Multiple monoliths on Kerbin?

Monoliths were not in the game when I quit playing way back when... Now I've found the black one just outside the spaceport... but it doesn't seem to do anything.

But...

Coming back from a high altitude "Test Temp at ____ above 19,000m" Mission, I spotted a small object way below me that cast a shadow.  I did not think anything about it at the time - but now I'm wondering if I found a second monolith.

Problem is; the "Roland's Knob" or whatever the place was called is now off my map, and I don't know where to go to look (I do have a 'general' idea, but its pretty far from the spaceport).

So: Is this shadow casting object likely to be another monolith - and should I try to go find it?

There are a few monoliths on each body in the Kerbin system. Use the KerbNet display in orbit (or SCANsat if installed) and look for a white ? icon. Set a waypoint there and fly to it.

59 minutes ago, Daniel Prates said:

Yeah besides, now you have the researcheable anomalies like the Baobab tree, maybe you saw a shadow of one.

I saw this - but did not understand what you were talking about... Until I completed my first orbit of this career.  Landed... and there were trees on the grassland near me!  Trees -- In KSP!

… funny thing, though; I tried to approach one - but it looked like it kept moving away (like a mirage).  Then I read that they are specular effects; making me think there's nothing to interact with.

I'm guessing the baobob is different?  It's something, that if you find, you can get the Kerbals to touch?

4 minutes ago, JoeSchmuckatelli said:

I'm guessing the baobob is different?  It's something, that if you find, you can get the Kerbals to touch

Yep. You have to use the new science arms to collect science from them. North of the KSC, across the bay, you will find several.

1 minute ago, Daniel Prates said:

Yep. You have to use the new science arms to collect science from them. North of the KSC, across the bay, you will find several.

Then that may, indeed, have been what I saw; the mission took me north.

-- Another random question, if you don't mind; is there a limit to how much Science the "Science Collector" can grab?

13 minutes ago, JoeSchmuckatelli said:

Then that may, indeed, have been what I saw; the mission took me north.

-- Another random question, if you don't mind; is there a limit to how much Science the "Science Collector" can grab?

Yes, there is a limit. They are science experiments, somewhat like the others. So there is a finite amount of sci points. There are also three arm sizes; only the larger one can get all of the science in one go. Tbh its more like an incentive/pretext for you to build rovers, as landing a craft with an arm, just next to an anomaly, can be hard (but doable).

The anomalies in kerbin are rather dull; however all bodies have anomalies and the rewards scale up accordingly.  Iirc you can also do EVA reports next to them.

PS: I have been calling them anomalies, but I think the correct name given to them by the devs is "features", to differ them from the non-scienceworthy things like the mohole, the saucers, the mun arches etc. Features render science, anomalies don't.

PS2: check this post I wrote a while ago, where I comment a dropable feature research walker with an arm:

Edited by Daniel Prates

17 minutes ago, Daniel Prates said:

Yes, there is a limit. They are science experiments, somewhat like the others. So there is a finite amount of sci points. There are also three arm sizes; only the larger one can get all of the science in one go. Tbh its more like an incentive/pretext for you to build rovers, as landing a craft with an arm, just next to an anomaly, can be hard (but doable).

The anomalies in kerbin are rather dull; however all bodies have anomalies and the rewards scale up accordingly.  Iirc you can also do EVA reports next to them.

PS: I have been calling them anomalies, but I think the correct name given to them by the devs is "features", to differ them from the non-scienceworthy things like the mohole, the saucers, the mun arches etc. Features render science, anomalies don't.

PS2: check this post I wrote a while ago, where I comment a dropable feature research walker with an arm:

Still grinning.  I LOLd at the animation of the critter crawler just under your post.  -- also major props on (well, I was calling it a C-130... but now I see it's only a 2-engine plane) the cargo plane drop.

I'm really looking forward to unlocking that stuff!

Oh - given the 'automation' available - is it now possible to put something like an OCTO on a dumped stage to have them parachute down and be recoverable, or does the old 'getting out of physics' range thing happen where dropped stages generally crash?

3 minutes ago, JoeSchmuckatelli said:

Oh - given the 'automation' available - is it now possible to put something like an OCTO on a dumped stage to have them parachute down and be recoverable, or does the old 'getting out of physics' range thing happen where dropped stages generally crash?

That is how I do it too, the droping rover has an unmanned command module and an antenna. And a source of EC. I set the chute to auto-deploy on release, fire and forget, and return to KSC and land. The pod will land and await you there. To avoid messy results I fly in circles above it until it lands.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.