I want to cheat - Let's let the community decide how :)

LMksp

I'll say one thing for the pandemic.  It allowed me the time to gain an amazing appreciation for Orbital Mechanics - through dozens and dozens of hours in KSP!

I have 1.9.1 and the expansions. I play totally un-modded, career mode and am down to 12 items remaining in the tech-tree.  

Things are going great!  

Labs on the Mun and Minmus (no mining yet)

Flybys and unmanned lander on Duna.   Penetrated Eve (oooh.. not the best word choice..) but didn't survive to the surface. 

LKO Station built and (due to KSP bugs) I want to build it over again.

My dilemma: 

Running hardware up to the station and back is getting mundane and tedious - enough to make me want to call it a 'done game'.

I know it's way too early for that!!

After resetting a bugged docking port in KML, I realized I could place a vessel into LKO - like magic.   

So, I'm going to start moving stuff up to orbit using that exploit.  But here are the rules:

First, I can only 'wave the magic wand' after proving to myself that I could do it the normal way - by doing it at least once.

Second, I can only move 56 tons at a time, which must fit in the loading bay - roughly the size of three Kerbodyne S3-7200s  (Because that's the limit of my 490 ton reusable beast!:

The Beast (v5.1)

What are your thoughts?  If I'm going to "cheat" or stop playing, is this a reasonable use of cheating?  Are there other rules that I might not have thought of?

Thanks!

Edited by LMksp
fix link

Overall, if it increases your enjoyment if the game, go ahead.

I'd propose maybe only magicking yourself to LKO and then actually traveling regularly from there. It sounds like your main issue is that launching station parts is boring, because, let's be honest, it is. So only teleporting to LKO would allow you to do that while not influencing the rest of the game that much. That way you keep the travel times without having to build a rocket to get whatever it is into orbit. Just a suggestion.

I knew posting this question was the way to go!

This is exactly the type of help I've been looking for.  Thank you!

I've avoided any kind of mod so far, but this is an obvious needed mod to keep the game interesting!  

Thanks again for keeping my 'addiction?' going  ;-)

Really, the only cheat I use is rendezvous. I get the craft into a stable orbit, and I just cheat it to whatever I'm trying to dock it to. I have to say though, you need mods. At the beginning, I tried to avoid any and all mods, but that really made the game mundane. So I started off with some visual mods. My game looked better, but the parts were still crap. So I got more mods.

I recommend Restock, Restock+ , All of Nertea's mods, and KIS/KAS. Trust me, It'll make your game so much better.

Why not just put that game away for a while and play in science or sandbox for awhile, and come back to it when you get the itch?  There is no "use by" date on the save, other than, if KSP updates, you may want to keep a backup un-updated copy of the game to finish out the career.

Not played for a while, but I used to queue MJ commands and then go and do something else... with the odd supervisory glance at MJ to make sure its behaving itself. I racked up many hours of gameplay without actually being there to play the game... including going to lectures when I was still at uni lol

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.