Staging Question

SuperR08

Hey! Yes, yes, I know this is my second post for today, but today I got some good questions: this one is pretty straightforward: let’s say I fire up some boosters with some radial decouplers between the boosters and the main ship’s body. The boosters run out of fuel, however my next stage isn’t the decouplers, let’s say it’s a parachute. If I press space bar, will the parachute deploy (because the staging scheme is being followed), or will the booster’s radial decouplers deploy first because the boosters attached are out of fuel? The only reason I am asking this is because I have seen some youtubers do this and I was just wondering if it was some kind of bug, mod or secret setting I don’t know about. Thanks to all for reading!

Edited by SuperR08

12 minutes ago, RoninFrog said:

Parachute will definitely be the one deploying.  The staging does what the player tells it, not what it thinks makes sense.

Alright. But then, how did the youtubers do what I explained?

A post or two has been removed. If you think something is a problem, please report it and let the moderators deal with it. Telling others what they should or shouldn't do tends to make people angry. 

Sorry if I am asking the obvious or making assumptions, but a lot is not obvious if you are new to the game. Are you setting your staging in the VAB? When I first started I did not even realize I could do that.  If the answer is yes, and you already know how to do that and just want to give yourself options, then as @RoninFrog mentioned, tie the engine firing to an action group.  Trigger the engines that way instead of the spacebar. 

Decouplers will not detach because the boosters are out of fuel. They only detach when you tell them to, either via staging or an action group.  In fact, you can tie multiple actions to one action group, just as with staging.

• 1 month later...
On 5/4/2020 at 12:52 PM, Klapaucius said:

Sorry if I am asking the obvious or making assumptions, but a lot is not obvious if you are new to the game. Are you setting your staging in the VAB? When I first started I did not even realize I could do that.  If the answer is yes, and you already know how to do that and just want to give yourself options, then as @RoninFrog mentioned, tie the engine firing to an action group.  Trigger the engines that way instead of the spacebar. 

Decouplers will not detach because the boosters are out of fuel. They only detach when you tell them to, either via staging or an action group.  In fact, you can tie multiple actions to one action group, just as with staging.

Yeah, I was setting the staging in the VAB. But thanks for the help anyways!

I know pain, stress and pure joy borked up staging can bring.

Pain: mission goes sideways as the wrong staging moment dumps a vital part away.

Stress: well how do I save the mission?

Joy, Pure Joy: YAY saved it! Mission succeeds AND I learn a new technique? WHEE!! Not only can you adjust staging on the erm fly, but you can do that to action groups as well!

11 minutes ago, RealKerbal3x said:

Smart Parts?

That's it. I saw something about it in the BetterSRBs mod page but I couldn't find that earlier using a tablet- easy to do on PC using the link in CKAN. Haven't actually used Smart Parts myself so not sure how it works, but it exists.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.