For Glory, For Victory

Selective Genius

FOR GLORY! FOR VICTORY!

A KSP Fanfiction

Prologue: A Big Splash

The low billowing of the ship’s horn disrupted the tranquility of that morning. It was not an uncommon site these days, with large cargo ships hauling thousands of tons of cargo every day through that particular sea route. What was uncommon, was that this was no cargo ship. It could barely even be classified as a large yacht. Moreover, it was veering off it’s route, ever so slightly.

“We are 20 nautical miles from the coast, captain.” A gruff voice woke up Elias Kerman, the captain of the luxury yacht ‘Virtual Insanity’. He had slogged off for a decade for Morteks’, one of the leading cargo ship companies in Kerbin before taking voluntary retirement and landing an easy gig.

“Ah, I see.” Elias cleaned his glasses. “I still don’t get it. Of all the places for a vacation, why would you guys choose this Kraken-forsaken island? There’s nothing but salty fish and saltier savages on here. I don’t recall any docks that can accommodate a yacht this big on this island either”

“It’s not a vacation, Captain, just a stop-over. We will hardly be here for a few days. And we wont need a dock. Just drop the anchor a few klicks off the coast.”

"Yeah but -"

"No buts. I believe you have the mental capacity to process an order by your superior."

"As you wish.." Elias decided not to probe further into the matter. It was none of his business anyways.

In the din of the party that commenced some time later, no one noticed two kerbs throwing a big bag into the clear waters of the sea. No one heard the splash the bag made as it bobbed on the surface of the sea and then sunk.

The kerbal was floating around in his consciousness. Drifting about in an endless void, with only his loneliness for company. This feels really nice, he thought. Maybe I should stay here forever.

“Don’t you ever give up!” A voice jolted him out of his stupor.

Wha-? Wait, I know this voice!!

“It’s just like you said, the world is a cruel place.”

Yes, yes it is! It is cruel, but-

“But it’s also beautiful, and we should strive to find the beauty in this wretched world.”

Yes, we will! But who-

“I am so sorry we have to go our own separate ways, but there’s no other option.”

Wait! Wait! Where are you going? Who are y-

“This is goodbye.”

No!! Stop, I like you! Don’t leave!

“Never give up. Don’t. You. Ever. Dare.”

I won’t! Just stay by my side!! JENNNAAA!!!!!

A loud bang finally shattered the flimsy peace of his consciousness as it was overshadowed by a rage so pure and unadulterated that it outshone Kerbol.

I won’t give up. I will fight. I WILL WIN!!

And thus with a new fire in his heart, the kerbal opened his eyes.

“Aight what up lads?” Aidos Kerman came out of the cabin of his fishing trawler. It has been a smooth season so far, and he had every reason to be happy. At this rate, they will finally have full meals to eat in the winters.

“Old Kerb, ya seeing dis? Look at da size of dem fish!” Lando, his first mate was attempting to lift a Ratfish about his size, but probably half his weight. “I am tellin ya, dis will be tasting yummy when salted!”

“Aye..” Aidos was about to congratulate them when one of his crew shouted. “OIIIIII!!! A big catch! A effing big CATCH!!”

And a big catch it was. The rusty old crane tasked to reeling in the nets were straining under the load of the fish this time.

“Dis be one of dem Green Shrimpheads? What ya think?” Lando was tensing up behind him.

‘And with good reason.’ Aidos thought. ‘A mighty and huge fish like the Shrimphead weighed the same as a Kerbal, but had a ferocious bite and could breathe on land for a while.’

“Aight lads, ready the harpoons, just in case. Lando, reel in the catch on my mark.”

The meager crew of four had their harpoons and crossbows ready and aimed, and at Aidos’ signal, Lando reeled in the net.

A wriggling body bag fell with a thump on the deck. The wriggling stopped as soon as it made contact with the hard surface.

“OIII!! A square FISH!!” Lando exclaimed “Dis be a new speeshiez?”

“Don’t be an idiot!” Aidos took out a knife and sliced the bag, revealing a bloodied and bruised kerbal inside. The kerbal was still breathing, thankfully.

“Oi Oi… is that the…”

“Yes, he might be. Comrades! We don’t speak a word about this to anyone! Is that clear??” Aidos ordered his kerbs.

“AYE AYE CAPTAIN!”

“He be okay, cap’n. He be just bruised, no big deal.”

“Maybe not to strong folks like us. But this kerb’s practically royalty, I doubt he knew what pain is..” Aidos dabbed a cotton swab in antiseptic and patted one of the unconscious kerb’s numerous wounds.

“Well now he be knowing..” Lando winced

“…….iwontgiveup…” the kerb muttered..

“Oh, he be getting up! Good! Ai Cap’n, how much you think he be worth in ransom money?”

“Lando, we are not kidnapping him.”

“..figh…will..”

Lando peered closer to the kerb’s face and patted his cheeks lightly. “Wake up already…”

“WIN!!!” The kerb opened his eyes and grabbed Lando’s wrist and squeezing it hard. Lando slipped out of the vice-like grip and scampered away, behind his cap’n.

“Mr. President, please calm down. We don’t mean you any harm!” Aidos lifted his hands in surrender and as a show of goodwill.

Mortimer Kerman glared at the both of them and promptly lost consciousness again.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.