1.8.1 RSS/RP/RO Crash on Menu Loadup

The game starts up after the initial loading screen, however when it gets to the menu, the screen with the planet and floating kerbals, it pauses for about 2-5 seconds, with nothing on-screen clickable, and then closes. I followed the 1.8.1 install instructions for RSS/RP/RO exactly, including the dll for DeadlyRentry and the folder thing for FAR. The only thing that I didn't follow was the Mechjeb Dev install via CKAN's updated repository. I just downloaded the regular one because my computer is having issues loading that and CKAN says it's failing to load it. I also have principia installed, but both Mechjeb and Principia don't affect the install, as removing them doesn't help with the crashing from my testing. I've also tried forcing OpenGL and uninstalling MSI Afterburner with no luck. Log's at the bottom along with some specs 

_______

Mods installed with their installed versions from CKAN. All the graphics and visual mods from the RSS/RP/RO wiki are running their suggested versions, in case CKAN doesn't match:

HeRmEp3.pngdmFOaKt.png

Player log

W10, 64bit, KSP 1.8.1. i7-7700k w/ GTX 1080

To reproduce: load the game and wait for it to reach the menu 

Hmm, looking at the logs it does not appear that anything has caused a huge error (some complaining from SPE near the end but probably not related).

I did notice though that you had an issue with D3D11 creating textures - I have also been having issues with this, and although my game sometimes would crash during loading I haven't seen it crash after reaching the main menu. It appears to be a problem with Unity and texture compression (see https://forum.unity.com/threads/d3d11-failed-to-create-2d-texture.392286/https://answers.unity.com/questions/1436516/xbox-unity-d3d11-failed-to-create-2d-texture-to-gf.html, etc) - essentially Unity is not happy if the resolution isn't a power of 2 when it tries to compress textures. I have had success with using full resolution textures instead, despite the extra RAM usage. If you can't load the game to change the setting, go into settings.cfg and change the value of TEXTURE_QUALITY to 0.

Otherwise, it might be an issue with some other mods. I am not having any troubles with RSS/RO/RP1, but then again I am not using quite as many mods as you. To try to narrow the problem down, I would recommend first installing only RSS and dependencies, and checking that the game loads. Then, install only RO and dependencies, and check again, and then the same with RP1. Then you can start to add mods back in. I would recommend keeping the graphics mods to the end as sometimes I've found them to be a bit problematic, so check that everything else works before putting them back in. Hopefully you'll be able to narrow down the group of mods which is causing the problem and then checking them one by one.

On 5/1/2020 at 8:12 PM, pt1243 said:

Hmm, looking at the logs it does not appear that anything has caused a huge error (some complaining from SPE near the end but probably not related).

I did notice though that you had an issue with D3D11 creating textures - I have also been having issues with this, and although my game sometimes would crash during loading I haven't seen it crash after reaching the main menu. It appears to be a problem with Unity and texture compression (see https://forum.unity.com/threads/d3d11-failed-to-create-2d-texture.392286/https://answers.unity.com/questions/1436516/xbox-unity-d3d11-failed-to-create-2d-texture-to-gf.html, etc) - essentially Unity is not happy if the resolution isn't a power of 2 when it tries to compress textures. I have had success with using full resolution textures instead, despite the extra RAM usage. If you can't load the game to change the setting, go into settings.cfg and change the value of TEXTURE_QUALITY to 0.

Otherwise, it might be an issue with some other mods. I am not having any troubles with RSS/RO/RP1, but then again I am not using quite as many mods as you. To try to narrow the problem down, I would recommend first installing only RSS and dependencies, and checking that the game loads. Then, install only RO and dependencies, and check again, and then the same with RP1. Then you can start to add mods back in. I would recommend keeping the graphics mods to the end as sometimes I've found them to be a bit problematic, so check that everything else works before putting them back in. Hopefully you'll be able to narrow down the group of mods which is causing the problem and then checking them one by one.

Thanks. I'll try it out and get back with a result

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.