The little lander challenge: Complete

10 hours ago, Space Nerd said:

Got my first asteroid! :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Surprised Pikachu | Know Your Meme

We want pictures :sticktongue:!!!

What size?

16 hours ago, Space Nerd said:

By the way, can I sent my telescope to a solar orbit to scan for comets?

Yes you can. It helps finds comets and is the only way to find interstellar comets.

15 hours ago, Space Nerd said:

I think I will post pictures after I did more asteroids.

It's not a big one, but it's enough to decrease the dv of my ship from 11600 to 280.

If an asteroid gets you down from 11600 to 280, you did something wrong, because i was able to do my full flagship mission's first part (2 asteroids, 1 comet, 1 dresteroid) using only 10000m/s of Delta V, if that was the comet, i don't think you can get to Dres on 280, find an easier comet.

Also i did 2 more dresteroids before going on my vacation.

19 hours ago, BallistX said:

If an asteroid gets you down from 11600 to 280, you did something wrong, because i was able to do my full flagship mission's first part (2 asteroids, 1 comet, 1 dresteroid) using only 10000m/s of Delta V, if that was the comet, i don't think you can get to Dres on 280, find an easier comet.

Also i did 2 more dresteroids before going on my vacation.

I think he is referring to when docking with the asteroid the amount of fuel the bar says goes from 11600 to 280. I had a comet right before docking I had 5400 when I grappled it said I had 1 m/s leftover. After detaching it went back to 5400.

Hold up on score. It will be easier when submissions are fully complete

Actually you know what. I am not really going to update until the missions are complete

Edited by Guest

10 hours ago, Space Nerd said:

I would love a round 4 but it has to be later than 8/20 as I only finished less than half of my mission.

Also I have to spend some time on the collaborate station.

Ok, I think round 4 will commence on 9/1/2020. And I think that I will do 5 rounds. The final round will then be on November. 

Edited by Guest

4 minutes ago, BallistX said:

Alright, next week i'll probably have a lot of time to do a LOT of dresteroids and then crash into Dres.

Why crash into Dres when you can redirect another Dresteroid to collide with another Dresteroid and leave the spacecraft in the middle to make a Dresteroid-Spacecraft sandwhich?

17 hours ago, The Doodling Astronaut said:

Why crash into Dres when you can redirect another Dresteroid to collide with another Dresteroid and leave the spacecraft in the middle to make a Dresteroid-Spacecraft sandwhich?

Because my probe isn't shaped to move asteroids, as it's Klaw is back-mounted and between the engines, also it probably doesn't have nearly enough TWR for my sanity...

Also it's nice that there will be more rounds, i'll likely participate.

G4qnskZ.png

The Collector Launching.

M0fTFCN.png

Getting rid of first stage.

UJuwBub.png

Commencing escape burn.

P9RgRf1.png

Deploying Ion Drive.

HZjznhd.png

Bye Kerbin.

ySq43DW.png

Dike.

HCPQyku.png

Joolar assist.

y9zzdCq.png

Got a G Class Comet.

1LJLeKC.png

Aiming for the other one...

kK39WQh.png

Caught Lagertrey...the second G Class...

JxviZ7H.png

Jool assist to reach Tartarus, H Class Comet.

jNTHhFp.png

Gargantuan indeed...

rGSpI6m.png

Cya !

lOeBvTD.png

Dike...again...i have no idea why i did this...

4LAdttF.png

Extremus 1, a Mejik Boulder.

ROEiSIh.png

xDFplJN.png

ELAciTQ.png

Some small Asteroids.

kCSs1Nj.png

With around 50 m/s Delta V, The Collector goes to its grave...Jool.

mVUSay1.png

F2MpeN5.png

Fiery demise to prevent Kerbolar contamination.

Is it allowed to change the relative spawn probability for interstellar comets by editing game files?

By looking at the CometDefs.cfg it seems that in version 1.10.1 when a comet spawns, its probability of being interstellar is just 1%, and comets already have a very low spawn chance compared to asteroids.

In 1.10 it seemed to be different and the release note of 1.10.1 indicates this: "Fix spawn probabilities for comet types.".

Of 3 comets I found in 1.10 all three were interstellar.

I cannot get an interstellar comet to spawn in 1.10.1 even with reloading.

On 7/30/2020 at 3:56 PM, EveMaster said:

Is it allowed to change the relative spawn probability for interstellar comets by editing game files?

By looking at the CometDefs.cfg it seems that in version 1.10.1 when a comet spawns, its probability of being interstellar is just 1%, and comets already have a very low spawn chance compared to asteroids.

In 1.10 it seemed to be different and the release note of 1.10.1 indicates this: "Fix spawn probabilities for comet types.".

Of 3 comets I found in 1.10 all three were interstellar.

I cannot get an interstellar comet to spawn in 1.10.1 even with reloading.

Sure, since you are the only one doing an interstellar comet:

Emperor Palpatine Do It GIFs | Tenor

So far I have a flagship patch in mind. But I think it would be cool to only have one but it has all the spacecraft from all the users with some stats of how much D/V was used and how many asteroids and comets where visited.

Oh yeah and Round 4 has a somewhat a theme right now

Spoiler

Rovers, Rockets, and Sample Returns

The next theme of this is inspired by perseverence and the sample return concept.

Part of how this will work is that you will launch at most 4 missions to land a rover with a drill, sample return lander, and an return orbiter. I also have a treat that most rounds should be unique. If you collaborate with another user and they both will do separate missions you can get bonuses.

I completed my submission for round 3. My space craft, the CometChaser goes to

• 5 asteroids
Spoiler

UVzhnpo.jpgrx1tRJB.jpg0pp5KRZ.jpgvGHSNCk.jpgQ4j20aQ.jpg

• 4 dresoids
Spoiler

evQ1sUe.jpgCYdrSiJ.jpgFM7ijXJ.jpgPX7TaVu.jpg

• 4 periodic comets
Spoiler

aB6dGEx.jpgaZgZsPo.jpgcetK3Q1.jpg2oFNkNQ.jpg

• 1 interstellar comet
Spoiler

DctiHNH.jpg

I collided two asteroids and two dresoids at speeds > 30m/s. The ion stage lands back on Kerbin intact after having visited all space objects. This was a long mission so I split up the mission report into 4 parts:

The craft has 42 parts (coincidence). The craft file can be found here: https://kerbalx.com/EveMaster/CometChaser

yxY1qTo.jpg

Edit:

Some information about the interstellar comet Vikritz 2 I visited:

• class G (interstellar comets are G - I)
  • mass: 18.65 kilotons
  • resources: 93%
  • inclination: 31.6° (This is randomly between -180° and 180°)
  • eccentricity: 1.3366 (above 1.0 is interstellar. This is randomly between 1.01 and 1.4 for interstellar comets)
  • perioapsis: 4.545 Gm

The way from Dres orbit to the interstellar orbit:

• 8,693 m/s burn at Dres orbit
  • Not going around the sun because that would take too long, but going into a transfer orbit with 84.5° inclination
  • 11,454 m/s brake burn to rendezvous with interstellar comet
  • The solar panels only provided enough energy for the ion engine to run at around 1.5% of its power so the burn took several real time minutes even at 50-100 times physics warp.
  • Arrived at interstellar comet when 70.675 Gm from sun (around the distance of Jool to sun)

The way from the interstellar comet back to Kerbin was the most interesting part as the delta V budget was very tight:

• 4,004 m/s to get back into a captured orbit around the sun
  • 119 m/s to reduce apoapsis to 1,521 Gm (13.4 times farther than Eeloo at its apoapsis)
  • 57 m/s to raise periapsis to height of Eve
  • 320 m/s to get an Eve encounter
  • First Eve encounter has a speed at Eve periapsis of 9.85 km/s and an inclination of 114°
  • 236 years,13 gravity assists (5x Eve - 2xJool - Mun - Kerbin - 2xEve - Kerbin - Mun) and only 40m/s in total later reaching Kerbin
  • 196 m/s capture burn at Kerbin (no aerocapture)
  • 53 m/s burn to avoid unhelpful mun assist
  • Aerobraking down to low Kerbin orbit over around 20 passes
  • 11 m/s to raise apoapsis out of the atmosphere and reach a 70kmx75km orbit
  • 36 m/s deorbit burn
  • 157 m/s burn at 40km to slow rentry. (pointing between retrograde and antiradial)

Edited by EveMaster
Added further information

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.