Audacity: Memoirs of a Kerbonaut

jimmymcgoochie

On 5/7/2020 at 6:33 PM, jimmymcgoochie said:

"Yes, Daddy." Tina played the Daddy’s Girl card, looking up with big, round eyes and slightly trembling lower lip

oh boy.

On 11/2/2020 at 1:28 PM, DAFATRONALDO2007 IN SPACE said:

I agree with @Mikenike. i like the story but you absolutely killed it with Adding Gay relationships. Jeb would've been the perfect guy. He has Badass traits like Valentina and they are BOTH pilots. im not here to politically correct people but SERIOUSLY, stop with the Gay relationships when it comes to stories. you know what, maybe i should make my OWN STORY. Yes... YES... this Kerbals' got a plan all right!

Question: whats wrong with gay people?

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/6/2020 at 2:52 PM, jimmymcgoochie said:

Do you think I'm writing cliffhanger endings to these chapters just for you to spoil it all? :sticktongue:

Hide contents

Also, yes- Tina does in fact become a Kerbonaut and goes to space the proper way. Not really a spoiler any more than saying that things go badly in the films Titanic, Apollo 13 and Deepwater Horizon as the clue is in the title.

Hide contents

How and when that happens, and what happens between now and then, however...

Hide contents

And yes, I am slightly restricted to keeping Tina alive by the title :rolleyes:

I knew it. And yes @jimmymcgoochie you are writing them to be spoiled by yours truly. 

On 11/6/2020 at 5:44 PM, Souptime said:

oh boy.

Nothing, I have nothing against them, they have their opinions, and I have mine. I am joking in those posts.

On 11/7/2020 at 6:31 PM, Gojira said:

Nah, it gets dead between chapters.

Because it takes the writer a month to write a chapter. I want it to speed up too.

1 hour ago, Mikenike said:

I want it to speed up too.

So do I! But it takes time for me to go from vague ideas to coherent chapters, plus I've been busy actually playing KSP rather than writing about it, plus a full time job in there as well as boring stuff like eating and sleeping...

I have the start of the next chapter mostly done, along with the ending (although that might become the end of the next chapter) but the middle bit will take a bit longer.

On 11/30/2020 at 10:54 AM, Mikenike said:

Nothing, I have nothing against them, they have their opinions, and I have mine. I am joking in those posts.

I know you are joking but @DAFATRONALDO2007 IN SPACE doesn't look like he was joking you know? like why complain about fictional characters in a game where most of the time you kill them by "accident"?

18 hours ago, Souptime said:

I know you are joking but @DAFATRONALDO2007 IN SPACE doesn't look like he was joking you know? like why complain about fictional characters in a game where most of the time you kill them by "accident"?

1. Im not complaining i was actually joking and although im not gay or anything, its his characters he does whatever he wants, so i dont mind. 

2.  I have yet to kill a kerbal or strand one. I ain't no cheap NASA, we go all the way for our kerbals and my death rate for kerbals (sandbox mode) still stands at zero. Now i dont know if you KILL kerbals but i dont. 

3. Jeb is a badass and needs a badass like Valentina!

On 11/6/2020 at 6:44 PM, Souptime said:

Answer: Nothing

On 5/7/2020 at 6:33 PM, jimmymcgoochie said:

The immortal footage of the great Jebediah Kerman stepping down onto the Munar surface accompanied the first half of that sentence; the latter was backdropped by a panoramic image from the Spirit of Discovery rover from Duna’s surface, Ike hanging low in the sky overhead.

Me: WOOOOOOOOOO HOOOOOOOO!!! LETS GO MY MAN

Me: Keeps making stupid enthusiastic noises

4 minutes ago, Mikenike said:

*Me* Stands here confused as too what this is about. @jimmymcgoochie its that time again, time to poke the sleeping author.

Me: trying to drive through an unfamiliar city full of labyrinthine streets, with a vague idea of where I’m going and how to get there, in heavy traffic, in heavy fog, in the dark, on the wrong side of the car, on the wrong side of the road, with nothing but a 1:50,000 scale road atlas to navigate with.

Everyone: arewethereyetarewethereyetarewethereyetarewethereyetarewethereyetarewethereyetarewethereyetarewethereyetarewethereyetarewethereyetarewethereyetarewethereyetarewethereyetarewethereyetarewethereyetarewethereyetarewethereyetarewethereyetarewethereyetarewethereyetarewethereyetarewethereyetarewethereyetarewethereyetarewethereyetarewethereyetarewethereyetarewethereyetarewethereyetarewethereyetarewethereyetarewethereyetarewethereyetarewethereyetarewethereyetarewethereyet...

If and when the next chapter is done, and I am happy with it, then- AND ONLY THEN- I will post it; if you don’t see a new chapter yet, it isn’t done yet. I’m doing this in my spare time and mostly for my own enjoyment, if and when the ideas come to me; random poking/pestering will not make that happen any faster.

26 minutes ago, Mikenike said:

*Me* Stands here confused as too what this is about. @jimmymcgoochie its that time again, time to poke the sleeping author.

Me: doesn't understand why other people don't get the point. Hey, i can't be attached to Jeb? he's like Neil armstrong!

And on top of all that, @jimmymcgoochiemissed out the part where the ‘road atlas‘ is actually an old-school map, of the correct planet if you’re lucky, with most of it filled in with cartographic art and ‘Here be Krakens’ labels.

I forget where this came from but someone described writing as an art where narrating an epic battle can take hours but describing how a single character walks across a room can take days.

I can’t speak for our good author but that certainly resonates with my experience. The big set pieces - the cliffhangers, the derring-do, the epic launches, the crazy flights that end up with you crashing through the VAB roof - those parts are comparatively easy because they’ve been sitting in your head waiting to get out. 

The stuff in between that ties all the set pieces into an actual story with depth and heft and characters you care about - that’s  a whole lot  harder.

Edited by KSK

21 hours ago, jimmymcgoochie said:

If and when the next chapter is done, and I am happy with it, then- AND ONLY THEN- I will post it; if you don’t see a new chapter yet, it isn’t done yet. I’m doing this in my spare time and mostly for my own enjoyment, if and when the ideas come to me; random poking/pestering will not make that happen any faster.

just take all the time you need :) as you say: It´s a freetime project and i think it is a brilliant one.... because you can write very well and because you took all the time it needs to find the right words. Writing is one of the things that aren´t done good if they are just done fast.

Please keep up your good way :) I will happily read your next chapter when you have it ready. It doesn´t matter to me if it takes 2 days or 2 months.

Edited by JoeSheridan

This is really interesting! Can I get the chapters and make it into one PDF for personal use? I'll definitely reference you as the author (Who wouldn't?! You are a phenomenal writer!)

P.S @jimmymcgoochie, keep up the amazing work! This is by far one of, if not the, greatest stories I have ever read!

• 5 weeks later...

A little update, with some good news and bad news:

Good news- I made some good progress on a chapter over the last few days.

Bad news- it isn't the next chapter. Or even particularly soon in the story line. That's how writing works, I guess, but the ideas I've had for the next few chapters just aren't coming together and show some similarities with real life events that I'd rather avoid, no sense opening that can shipping container of worms. The nitty-gritty character interactions are the biggest obstacle right now, closely followed by making the next few chapters connect together properly with each other and the rest of the story.

On the other hand, I just had a new idea that ties in quite well with something I thought of for much later in the story, and which also links in quite nicely with stuff I've already written. Had it not taken this long I would probably have either not thought of it at all, or had to do some hacky retro-editing to fit it in.

11 hours ago, jimmymcgoochie said:

A little update, with some good news and bad news:

Good news- I made some good progress on a chapter over the last few days.

Bad news- it isn't the next chapter. Or even particularly soon in the story line. That's how writing works, I guess, but the ideas I've had for the next few chapters just aren't coming together and show some similarities with real life events that I'd rather avoid, no sense opening that can shipping container of worms. The nitty-gritty character interactions are the biggest obstacle right now, closely followed by making the next few chapters connect together properly with each other and the rest of the story.

On the other hand, I just had a new idea that ties in quite well with something I thought of for much later in the story, and which also links in quite nicely with stuff I've already written. Had it not taken this long I would probably have either not thought of it at all, or had to do some hacky retro-editing to fit it in.

Honestly, it doesn't really matter how long it takes to write a chapter(s). What really matters is the continuation of the quality and effort you have put in to your previous chapters so far.

11 hours ago, jimmymcgoochie said:

it isn't the next chapter. Or even particularly soon in the story line.

How far away is it from the story line right now?

45 minutes ago, AeroSky said:

How far away is it from the story line right now?

Well, it comes after [REDACTED] which is right after [CLASSIFIED] happens, which follows on from [SPOILERS] that continues the [XXXXXXXX] between [:sealed:] and [TOP SECRET], which links back to the [403 FORBIDDEN] which in turn is directly related to what’s going to happen in the next chapters. Hope that clears it up :sticktongue:

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.