[1.8.x 1.9.x 1.10.x, 1.11.x] PayToPlay - Maintenance Costs Money

DarthPointer

12 hrs after 1.5.2 release I have found out that engines get refreshed stats on each flight scene (re)load. So now we have 1.5.3 released. Sorry :)

## Fixed:
- Vessels that have been rolled out via KCT had their engines stats reset to "a new up-to-date" state on EVERY flight scene (re)load.

I have found out that settings sliders for ignition issues chances have a too large step. This is fixed and released in 1.5.3.1. The intended default ignition issues chances are 0.05%, not 0.1%. Moreover, 0.1% is too much for default settings (with starting reliability slider being set to 2).

##Fixed

- Too large step for ignition issues sliders

• 4 weeks later...

Hello everyone! I have finally given P2P enough attention to get a new release after creating 2 small QoL mods that we (P2P users) will need later. This release is 1.5.4.0, it brings some fixes and features I need to start an actual work on 1.6 with field repairs. Changelog is here:

## Added:
- Ignition Restore buttons that let you restore ignitions without having full maintenance/replacement.
- Ignitions cost money now (relevant for new Ign. Restore buttons and maintenance as now maintenance costs as earlier + ign. resotre).
- Maintenance cost is now not limited with replace cost and can exceed it making maintenance almost useless in certain cases.
- Nerfed Stage1 engines category to 100s of topBaseRatedTime.

## Fixed:
- Reenabled vessel change calls when target part costs changed. In 1.5.3.1 cost changes could only be visible after any other change to the vessel.
- Possibility to clone used null-priced engines. Now copied engines should be treated as "new".

## Note:
- A way I store a state of engine has changed: nominal bool flag is replaced with issueCode int. I've added an OnLoad(ConfigNode) code to properly load status from the bool to the int (for nominal = false there are two different codes). Some testing is done, no issues found yet. Still I'm warning you there is a slight chance that pre-1.5.4.0 P2P saves with any vessels in flight or in KCT building/storage may need manual fixing.

Edited by DarthPointer

It looks I'm done with fixing, 1.5.4.1 is here. I have also noticed that skipper and mainsail got unpatched due to being reintroduced as new parts. Patches are updated. And a new feature - failed engines need extra money for maintenance (configurable per engine patches).

## Added:
- Failed engines get a random configurable extra maintenance cost. Default configs set max random cost to 10% of "full" cost, random costs are not less than 1/2 of configured maximum.

## Fixed:
- NREs when editing symmetries.
- New Mainsail and Skipper were not patched.

I have found out two more bugs in the release, I hope they are fixed now. I have also written cofigs for ReStock+ support. 1.5.4.2 is out.

## Added:
- Config for ReStock+.

## Fixed:
- Entering KCT-edit mode and saving changes could decrease parts sreliability for "no reason".
- Issues with autoreplacing.

• 4 weeks later...

I have spent some time testing my x4.0 scale modbuild. And found out that reusing first stages is more expensive than having fully expendable launchers. I could barely approach ~6 000 bucks per tonn at LKO with reusable launcer including maintenance, refueling, buying expendable parts and amortization while expendable systems gave me ~5 000 bucks per tonn at LKO. Is there any one else who has tried reusing launch vehicles with P2P? Have you ran into expendables being cheaper in x1-x3.2 system scales?

Edited by DarthPointer

A yet another minor feature and balance patch - 1.5.4.4 is out.

## Added:
- subjectToProgress flag to configs, setting it to false turns reliability progress off for parts, removing need to test them.
- Set the new sTP = false for nuclear, ion and SRBs.
- Tweaked reduced maintenance and ignition restore costs by 5 times.

## Note:
- For engines with no ignition limits "replace: 0" button appears for newly added parts. Not fixed yet, no problems detected too.

3 hours ago, Strych74 said:

I'm curious... how does this mod compare to Scrapyard and Oh Scrap?  Would I be correct in assuming this an alternate (and therefore incompatible) to these other mods?  I like the idea of recovery / maintenance / reuse of parts.  I'm wondering what sets this mod apart from (better than?) similar mods out there.

I have tried out scrap yard at some point. And I could not get anything. The idea of inventory is not conflicting with the idea of paid maintenance. We just need to make sure that engines we take from SY inventory don't have their P2P module turning it into a new one. If it does, then SY needs to use the "isKCTBuilt" flag to prevent it, like KCT does.

I have never played Oh Scrap, just heard few words about it and just checked the thread you linked. As it is a reliability mod, OS and P2P part modules should not be VERY compatible. But still, at this piont P2P only operates engines and can be used alongside with OS if you remove OS's modules form engines (via patching). At least it works fine with kerbalism.

• 2 months later...

@DarthPointer, Thanks for writing this mod, looks really interesting and think the design goals are exactly what I am looking for in terms of engine reliability.  @Gotmachine recommended this as a possible alternate to the base Kerbalism  engine reliability module. I haven't really played around with it past looking at it in the VAB yet, but was wondering if you had any interest in implementing a  default engine category for unpatched engines?  If you are not interested, that's fine, I am comfortable doing that myself as you've created an easy to use tagging system for patching.

Just another quick suggestion, I had overlooked this mod a couple of times because in the 5 second scan of the mod when I've come across it prior, it was not really clear what it did.  I have to scroll and read to know what Pay to Play means in gameplay terms.

11 hours ago, hemeac said:

@DarthPointer, Thanks for writing this mod, looks really interesting and think the design goals are exactly what I am looking for in terms of engine reliability.  @Gotmachine recommended this as a possible alternate to the base Kerbalism  engine reliability module. I haven't really played around with it past looking at it in the VAB yet, but was wondering if you had any interest in implementing a  default engine category for unpatched engines?  If you are not interested, that's fine, I am comfortable doing that myself as you've created an easy to use tagging system for patching.

Just another quick suggestion, I had overlooked this mod a couple of times because in the 5 second scan of the mod when I've come across it prior, it was not really clear what it did.  I have to scroll and read to know what Pay to Play means in gameplay terms.

1) Not going to implement auto-patch for all the engines. I prefer explicit "dunno what this engine is, DIY" rather than applying absurd numbers that *may* make people think support of some of the engines is severely broken.

2) P2P means if you don't pay (usual ingame credits) for maintenance of reusable engines, the parts run out of their reliablility capabilities. No paid subs to use the mod ofc)

I'm having some trouble where doing maintenance / restore ignitions on some engines does not reinstate a staging icon in the VAB.  I've done some static fire tests on the launchpad and when I recover them I'm able to maintain the engine and restore the ignitions ok, but when I've launched vessels and recovered the "restore ignitions" and "maintenance" buttons are there, but neither of them cause the engine staging to be restored.  I'm having to remove the engine entirely and fit a new one which triggers the new stage.

I've come across this using engines from the Knes mod; other than this particular instance I haven't had any issues using P2P with Knes so far.  I'll try testing a couple of other stock parts to see if I have the same problem.  Otherwise is there anything I can do that might help further diagnose the problem?

38 minutes ago, Strych74 said:

I've come across this using engines from the Knes mod; other than this particular instance I haven't had any issues using P2P with Knes so far.  I'll try testing a couple of other stock parts to see if I have the same problem.  Otherwise is there anything I can do that might help further diagnose the problem?

Sounds interesting.

1) You can turn extra logging option on in P2P settings (in the settings manager used by stock for difficulty options). And then send me KSP.log. It may help fixing if one of the faulty values gets caught.

2) You can tell me what engines do misbehave. And give me your patches to cover Knes. Just for the case logs don't say me anything.

Upd: not reinstantaiting the staging button is a known issue. I hope I would be able to copy-paste some solution from the S.A.V.E. mod but I've already spent some time on it with no results. May be running it in MVS-Unity debgging will help me.

Edited by DarthPointer

I have detected weird behavior on engines with zero cost but still was able to replace engine with a brand new one. Engines with zero cost get some buttons clicked for -1. I have some quesions to Knes' authors LOL. If you experience trouble with engines that have cost = 0, increase their cost or do not use P2P module on them. For example, I get no ignition restore button in free engines.

Upd: @Strych74, is this the problem you encounter? Or staging is the only thing your concern?

Edited by DarthPointer

14 hours ago, DarthPointer said:

Upd: @Strych74, is this the problem you encounter? Or staging is the only thing your concern?

I have done my own set of part balancing that means I don't have any engines with $0 cost, so can't talk to any issues there.  My main "issue" is with the staging being reinstantiated (love that word) by P2P.  I've done some testing with the stock SRB's, and noted that while the Mite, Shrimp, Flea, and Hammer SRB's all seem to work correctly, the BACC, Kickback, and Pollux behave differently.  I've outlined what I'm seeing for you below.

I've uploaded a copy of my KSP.log file and the MM patchfile I created for the KSP parts to DropBox.

EDIT: Since P2P does appear to be working (albeit with a workaround required for some engines) this is something I see as more of a tidy up / hygiene issue that a gamebreaking defect.   Let me know if there's anything further I can do to support. 

Here's how the engine maintenance is working for me: this was done using the BACC "Thumper" SRB:

1. On recover to VAB and edit the vehicle, the staging icons for the SRB's are not there:  hZAWqB0t.png

2. Updating the engine with fuel and maintenance  QDaNY5Rm.png

3. SRB icon is not reinstantiated, however the new Delta-V stats do appear to be captured  ckwTRw5t.png

4. Saving the edits, leaving the VAB and then re-editing shows the engine updates appear to have been applied correctly  uI5Pguxt.png

Edited by Strych74
Updated with info about perceived priority of error

• 2 months later...

A new version 1.5.5.0 is released. It adds BDB (BDB is *quite big*, did not test all the parts) support, Sibling Reliability Progress, ability to make some engines more reliable on ignition and config custom engineModelId for tracking progess and fixed one NRE case.

Added:

• Sibling reliability, supporting it in Stock and ReStockPlus.
  • ignitionIssuesChanceScale field to make some engines more reliable on ignition (provided config makes ignition issues chance 10 times less for SRBs).
  • EngineDecay module can be configed to use specific engineModelId instead of part's name.
  • Bluedog DB support config.

Fixed:

• NRE when opening a gamesave with the mod for the first time.
Edited by DarthPointer

I have to report that P2P shows inconsistent behaviour with KSP 1.11.x. The story starts here

As the result, P2P gameplay with 1.11 is severelly broken. Eliminating payoffs from recovered engines is one of the key parts of the design, which is now impossible to do with sane usage of IPartCostModifier.

tl;dr: SqUaD folks broke their KSP API.

Edited by DarthPointer

I have finished my work on first "kinda good" implementation of Sibling Reliability. Now you can make engine models (positively) affect reliability of other models and fit diffirent switchable models in same part with B9PS. I will have to spend some time reflecting this at github wiki. Support coverage has also been increased, thanks @Vidga4 for help with this boring stuff.

Added:

• Coatl Aerospace support config.
  • Knes support config.
  • Tantares/LV support configs.
  • Reworked Sibling Reliability graph configging.
  • Sibling Reliability for Bluedog DB, Tantares/LV.
  • Failures are disabled during KRASH simulations

Thanks @Lisias, now it is possible to run P2P on KSP 1.11 and have the recovery costs being what they should be!

1) Since KSP 1.11 it is strongly recommended to use KSP Recall. It is not a hard dependency, but without it recovery refunds can be VERY BROKEN. Here is the KSP Recall thread.

2) I'm releasing P2P v1.5.6.1 - the only change is added support for new part replacing pre-1.11 TwinBoar. (Can anyone tell me what is the hecking difference between Size2LFB and Size2LFB_v2, apart from different partname?)

Added:

• Support for KSP 1.11 new TwinBoar
Edited by DarthPointer

• 3 weeks later...

A performance update 1.5.6.2 is here. I have fixed a logspam bug and found a way to build Release (not Debug) binaries. Simply readding broken links was the only thing I had to do...

## Fixed:
- Logspam after engine reaching warning time not in simulation.
- Finally built binaries in Release mode.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.