The little lander challenge: Complete

Nice job staying in Budget! I think I am going to get the scores completed for a few of you today and then check back later...

Out of curiosity @EveMaster did the asteroids explode or did they pass right through each other?

25 minutes ago, The Doodling Astronaut said:

Out of curiosity @EveMaster did the asteroids explode or did they pass right through each other?

The asteroids collided like Billard balls and did not explode when I collided them at 221.7 m/s. Both of them changed course. For the second collision the smaller dresoid was pushed forward by the larger one and both dresoids moved at nearly the same speed after the collision as in an inelastic collsion. Also no explosion for the second collsion.

I think though that a collision can break them up into multiple pieces if the speed is higher. I don't know what the condition for this is and if this only applies to comets or if there is a minimum required size.

5 minutes ago, The Doodling Astronaut said:

Evemaster, your spacecraft is truly a giant:

1,155 points!

Note If any of you find an incorrect problem with your score please say it!

The score seems to be correct for me.

Flagship done, unfortunately a Kraken attack ripped off two ion engines and one Xenon tank while attached to a comet, so this is going to be it for this mission.

Also the nuclear stage sort of stuck after decoupling, it's only released after some time in 4x physics warp, do I need a redesign?

(Hopefully not)

Name: DelV 16k

Class: Flagship

Visted 2 asteroids, 2 dresteroids, and 1 comet.

The asteroids and dresteroids were done with a nuclear stage, no Xenon.

Pictures will have to wait a few days, if I don't have time today, as I will be on vacation starting from tomorrow for 3 days, and I took over 2000 screenshots.

Edited by Space Nerd

I hope you have quicksaves...and i'll let that "refusing to let go" issue slip as i don't think its a bug exploitation, but wait for his statement...

I don't think i'll be able to complete Infinity 1 due to going on vacation for another damn 2 weeks, so i'll just take the flagship with 2 asteroids 1 comet 3 dresteroids, also, i like your new location @The Doodling Astronaut

I'll still do a few more dresteroids (until i find a magic BoulDres) and crash it into Dres after the deadline.

10 hours ago, BallistX said:

I don't think i'll be able to complete Infinity 1 due to going on vacation for another damn 2 weeks, so i'll just take the flagship with 2 asteroids 1 comet 3 dresteroids, also, i like your new location @The Doodling Astronaut

I'll still do a few more dresteroids (until i find a magic BoulDres) and crash it into Dres after the deadline.

I feel you was hoping to do Eve lander earlier than when I released it but I promised to some activies

1 minute ago, The Doodling Astronaut said:

I feel you was hoping to do Eve lander earlier than when I released it but I promised to some activies

I once tried to do an Eve lander with some balanced mods, it went extremely wrong, accidentally quickloaded with parachutes deployed and my craft was ripped apart, sending debris off at 4% of the speed of light. Incredible what The Kraken can do...

Who likes Round 5 being about Underwater explorers?

Meaning you would send a submarine to Laythe or Eve or another planet and explore the ocean. I would have to find out what flagship would be (maybe distance or deepness but that should be easy. Or some kind of sample return... hey I got an idea!)

So what I am thinking is:

Round 4: There and back again - Sept/Oct

You and maybe another forum user have the task of landing a rover to collect science, and send that science back. Based on how hard the planet/moon is, the more points it is. Flagship would be meaning to do a huge rover with a lot of science, then a return craft with an optional orbiter. 

Use this from @Matt Lowne for reference (since I discovered it has a lot in common with what I hope round 4 to be)

Spoiler

Round 5: Underwater Understudy - Nov/Dec

You have the task of landing a submarine capable of collecting science from the water surface, underwater, and at the underwater surface. To do so, you must be able to create something that well... sinks! Based on capabilities the sub can do will equal more points. A sample return would mean flagship depending on destination.

For reference on how to make a sub take this from @hazard-ish (since it can tell how to sink!)

Spoiler

Since Round 3 was about as many destinations as possible, I think I might change up the next round schedules

Round 4: There and back again! - Sept

Round 5: Underwater Understudy - Oct

Round 6: TBD - Nov

Round 7: TBD - Dec

Thoughts?

Flagship Patches coming up!

Everyone so far get's flagship meaning I have a dilemma to do. Flagship patches take quite a while to make if I am making 5. I think it would be cool if we had a banner of all the round 3 spacecraft with all the space rock names visited. The banner would be available for anyone who participated in round 3 alongside with the patch already available...

...But if you guys want separate patches, I can totally do that (I just feel lazy...)

cosmic-chaser-photo.png?w=553&h=

Now for you to get your flagship patch. FIRST:

Get a photo that shows your spacecraft wholey. Make sure it's as much of a square as possible. I will make it a square but a photo that the spacecraft takes the whole photo usually makes it a square impossible. So make sure the spacecraft is zoomed out. 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.