Mun landing

I got my jebadiah to the mun, but with not enough fuel to get back, so i sent a rescue mission. Everything is going fine, i landed like one crater away, but my problem is that whenever i get within like 1km from the rescue vessel, it tips over. Tried landing it somewhere else, tried reloading the game, but nothing helps. What do i do?

Oh man, I have *a lot* of experience with Mun Landers tipping over.  It's usually just as they touch the surface though.  Usually the problem has been my centre of gravity being too high, my landing site being too hilly, or both.

It sounds like your rescue vessel is beyond physics range of Jebediah, and it tips over once you enter that range.  You seem to say that your landing is successful, but going out of physics range and then back in may cause problems, especially if you have one of the two problems I listed above.  I suggest landing within 2200 m of Jeb and/or leaving SAS on while you're on the ground.

2 hours ago, MalneyKerman said:

Oh man, I have *a lot* of experience with Mun Landers tipping over.  It's usually just as they touch the surface though.  Usually the problem has been my centre of gravity being too high, my landing site being too hilly, or both.

It sounds like your rescue vessel is beyond physics range of Jebediah, and it tips over once you enter that range.  You seem to say that your landing is successful, but going out of physics range and then back in may cause problems, especially if you have one of the two problems I listed above.  I suggest landing within 2200 m of Jeb and/or leaving SAS on while you're on the ground.

Is there any way to cheat it? Like teleporting kerbal, or getting the tipped over vessel, back up?

2 hours ago, MalneyKerman said:

This.

WAY back when - when I was a regular player and landing on the Mun was easy-peasy, I ran into this all the time.  My solution was the short hop desperation rescue attempt - after you happily land nearby, you need to hop up again and get closer.  Don't try to land safe and flat and drive.  It's a recipe for disaster.

Also - If you stick the landing... you are a hero!

15 hours ago, czarniecki said:

Is there any way to cheat it? Like teleporting kerbal, or getting the tipped over vessel, back up?

Actually - I've done just this. 

-- there are a few ways:

> Reaction wheel tipping (sometimes need to get it rolling, first) - you must be ready to counter tip to get it to stop - or just launch 

> Slide launch (slow) up the side of a crater - yes, that is exactly what it sounds like: roll until you have the top of the lander pointed uphill and give it a little throttle until you are in space again.  If you can't roll... Puff the rocket and scoot along until you get pointed up any crater wall and then scoot

> Kerbal smash - running starts or EVA propelled Kerbal Astronaut Missile can work 

> Kerbal squeeze - just keep bumping and trying to go under the craft can also work. 

Please don't ask why I know this stuff - they're not proud moments of my early career 

2 hours ago, N4CDLAW said:

If you want to cheat your way around tipping, as long as you have SOME RCS or reaction wheels you can hack gravity to nil to correct orientation. Ctrl Alt F12 for the debug menu.

Where are these gravity options exactly?

14 hours ago, czarniecki said:

Try one more thing: I ran another mission to rescue my stuck Kerbal… only to discover the ship that I had left lying on its side in the dirt, had mysteriously righted itself.

In other words, the game may do you a proper.  Take your Kerbal EVA a ways from the ship - leave to the space center - do something else then go back to your Kerbal… the ship might just be on its landing gear

On 5/8/2020 at 9:18 PM, N4CDLAW said:

If you want to cheat your way around tipping, as long as you have SOME RCS or reaction wheels you can hack gravity to nil to correct orientation. Ctrl Alt F12 for the debug menu.

it's only alt+f12 btw, jsut sayin &)

On 5/9/2020 at 9:59 PM, Lanley Kerman said:

it's only alt+f12 btw, jsut sayin &)

Hm, could have sworn what you say used to be the case for me. Stepped away from KSP for a while and on return now I must hold ctrl as well. Steam or mod thing, maybe? Edit: got curious and looked into it, I need to use ctrl because I'm running a GeForce GPU and its native software co-opts the alt f12 function. 

On 5/8/2020 at 11:00 AM, czarniecki said:

In debug (however you get into it, Google if unsure), click 'cheats' on the left. At the top is a slider and a box marked "hack gravity". Check the box and run the slider to the left, you will be in almost zero G and should be able to wiggle the ship hard enough to bounce it off the ground and float off. Play with your ship a while, then when happy, uncheck "hack gravity" the box again to return to normal.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.