Places You've Been  

52 members have voted

1. 1. Where have you been?

• Never made orbit
    • Have only been to the Mun
    • Have only been to Minmus
    • Have been to both Mun and Minmus
    • Have left Kerbin SOI

After recently reading a post on the forums (forgot where), that said at a convention, only 1 in 20 players had ever left Kerbin SOI, so I got curious. I'm a relatively new player, so I've only been to the Mun so far, but surely most of you have left Kerbin SOI, right? Anyway, some background information would be nice after you answered the poll.

1 hour ago, Misguided_Kerbal said:

only 1 in 20 players had ever left Kerbin SOI

I've seen similar statistics before too.  I'm pretty sure you'll find the active members on the forum are much more likely to have been everywhere than the "average" KSP player. 

As far as where I've been, everywhere in stock plus Sarnus & all of it's moons with probes in the Outer Planets Mod planet pack.  I also had probes going to the other 3 OPM planets, but started a new save before they arrived.   That was back in version 1.3.1, and I traded improved graphics mods for the OPM pack, so I haven't been back to it.  Most of the time, I start getting bored with my career once I have a Laythe base established & a few crews have rotated through.

I recently started tinkering with the JNSQ planet pack, but have only been to Mun & Minmus in it so far.

I made it as far as a full crewed expedition to Duna in the stock solar system, with a load of probes on their way to the OPM outer planets plus a jet and hovercraft on Laythe and an electric plane on Eve, but the mod count was so high the performance tanked- 1/5 speed for a 2 hour burn was horrific. It's still there but I don't play it any more, waiting 50 game years for some probes to get to Neidon isn't really worth the effort.

I'm currently doing a career in JNSQ and have another crewed expedition to Duna waiting for a return window. I threw some rovers at Duna first to get most of the science before sending them all to the crew landing sites for some scientists to pick up, plus a big mining rig that landed on Ike to refuel and even a relay that landed on Ike so it was always pointed down at Duna. I'm currently building a new and improved expedition ship which runs on VASIMR engines powered by nuclear reactors and will be doing visits to Jool and its moons while the first one, which uses a nuclear rocket engine, will be going to Eve next as it relies on solar panels for power. Running two ships that size will require a lot more crew though...

3 hours ago, Cazzojake said:

I've been out of the Kerbin SOI but I've never landed on another planet other than the Mun and Minimus, I'm not sure why I haven't either.

I've landed a probe on Duna, and orbited Eve.

Everything else I've done has been in Kerbin local space.

If you feel up to it, I suggest trying to leave Sol's orbit.

I recommend using mods that add other planet systems (Kopernicus and such) to give a bit of a motive to it.

It also makes it considerably more challenging and therefore fun and a great time killer. 

I have landed probes on all (solid) bodies.

Planted flags at all the anomalies and black monoliths, and returned the crew from them all (except for the 'Mohole', pilot error on lift off meant he had to bale out and, through sheer bad luck, ended up falling into the 'hole' to his ultimate demise).

My current 'main save' has survey and relay probes in orbit around most bodies, in preparation for crewed missions.

I've sent missions to all of the planets, but I've only sent manned ones to Gilly, Duna, Ike, Dres, Eeloo, and the Jool System (not any of the moons though). I have only returned from Gilly, Duna, Ike, and Dres. Moho was one of the last planets I got to, but I've only done a total of 3 missions there.

I've only recently taken my first steps out of Kerbin's SOI, following the 'Milestone' contracts, I've done a flyby, and more recently, an orbit of Eve.

My most ambitious mission to date was to put a rover on Duna, which was successful. Still no footprints on another planet though.

I've just completed what is likely to be the last landing of a Kerbal on Minmus. I've landed a Kerbal eighteen times on another celestial body: Ten on the Mun and eight on Minmus - and I think we know almost as much as we're ever going to know about Kerbin's moons.

But now the contracts are telling me to get a Kerbal into an orbit around Eve... they want a spacewalk photo with the purple planet in the background, for some reason.

I have been to every planet and moon in stock KSP. If memory serves I have put a kerbal onto every rocky planet with the exception of Eve. Been playing since version 0.21 and I have not yet landed a kerbal there. Sent a fair share of various probes and robotic landers there, but have yet to actually land a kerbal lol. That said, yup, left Kerbins SOI and once even left Kerbol's SOI with a kerbal. Was a test save seeing how fast I could make a ship go. Poor guy would still be goin if I had that save file still. Though, I find most my ops lately since my return tend to be no further out than the mun's orbit. Ya I have a few things out at Duna satellite wise, but, no kerbal in my new save on my new pc has gone further than Mun. My fav places to have visited are Dres and Eeloo. Fun times!

On 5/9/2020 at 7:10 AM, Dafni said:

Jool?

Kerbol (the sun)?

:sticktongue::sticktongue:

I actually landed Jeb on Jool back then it had an surface and got him out again. 
Yes I needed airship and a KIS winch to lower him to the surface. He bounced around and was not able to plant a flag. 
Submitted an bug report on the flag issue and next KSP version did not have an surface. Now the planet is transparent then you get close to the zero attitude. 

Landed on every body in the stock System apart from Jool, Eeloo and Moho. Manned I've built a Mun-Minmus Duna frontier economy with manned missions to the Jool system. Landed manned on Vall, Bop and Pol. Planning an unmanned Eve return, an unmanned Eeloo landing and possibly a Laythe/Tylo manned mission. Once they're done I'll be installing OPM... 

Edited by SiriusRocketry
Auto bloody correct

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.