Cant dock

When i try to rendevouz with a object in orbit around a body, as soon as i get 500m close to the object it just speeds up out of nowhere and when i fire up the engine on that ship nothing happens the craft just doesnt move and its impossible for me to dock to anything now and i think its a glitch.

First, make sure your navball is set to “target.” As you’re getting close, make sure you’re set to retrograde, and burn until the velocity is zero. Set craft toward “target” and burn; if you’re within 500 m, you don’t want to burn too hard, maybe to about 15-20 m/s, then switch back to retrograde. As you approach, watch your distance, and wait to burn retrograde... depending on a few variables, this may set you really close, and you’ll just burn retrograde (to 0 m/s), and park your craft right next to the target... if you’re not close, you need to repeat target burn then retrograde burn, until you close in... takes some practice, there are a few decent tutorials on the ksp wiki... also, if you’re docking, make sure you’re targeting the target ship docking port, and vice versa 

Edit: it seems like you’re already familiar with orbital rendezvous, so I skipped that part, but you should have the ship you want to dock to set as your target

Edited by Bingleberry

On 5/5/2020 at 9:45 PM, Bingleberry said:

First, make sure your navball is set to “target.” As you’re getting close, make sure you’re set to retrograde, and burn until the velocity is zero. Set craft toward “target” and burn; if you’re within 500 m, you don’t want to burn too hard, maybe to about 15-20 m/s, then switch back to retrograde. As you approach, watch your distance, and wait to burn retrograde... depending on a few variables, this may set you really close, and you’ll just burn retrograde (to 0 m/s), and park your craft right next to the target... if you’re not close, you need to repeat target burn then retrograde burn, until you close in... takes some practice, there are a few decent tutorials on the ksp wiki... also, if you’re docking, make sure you’re targeting the target ship docking port, and vice versa 

Edit: it seems like you’re already familiar with orbital rendezvous, so I skipped that part, but you should have the ship you want to dock to set as your target

Well i did that and i was close to it going 0.1m p/s but it just sped up out of nowhere and for some reason i cant move the ship that im trging to dock to even when i start the engine cause i know how to dock

Hmm... that definitely sounds like a glitch... I don’t think I can help with that... the only thing that happened to me that was similar was when I was doing a rendezvous with my duna orbiter, and lost all control when I switched to my “mothership”... I saved and reloaded, and it worked for me...

1 hour ago, Bingleberry said:

Hmm... that definitely sounds like a glitch... I don’t think I can help with that... the only thing that happened to me that was similar was when I was doing a rendezvous with my duna orbiter, and lost all control when I switched to my “mothership”... I saved and reloaded, and it worked for me...

Wait ill send u a link to a video i made.

After recently coming back to ksp. I was have g the same issue. I am very well versed at rendezvous and docking, so I immediately  realised it was a bug. So after searching the forums. I saw on another thread that others where having the same wierd phantom forces.

Turns out it's to do with time warp.

So now we need to stop timewarping before entering the physics bubble. (2km I think)

I personally haven't had any problems  after doing this. It just makes the final approach  a bit more tedious.

Physics range should be 2.5km in space (25km on the ground). Make sure you aren’t time warping as you cross over 2.5km but then you should be able to time warp after that until just before 200m. On Xbox, if the glitch a happens the target craft will speed away when you get closer than 200m. I save at about 500m so I can reload if this happens. It never happens after the reload at 500m. Since I stopped time warping over the 2.5km barrier it has only happened rarely.

So step-by-step:

1. Stop time warp before 2.5km and don’t time warp until after you are closer than 2.5km
  2. Save game around 500m out
  3. Stop time warp before you cross over 200m and don’t resume until you are sure the glitch didn’t happen
  4. Load your save at 500m if needed

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.