[WIP][1.8.x-1.12.x] Singularity - black hole shaders

blackrack

Singularity

Singularity is a KSP mod aimed at adding black hole shaders, including gravitational lensing and accretion disk, for use with planet packs and custom systems. The mod does nothing by itself and needs to be configured.

Other possible uses include wormholes, stars with gravitational lensing, “white holes” ( a sort of black hole with negative gravity, pushing away light).

m2E9B7JZHk2a0lHdi03oMTm4xjL-bOID1huWsZ8DMzkMgu38uWRyPfJpZJaNBDQ5QED9dbxum31n0ML50ok714jOwZe5FmJiDjLoYmb5-Ujxt5AmoXkUQx83EBXq_Ganq8ALTaym

1CC6pkG-Kkhbd_ysKj61JE7MlbpEgzYlVpCX_95ptMqpiN5lQS-DG-SKpgvTWPQBWMVmQObvMdaFC9leSEQiWx6nI8bqAB6IAQLm4xSMO6l5KR-dkqtA2TePYhtmNqqsoNMv6nrf

Mini-trailer:

Showcase video: by Vulkan

Accretion disk featured is from @GrandProtectorDark's mod event horizon

Documentation:

Available on the github wiki

https://github.com/LGhassen/Singularity/wiki

or in the .pdf file bundled with the download

Changelogs:

***********0.991***********
- Multiple singularities will have their lensing effects stack instead of conflict, should add a small performance overhead. New config variable "lensingStacking" is added to enable or disable stacking (enabled by default).
- Fixed singularities rendering from very large distances (where they should be invisible) if you look in their direction, hurting performance (most noticeable in GU). Singularities will now auto-disable rendering cubemaps when they are smaller than 1 pixel on-screen.
- Fixed some weird dimming issues when looking at multiple singularities
- Fixed some issues with displaying weird orbit lines when singularities pass through eclipses
- Fixed noticeable discrepancy in color of objects when they go off-screen but you can see them in the lensing effect
- Added an option to disable depth writing per singularity ("depthWrite= False"), lets transparent objects render on top of singularity and not be "cut off" by the enclosingMesh. Use for Pulsars/Jets centered on the singularity. May have issues with other transparencies around like atmospheres, so use where no atmospheres will be visible behind a singularity.
- dds support for accretion disk textures (DXT1 and DXT5)
- fix cut off accretionDisk with scaleEnglosingMesh = 5 (recommend not using bigger accretion disks for now)

***********0.9***********
Initial release:
-Black hole shader with optional accretion disk
-Black holes can be connected to create pseudo-wormholes (visual effect only)

I do this for free in my spare time, if you like what I do you can support me here:

Paypal:

hOMpXM5.gif

Download link(KSP 1.8.*-1.12.*):

https://spacedock.info/mod/2420/Singularity

Alternate: https://github.com/LGhassen/Singularity/releases

Source:

https://github.com/LGhassen/Singularity

License:

MIT license

Edited by blackrack

1 hour ago, T.Lago said:

Amazing.  Beautiful.

Can one orbit it?  Does it activate mandatory time warp because outside its influence time is moving more rapidly?

This is only the visual effects, no time dilation or anything. It adds the shader to a celestial body of your choice (stock or kopernicus), so you can orbit it.

Hello, author. First of all thank you for bringing this mod.

I have a question.

After I put the file in the GameData folder, there is no visual change after opening the game. What is the reason? Is it because other mods are needed?

Thanks.

16 minutes ago, DY_ZBX said:

Hello, author. First of all thank you for bringing this mod.

I have a question.

After I put the file in the GameData folder, there is no visual change after opening the game. What is the reason? Is it because other mods are needed?

Thanks.

The mod does nothing by itself as it needs to be configured. It includes visual effects for use with custom planet packs or systems, the goal is not to turn the stock system into gargantua.

8 minutes ago, blackrack said:

The mod does nothing by itself as it needs to be configured. It includes visual effects for use with custom planet packs or systems, the goal is not to turn the stock system into gargantua.

Thank you.I've learned.

3 hours ago, nubeees said:

Do these effects necessarily need to be attached to on-rails planetary objects? I'd be interested in seeing some warp bubble lensing effects in the alcubierre drive mods

Idk about these mods, but if someone wants to adapt it for them they can

Edited by blackrack

@blackrack This is an amazing mod! I like how you apply the shader effects to celestial bodies. This is kind of an odd question, but can it be applied to parts? If so, I have an expansion to Kerbal Komets in mind that spawns pairs of wormholes randomly. This would also be great for forming artificial wormholes in my Blueshift: Kerbal FTL mod that's in planning. Thanks again! :)

3 minutes ago, Angel-125 said:

@blackrack This is an amazing mod! I like how you apply the shader effects to celestial bodies. This is kind of an odd question, but can it be applied to parts? If so, I have an expansion to Kerbal Komets in mind that spawns pairs of wormholes randomly. This would also be great for forming artificial wormholes in my Blueshift: Kerbal FTL mod that's in planning. Thanks again! :)

It can't be applied to parts right now (this was not the aim of this mod), however it's pretty straightforward to modify it to do that.

1 hour ago, blackrack said:

It can't be applied to parts right now (this was not the aim of this mod), however it's pretty straightforward to modify it to do that.

Understood. Well, if you get the time and inclination, a part shader would be great. Thanks again!

1 hour ago, Angel-125 said:

Understood. Well, if you get the time and inclination, a part shader would be great. Thanks again!

Wouldn't that require a different looking effect from blackholes though? I feel like you just want distorsion, but not necessarily a black hole.

Edited: oh nevermind I misread, you want wormholes.

Edited by blackrack

On 5/17/2020 at 7:43 PM, ijustgothere said:

Hey I'm kinda new to modding and need help figuring out how to get the accretion disc to work. Shaders can be any old .jpg or .png right?

I haven't tested with .jpg but the unity documentation says it should work. I know that .png works.

16 hours ago, XxLedvin25xX said:

You are the best, I am updating KG3 and this was just what was needed, I had been looking for it for a long time and I could not find who could do it. Thank you!

I demand to see the results ;) 

• 3 weeks later...