The little lander challenge: Complete

1 minute ago, The Doodling Astronaut said:

None of these videos where what I was meaning. Also, I think I am trashing Jool surface return, that should be a different challenge 

I think Jool sea level is too extreme. A more reasonable goal would be low in Jool atmosphere, which is below 120km.
Maybe add bonus points for people that manage to get lower.

21 minutes ago, EveMaster said:

I think Jool sea level is too extreme. A more reasonable goal would be low in Jool atmosphere, which is below 120km.
Maybe add bonus points for people that manage to get lower.

I like the idea of having it as a separate challenge... Might develop it after little lander

12 hours ago, BallistX said:

It's launch cost that matters i think

Launch cost is what counts, So you can't go over budget when you launch. No reusuable funds.

10 hours ago, Space Nerd said:

I and @EveMaster will do an Eve mission, but our plan would work a lot better if we can have a third launch, can we get permission for that?

Maybe, the real reference is actually three launches so maybe...

I also think since people want three launches available I think that is now allowed.

Along with that I will be boosting up the number of funds you get because I feel like some of the larger missions for flagship will require bigger rockets than what 150,000 or 90,000 gives

Xenon is also banned now because I feel like that goes against the spirit of this round is and that is to fill in a quick sample return mission

I hope this didn't cause anyone to redo their whole mission :P

Also thank you for everyone who did round 3 of the Little Lander Challenge. It is now officially no longer accepting submissions

Round 3: Final Rankings

1. @EveMaster 1,155 | Comet Chaser | Flagship

2. @GRS 525 | The Collector | Flagship

3. @The Doodling Astronaut 310 | Cosmic Chaser | Flagship 

4. @Space Nerd 295 | DelV 16k | Flagship

5. @BallistX 270 | Infinity 1 | Flagship

Edited by Guest

I finished my mission which will both be the example and my submission. This means most rules are finalized now...

Edit: Video is done... just have to head to work now and once I am done with that I can come back and finish it...

Edited by Guest

On 4/30/2020 at 4:58 AM, The Doodling Astronaut said:

-Cheats are allowed for testing only!

I guess, playing in "Science mode" and unlocking all technology with alt+F12 cheat menu is OK. It is basically the same than playing in "Sandbox mode" without cheats but has the advantage that the returned science and where the craft has been is reported on mission completion.

5 minutes ago, EveMaster said:

I guess, playing in "Science mode" and unlocking all technology with alt+F12 cheat menu is OK. It is basically the same than playing in "Sandbox mode" without cheats but has the advantage that the returned science and where the craft has been is reported on mission completion.

You could do that. In my mission I just reviewed it all after spashdown.

I finished the example of the mission but I can't score it yet or get it on the patch till my lunchtime

Oh, I should also add that here is the end of the year schedule

There and back again R4 - September

Underwater Understudy R5 - October

Collaboration Lander (more details to come soon) - November/December

Edited by Guest

Here is a teaser for Collaboration Lander:

"It has come to point that teaming up is the best way to get something out of everything. But maybe our team has taken it too far. The Collaboration Project must be able to head to all the planets and moons in KSP one launch. We are giving you an unlimited amount of funds for this project..."

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/30/2020 at 4:58 AM, The Doodling Astronaut said:

Scoring:

3. Spacecraft: Based on what your spacecraft did you get certain amount of points

Lander:

Each science experiment is 10 points for each stored (each expirement can only record science for each biome one time only)

Does only surface science and splashed down science count? Or also flying low? What about high up in the atmosphere science? I think obviously science in orbit does not count since it is a lander challenge, is that right?

10 hours ago, EveMaster said:

Does only surface science and splashed down science count? Or also flying low? What about high up in the atmosphere science? I think obviously science in orbit does not count since it is a lander challenge, is that right?

Any science on destination counts :) 

So yes on Orbit science

I would say flying low is ok

high up is ok

On 9/12/2020 at 7:28 AM, GRS said:

@BallistX

Have we started ? Been away for a "while"

Yes!

Ok, I found this challenge and instantly got sucked into it. It's 2 am right now, lol

I took a 100,000 fund rocket to Tylo, Vall, Eeloo, Dres, and Ike, picking up four experiments from each, and landing all the experiments in a sample container.

It was all LF+O and solid fuel - no nukes, monoprop, or xenon. No RTGs were used; solar panels are cheaper anyway.

Imgur album here: https://imgur.com/a/K30Eju9

Thank you for making such an enjoyable challenge!

Edit: Oh no, I didn't see that orbital science counted also! Now I think I could have done a flyby of every destination... Oh well.

Edit 2: Would it count if I claimed science for Kerbin, The Sun, Eve, Jool, Mun, and Duna, as well as Tylo, Vall, Eeloo, Dres, and Ike? Because I could have picked up three experiments for each of the six bodies that I did a flyby of.

edit 3: the Imgur link is broken, will fix when I wake up 

edit 4: ok the imgur link should be fixed now

Edited by camacju
rip me

I changed my design and squeezed out enough margin for a Duna landing and a Moho landing. I made the lander a bit lighter, and split the orbiter into a nuclear booster and a fuel tanker. This meant that I had to slightly change my strategy for the landings, but I had a lot more margin than I had expected.

https://imgur.com/a/Mt7QjzC

Landed on Tylo, Vall, Eeloo, Dres, Duna, Ike, Moho, Kerbin - Seven landings other than Kerbin, four experiments on each, for a total of 28 experiments returned in the sample container

I think this is how I'd be scored:
Difficulty: Hard (40 pts)
Two easy destinations landed (40 pts)
Two medium destinations landed (60 pts)
Intermediate destination landed (50 pts)
Two hard destinations landed (140 pts)
28 science experiments (280 pts)
Total: 610 pts

Edit: Mechjeb was used for suicide burns and maneuvers only. I flew most of the landings and all of the ascents by hand.

Edited by camacju

Just now, camacju said:

@The Doodling Astronaut Am I scoring this correctly or am I missing something?

Let me check it out. And congrats on completing the challenge. And also anyone else make sure to ping me so I notice it.

can you also post some images of all your science collected in the end? I will take your integrity for how much but to verify I will take what you said

I'm sorry but I didn't take a screenshot of the collected science. I wouldn't gain anything if I had faked it though, there are four instruments on the lander and they can be transported to the sample container after each docking, so it's pretty trivial to collect the data.

In the first album you can see the four experiments I used.

Edited by camacju
a

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.