The little lander challenge: Complete

4 hours ago, The Doodling Astronaut said:

Do you have more images? Because I would like to get some more for the update video? But don't worry this submission counts and there is also bonus points so let me calculate that as well. 

Also I can't tell what time it was when you landed on Tylo? Was it between 200 and 400 kerbin days?

Scratch that, found the gallery

Scratch that, no time limits on hard mode

Okay I have your final score at 235! Close one!

Expanded lander bonuses come from doing the expanded part of the challenge!

I guess the additional points come from "interplanetary lander" and "easter egg"(As the Tylo cave is an easter egg). I did not know that these count in addition and not only the highest. Is that correct?

If you you need some screenshots without GUI you can ask me to create them, I have plenty of saves.

I noticed that you added an image of my mission to the first post of this thread. I assumed only one submission can earn the 30 points for the best image. Maybe I'm wrong. Are my extra 30 points for the best image or is for the reason I wrote in my last post?

Here are some scenic images of my mission without UI:

Spoiler

LFZ93jZ.jpg

N0iXGrO.jpg

mmyXUao.jpg

DBPF4QH.jpg

10 days till round 1 is over. I am going to use your submissions images and video clips in an overview video. I am asking now for anyone who doesn't want me to use their images. If you have  problem with it, then now is the time to tell. Round two will start on June 4th 2020 and it will include an expansion and new rules! I hope people will participate again for Round 2!

I'm wondering Is there any benefit to using the exact same craft(*) for the second mission? And/or to visiting several destinations in a mission?

(*) New launch but same craft file

9 hours ago, AHHans said:

I'm wondering Is there any benefit to using the exact same craft(*) for the second mission? And/or to visiting several destinations in a mission?

(*) New launch but same craft file

Round 2 will feature new challenges and continues the story of after you finish the first lander. The next lander will feature new requirements and specific science and multiple destinations. I am also going to allow mod planets like @JacobJHC's planet packs. 

3 hours ago, Space Nerd said:

Is the lander vibrating a stock bug?

It's something I still don't know why it does it but I think it's a bug. I am getting ready to grade your submission. Is the duna lander entry part of the expansion of round 1?

Congrats @Space Nerd for completing this challenge. To those who are still working on this round, the round will end on June 1st 2020 at 1200 AM MDT. For anyone wanting to give a submission, now is the time. For anyone going to participate on round 2, there is now rules for this challenge. Please give feedback and give out some advice on changing the rules. Round 1 will still be available for people to do in round 2, but they will not count to the final scoreboard.

LINK TO THE ROUND 2 RULES

BTW I have plans for there to be a lot of Rounds. All featuring new challenges and to add to the story of the Little Lander. These missions will eventually be used in a story for one of my missions.

FYI - I am not taking submissions for Round 2 until June 4th 2020 at 1200 AM MDT

Edited by Guest

To the round 2 rules:

I like the idea of two landers. The scoring seems to be balanced for me. I don't know the planet extension packs. If some of them have a high inclination that also has to be accounted for in the scoring.

For the destination points you showed a picture of Tylo as an example for high orbital velocity. But Tylo has an orbital velocity of 2131 which is less than 2300 so it would be medium accordin to the text. https://wiki.kerbalspaceprogram.com/wiki/List_of_orbital_velocities_for_low_orbit

For the lander design I would like to have more flexibility regarding relais. Especially for bodies with athmosphere where you cannot extend fragile antennas during landing. A relais plus a short range antenna weights more than just a long range antenna without relais functionality but has the advantage of a smaller lander. So I would allow both types without differences in points. I would argue that decoupling a relais that has no propulsion in a direct ascent mission would still make this mission a direct ascent. Of course only parts lauched with the one initial lauch can be used for communication. Will there be the same requirement to transmit data back from the surface as in part 1?

I suggest you drop the requirement of having something to stop the craft from touching the ground for round 2. It feels unnatural having to add something that makes the lander larger just for the sake of it. I attached the last decoupler in my submission upside down so that the decoupler stops the craft from touching the ground. If you take it literally, you cannot fulfill this rule anyways because the struts, landing legs, etc. you land on, are part of your lander.

Thanks for this challennge. I'm also going to take part in the next round.

7 hours ago, EveMaster said:

To the round 2 rules:

<Important stuff that I don't want to repeat in this forums>

:o oops on the Tylo! going to have to fix that soon! High inclination will have to be taken into factor, but honestly, I don't think those moons will be taken into factor if they do have high inclinations because usually they are in higher orbits where the inclination change can be easily cheap. But yes, I will include points for inclination. I love the detail into putting Relays. These where the roughdraft rules. So I didn't want to go into too much detail. Especially since I want to make my website posts not too long. But don't worry, there will be specifications on parts and pieces with some examples as well. The requirement of make sure that the lander didn't touch the ground because realistically you wouldn't keep the engine touching the surface. I was not specific about what I meant. I want to make sure the engine doesn't touch the ground. That was an oops on me. Also, I didn't count structural parts, decouplers, or Landing legs ever to be the probe or engine. So it never was a problem to me. But hey! Maybe I should do better next time. Thanks for the feedback! It's nice to know that someone will be participating in the next round! 

Also, I would love some of the mod planets and moons to have submissions to anyone participating!

Oh and one important note that flight assisting mods will be allowed in this challenge

12 hours ago, EveMaster said:

Apollo 15 did land on its engine bell:

But that engine was never used again...

you are going to use the engine multiple times through the mission. And the engine touching the ground makes your lander seem unprofessional to me at least.

EDIT: Expanded lander part of challenge is closed for the round. Submissions for round 2 start on June 2nd. 

Edited by Guest

Is the Duna lander part of the expansion challenge? Because that’s over (due to lack of participation) I am still going to allow regular submissions 

Submit it quickly and then I can score it. It's probaby is if you didn't know of the expansion challenge. I deleted it from the OG post.

Wait what :confused:??? So you are submitting three landers? I'm very confused? You can submit only one lander, so sorry but you are going to have to choose one of the three...

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.