed up.

Never liked it, regular peanut butter toast is infinitely forever. NOM NOM.

3 minutes ago, HansonKerman said:

It was at this moment Hanson knew.

He messed up.

Never liked it, regular peanut butter toast is infinitely forever. NOM NOM.

just like my brother

DISGUSTANG

and dead

Edited by Dirkidirk

Just now, Dirkidirk said:

just like my brother

DISGUSTANG

and dead

awww I really stuffed up now

my final message

goodbye

<windows startup noise>

food is great.

correct. Minmus deserves to have a mint mod

no way

Corn Dog Recipe - It's Even Better Than At The State Fair!

nah

Boiled Corn On The Cob - The Gunny Sack

ya

Blueberry Waffle Recipe - Add a Pinch

maybe sometimes

Papaya-Banana Smoothie Recipe | Bobby Flay | Food Network

looks good

Welch's Fruit Juice Cocktail Passion Fruit | Shop | Price Cutter

Gotta get the fresh stuff in Brazil

Italian Cheese Bread - Plain Chicken

Looks good minus the cheese!

2 minutes ago, cubinator said:

Looks good minus the cheese!

then you'll just have garlic on bread.

bread with garli-

GARLIC BREAD!

Garlic Bread Recipe | Rachael Ray | Food Network

yum.

5 minutes ago, cubinator said:

no way

a lot of people on this thread probably agree with you. :(

In our house we bought a ton of flour and some yeast, and over the past few weeks have made several loaves of sourdough bread. It's literally the first bread I've ever baked from scratch and I kind of feel like I do when I start a game on Insane mode but don't know the controls yet.

But oh man does it taste gooooooood.

2 hours ago, Superfluous J said:

In our house we bought a ton of flour and some yeast, and over the past few weeks have made several loaves of sourdough bread. It's literally the first bread I've ever baked from scratch and I kind of feel like I do when I start a game on Insane mode but don't know the controls yet.

But oh man does it taste gooooooood.

Yeah, I love to cook, but baking is a whole different ballgame. Have any tips? I've got nothing but time, flour, water, eggs, salt, baking soda & powder, and an oven.

1 hour ago, Dman979 said:

Yeah, I love to cook, but baking is a whole different ballgame. Have any tips? I've got nothing but time, flour, water, eggs, salt, baking soda & powder, and an oven.

Sourdough is SUPER low with ingredients. It's literally flour, water, yeast, salt, and sugar. And you only need yeast the very first time and the sugar doesn't go into the bread itself, just the starter.

It also takes a lot of time. It takes about a week from starting to your first loaf, and once you've got a starter it takes about 18 hours to make a loaf.

I have no tips on baking in general. I can barely fathom it myself and just followed a step-by-step guide for sourdough. I used regular all-purpose flour but have since made my own rice flour (it's literally rice ground up to a powder in a blender), and the first 2 times used a regular bowl instead of a banneton (I've since bought 2 of them so we can make 2 loaves a week).

I followed this recipe for the starter, and this one for the bread. Though I bet any will do. Apparently sourdough starters can last forever with care, and families sometimes pass them down through generations.

Edited by Superfluous J

1 hour ago, Dman979 said:

Hobbyist baker here, and oh boy, do I ever! Bread is as good a place to start as any, and it's not too hard to mess up. If you've got a mixer with a dough hook, use that to knead the dough; if not, it can be done by hand, just with a little more manual effort. If you're just looking to make any old loaf, you can get away with putting the bread in the oven on top of a baking sheet, but if you want to make a square sandwich loaf you're going to need a loaf pan. If you can find bread flour, use that; if not, all-purpose will do. The texture, flavor, and density won't quite be the same, but the resulting loaf will be perfectly edible. If you're looking to make a whole-wheat loaf instead, I recommend mixing half-and-half whole wheat & bread flour. A loaf made with just whole wheat won't rise right, and the end result will be dense and unpalatable.

Another good savory option is buttermilk biscuits, which can also be made on a sheet and are nice and fast (meaning under an hour). Good for weekday dinners, and a nice accompaniment to many meals. Another fun option is pizza, which as it turns out isn't that hard to make from scratch. the only caveats there are that A: you need a pizza stone to bake it on, and B: when you roll out the crust, you need to get it right the first time. Pizza dough is a leavened bread, and if you roll it out to the wrong shape you can't just bunch it up and try again like you can with a pie crust. This is because the rolling process has much the same effect as kneading on the dough's internal structure, and it makes it much harder to work.

On the sweet end of the spectrum, drop cookies (e.g. chocolate chip cookies) are tasty and can be made with little experience. Or, if you're looking for more of a challenge, I've found pies to be deeply satisfying to make. The caveat there is that making the crust without a food processor or pastry blender is a tedious process, since you'd need to cut the fat into the flour manually. Pie crust is a fat-flour mixture held together with a tiny amount of water as a binder, and it takes some work to get everything incorporated evenly.

Feel free to PM me with questions - I'm more than happy to help a fellow forum-goer to learn to bake. It's not as hard as it seems, I promise! :)

1 hour ago, IncongruousGoat said:

Hobbyist baker here, and oh boy, do I ever! ...

Feel free to PM me with questions - I'm more than happy to help a fellow forum-goer to learn to bake. It's not as hard as it seems, I promise! :)

We need to talk!

I've been baking all of our family's bread for the last 15 years, although not sourdough. I make whole wheat sandwich bread mostly, I settled on a recipe early on and now I can practically make it in my sleep. We grind our own flour from wheat berries and use molasses for the sweetener. I can make white bread, but it's a rare occasion that I do. 

6 hours ago, Dman979 said:

While we're on the subject of food and drink, I got the chance to try a fresh tamarind and lime juice drink over the summer last year. Hot damn that was good!

I’m a simple Kerbal. I went to England last year, and had some goooooooood fish and chips. I loved that fish. The chips (haha yes I was not surprised at the meaning, mom was tho lol) were really really bad.

Edited by HansonKerman

On 4/30/2020 at 5:23 PM, HansonKerman said:

I’m a simple Kerbal. I went to England last year, and had some goooooooood fish and chips. I loved that fish. The chips (haha yes I was not surprised at the meaning, mom was tho lol) were really really bad.

Ever had a McChicken there?  It's terrible!  It's basically a giant chicken nugget between two pieces of "bread"!  No spices or that nice orange breading you get in good ol' Murica!

Edited by RoninFrog

15 hours ago, RoninFrog said:

Ever had a McChicken there?  It's terrible!  It's basically a giant chicken nugget between two pieces of "bread"!  No spices or that nice orange breading you get in good ol' Murica!

well yeah Britain is famous for boring food, but the fish and chips I had was amazing.

16 hours ago, RoninFrog said:

Believe me, the chicken doesn't like this any better than you.

Edited by kerbiloid

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.