The little lander challenge: Complete

4 minutes ago, linuxgurugamer said:

I actually don't expect until noon in Mexico City, 1pm Eastern

? Never heard that before

12 hours ago, The Doodling Astronaut said:

3 HOURS TILL 1.10 COMES OUT!!!

For people attempting flagship here is what you can expect.

-Fly and receive a sample of an asteroid

-Use same spacecraft to receive a sample of a comet

-Then fly by kerbin and drop samples

-Use said flyby to your advantage and fly to Jool <Not required for flagship but makes you recieve a whole lot of points>

A sample in this case would be an ore container so you will need a drill

I would probably be able to do it properly but is it allowed to use an asteroid i already put in LKO? If not i'll just get myself a low inclination asteroid and comet generated for the flagship challenge

4 hours ago, BallistX said:

I would probably be able to do it properly but is it allowed to use an asteroid i already put in LKO? If not i'll just get myself a low inclination asteroid and comet generated for the flagship challenge

previous visits to asteroids are not allowed nor is one cheated into it's orbit. Full details to come out soon.

LLC round 3 is delayed to July 3rd sorry folks

4 hours ago, The Doodling Astronaut said:

previous visits to asteroids are not allowed nor is one cheated into it's orbit. Full details to come out soon.

LLC round 3 is delayed to July 3rd sorry folks

Alright, that needed clarification, and i'm okay with that because i can't even access my PC right now. Are mods like persistent thrust allowed?

3 hours ago, BallistX said:

Alright, that needed clarification, and i'm okay with that because i can't even access my PC right now. Are mods like persistent thrust allowed?

More details to come :D

I am testing a round 3 mission right now. And boy the comet orbits are crazy

little-lander-submission-round-3.jpg?w=1099&h=

Welcome to the final round ;D

submissions starts tomorrow. I really hope that you guys will actually do what the round was designed to do. I want you all to visit multiple space rocks. Submit your first one then go visit another one, then another, then another. Now don't just stand there let's go to space!

Round ends on August 19th 2020 at 2:00 AM EDT 

Edited by Guest

Flagship changes. Patch for round 3 has changed. I hope you like it. The changes are the border color is Red and instead of a celestial body it will be a background image of your choice.

You will have your spacecraft in it still

You at least have to do the 2 asteroids. Going to 2 dresteroids is easier than most think. You can head in HDO head to a Dresteroid then lower the orbit a little bit, then head to another Dresteroid with at most 500 M/S. So sorry (you can still go to 2 Dresteroids if you want the points [highest scoring get's a special patch])

4 hours ago, The Doodling Astronaut said:

You at least have to do the 2 asteroids. Going to 2 dresteroids is easier than most think. You can head in HDO head to a Dresteroid then lower the orbit a little bit, then head to another Dresteroid with at most 500 M/S. So sorry (you can still go to 2 Dresteroids if you want the points [highest scoring get's a special patch])

I will get as many dresteroids as possible for pointing then, is bringing samples back still required for flagship?

13 hours ago, BallistX said:

I will get as many dresteroids as possible for pointing then, is bringing samples back still required for flagship?

No

On 7/3/2020 at 7:08 PM, The Doodling Astronaut said:

You can head in HDO head to a Dresteroid then lower the orbit a little bit, then head to another Dresteroid with at most 500 M/S.

I would say it only takes a few 10's of m/s since the orbital speed at their altitude is so low.

Update: I got on a ballistic trajectory on Dres, which i subsequently fixed and i'm about to encounter the first dresteroid of this mission

I've done the first dresteroid and i have 2217 m/s left.

In the VAB

This Standart Mainsail-Poodle 2 Stage Rocket will take my probe into it's journey.

Second Stage and Probe

Due to the Klaw Jr. being placed at the bottom of the probe, i had to build a pretty interesting arrangement to hold the probe in place.

Interplanetary Space

Despite having left Kerbin's SOI, it is still barely visible.

Burn Preparations

I was about to do one of the last burns using the second stage of the launcher.

Encounter Ready

You can see the potential targets' orbits.

Touchdown?

We can still see the second stage in behind the asteroid.

Naming it

I1 for Infinity 1, the mission's name, and 1 for the first destination.

First Re-Encounter

I came back in Kerbin's SOI temporarily, to fling me toward my next target.

Matching velocities With the next target.

Say hi to I1 - 2!

The second destination is a slightly larger asteroid.

Comet Kennard-Obford-Tombree 1

This Intermediate period comet is the next destination for Infinity 1.

Swing Past Kerbin

This was a by-product of my velocity matching I1 - 2, which was in a Kerbin Encounter Trajectory.

The Big Burn

A huge burn to get an encounter with Kennard-Obford-Tombree 1 (which i'll refer to at K-O-T 1 from now on).

Burning Ahead!

The comet was visible, but was not emitting a Plasma Tail yet.

There it is.

The Plasma Tail was a little shy and appeared late, but it was just as beautiful as usual.

Finally After nearly a full orbit i was approaching K-O-T 1.

The Coma

At this point i was entering the comet's Coma, this was nearly the image i'd select for my flagship patch.

But this one's better

I decided to pick this image as the one in my flagship patch, no need to add the probe onto it either since it's already there.

A prefix

Instead of making the comet's name I1 - C1, i decided to add it as a prefix.

A tiny Planet

Dres, the forgotten planet, even this mission won't study it in detail, only it's scattered ring of asteroids.

Chapter one Complete

And the arrival at I1 - 3(D) marks the end of this first chapter of the Infinity 1 Mission. It is already Flagship level. In Chapter 2, i will go to many Dresteroids to get large amounts of Data on this mysterious feature in a very high orbit of Dres.

@The Doodling Astronaut

The probe's Twin Ion Engines allow for more thrust, and is very useful even with Persistent Thrust Mod.

So if I am correct you had 3 spacecraft so far.

Flagship patches will be developed at the end of the challenge so that I can list all the destinations that you visited. Good job @BallistX

There will also be an all supplier patch. Meaning that you participated in all three rounds

@EveMaster and @Space Nerd can qualify for getting the all supplier patch if they do round 3

I am telling this because the patch will be great (especially if you @Space Nerd do flagship for this round.) It will include all three of your spacecraft, all the destinations on a list, AND your favorite color

(Should've participated in Round 1...)

I guess i finally get the 1.10...I only need to wait for it, then i can talk about the mission.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.