The little lander challenge: Complete

Flagship Patches are now available for Flagship level submissions. These ones are a little bit different. The color of font is yellow if the planet slash moon is white and it's still white font color for other destinations.

This image has an empty alt attribute; its file name is round-4-flagship-1.png

@The Doodling Astronaut I got imgur working, this is probably gonna be my last submission - unless someone ends up beating it (:

https://imgur.com/a/AuFP99S

Ship name: m
Landings: Dres, Duna, Ike, Tylo, Vall, Eeloo x5, Moho x2, Kerbin - Total 13
Flybys: Jool, Sun, Eve, Laythe
Experiments returned: 108 (I spammed orbit and surface science this time lol)

I had even more margin this time than last time, even though I doubled the number of landings.
-I definitely had enough spare fuel for another Ike expedition or two if I were smart enough to send out the lander without full fuel
-Kerbin->Jool should really take about 1000 m/s but it took me 1400 m/s because I'm impatient
-After the Tylo landing every landing had 150-200 m/s extra, so I could have tightened down the fuel loads
-Eeloo to Eve transfer was unnecessary - I could have done a Eeloo to Kerbin or even Eeloo to Jool transfer and that would have been the same result, but again I'm impatient
-Similarly I could have saved another 500 m/s by doing a Moho to Eve to Kerbin route instead of Moho to Kerbin directly

Even after all this inefficiency I ended with almost 1.4 km/s of delta-v, so more landings are definitely possible. I can definitely fit two more Ike landings and another Eeloo landing, but any more and I'd probably have to redesign the craft or change the flight path.

Edited by camacju

15 minutes ago, camacju said:

Eve sample return mission would be cool but it would have to return 100+ experiments to beat this I think

It would also give you flagship.

Also, unfortunately you can't do science twice in the same biome so I would need a list of what science you did.

2 minutes ago, camacju said:

Experiment storage container can only hold one experiment per biome. So the 108 I returned are guaranteed to be unique

I also can't count any science collected about Kerbin.

Because that isn't a destination for sample return ;) 

Do you have a guess how much where those

hmm, so on the lander I had four instruments, three of which work in flight (the seismometer doesn't), and then a magnetometer on the orbiter, so that's four experiments for every situation, for a total of 27 situations

Dres high, Dres low, Dres landed
Duna flying, landed
Ike landed x2
Jool high, low
Tylo high, low, landed
Vall high, low, landed
Eeloo high, low, landed x5
Moho high, low, landed x2

Hmm that's only 26 situations, I must have gotten something else
I suppose you could mark down 104 instead of 108 experiments, lemme launch up KSP and find which extra experiments I had

Edit: I found that I had done experiments in solar orbit - so those wouldn't count

Edited by camacju

3 minutes ago, camacju said:

hmm, so on the lander I had four instruments, three of which work in flight (the seismometer doesn't), and then a magnetometer on the orbiter, so that's four experiments for every situation, for a total of 27 situations

snip

Ok @camacju congrats! You are fully set for submission, everything is approved so your final score is 1440 points!

With 12 days left and 2 submissions, I am going to extend round 4 to October but introduce round 5 to be also played in October

Round 5: Underwater Understudy

Scenario: It's been well documented of the surface of a planet or moon and it's been well known you don't want your eve lander to end up in the ocean, but in this case we want you to! As part of a bigger project coming up, we need some first steps underwater. It's a bold place unexplored, so you must bring it all, the science, the cameras, and the samples. We are counting on you to make history as we explore the yesterday's understudy! 

Rules: Not available

Mission: Fly to an ocean capable planet (both mods and stock destinations,) be able to submerge under the surface. And preform science and possibly return samples.

This is the final round! Don't want to miss it as it will be the most ambitious!

16 hours ago, EveMaster said:

We have lot of science from Eve surface and atmosphere but less than 100. No science from orbit or from other bodies. When I landed on Eve, shortly after me asking the question about scoring, i did not know, that was allowed.

Yeah I was not expecting a submission of a multiplanetary spacecraft. But I had no rules against it so :/.

@The Doodling Astronaut, now @Space Nerd and me have completed this round. We have done landings on Minmus and Gilly for refueling and on Eve for science. From Eve we have returned 72 science including a materials bay scan, and 3 robotic arm experiments as well as 300 units of ore.

Here are the imgur mission reports of my parts of the mission:

Kerbin Ascent and Minmus Refueling
Gilly Refueling
Eve landings
Eve surface
Eve ascent

We launched three crafts in total. These are the crafts I designed and launched:

8V8ujtw.jpguEwccRA.jpg

Congrats my friends! I will get the scoring done right away. Just a notice, both of you will have separate scores but get a bonus for the co-op to where you will like it that you both have separate scores.

So I can only score you on your part of the mission right now as I would need to see @Space Nerd's submission

11 hours ago, camacju said:

oh they used DLC ):

Now I'm going to have to try to beat this run - I'm thinking I skip the Tylo landing and settle for a flyby, and instead spam science out of Dres/Ike/Eeloo.

Will update in a few days

I don't know how I might feel about allowing multiple destinations. It wasn't the main idea for this round. So maybe you should try doing one destination and making some cool trick like a rover or a biome hopper to get a lot of science. 

5 hours ago, Space Nerd said:

I think my albums will come out next month, since school is quite busy at this point.

Keep School as priority number 1! I will accept them next month.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.