[1.8.x, 1.9.x] Kerbal Krash System BETA

Originally written by @EnzoMeertens, it hasn't been updated in over a year, and he hasn't been around since November.  Original thread here:https://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/129410-170-kerbal-krash-system-047-2018-04-26/&tab=comments#comment-2350914

Kerbal Krash System

DESCRIPTION:

Kerbal Krash System rewrites collisions in Kerbal Space Program. KKS deforms your creations and reduces the efficiency of your crafts instead of just exploding on impact:

• Damage occur on impacting anything (oceans, buildings, parts, kerbals, ground, ...) at speeds exceeding the part's original crash tolerance limits:
    • Crash tolerances are scaled by (configurable) factors, this allows parts to be damaged instead of exploding on exceeding the original crash tolerance.
    • Parts impacting at speeds above the scaled crash tolerance explode as normal.
  • Damaged engines overheat more quickly,
  • Damaged containers leak, including leaking effects,
  • Damaged command pods will have malfunctioning crew hatches,
  • Science modules become inoperable when damaged and need both engineers as well as scientists to be fully restored,
  • Damaged parts can be repaired using Engineers:
    • Lower level engineers are able to repair once every 55 seconds (lowered by ten seconds per experience level),
    • Higher level engineers are able to repair more often (up to once every five seconds).
  • Future update: KIS support: use "attachment tools" like the screwdriver or wrench to repair, instead of bare hands (or whatever Kerbals have... 'kands'?).

KKS scales crash tolerances such that parts don't explode on impact, but rather get damaged when they collide.

This mod should be easy to incorporate into other mods, e.g. TAC Life Support can access the damage percentage of command pods to drain oxygen.

Kerbal Krash System

btn_donate_LG.gif

DESCRIPTION:

Kerbal Krash System rewrites collisions in Kerbal Space Program. KKS deforms your creations and reduces the efficiency of your crafts instead of just exploding on impact:

• Damage occur on impacting anything (oceans, buildings, parts, kerbals, ground, ...) at speeds exceeding the part's original crash tolerance limits:
    • Crash tolerances are scaled by (configurable) factors, this allows parts to be damaged instead of exploding on exceeding the original crash tolerance.
    • Parts impacting at speeds above the scaled crash tolerance explode as normal.
  • Damaged engines overheat more quickly,
  • Damaged containers leak, including leaking effects,
  • Damaged command pods will have malfunctioning crew hatches,
  • Science modules become inoperable when damaged and need both engineers as well as scientists to be fully restored,
  • Damaged parts can be repaired using Engineers:
    • Lower level engineers are able to repair once every 55 seconds (lowered by ten seconds per experience level),
    • Higher level engineers are able to repair more often (up to once every five seconds).
  • Future update: KIS support: use "attachment tools" like the screwdriver or wrench to repair, instead of bare hands (or whatever Kerbals have... 'kands'?).

KKS scales crash tolerances such that parts don't explode on impact, but rather get damaged when they collide.

This mod should be easy to incorporate into other mods, e.g. TAC Life Support can access the damage percentage of command pods to drain oxygen.

Availability

INSTALLATION: 

Simply unpack into your Kerbal Space Program folder.

FAQ:

• My damage goes above 100%, why?
    • My idea about damage is equal to Nintendo's Super Smash Brothers: A high damage percentage only indicates you're about to get destroyed sooner.
  • Is this mod compatible with DangIt, CollisionFX and such?
    • It should be.
    • DangIt can be easily modified to incorporate damage into random failure.
  • Why don't you work on the highest priority first?
    • Because I don't want to get stuck and bored.
  • Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
    • Probably.

For all @EnzoMeertens and I are discussing the future of this mod.  Its his mod, so the ultimate choice is his.
For now, 5e beta is available, but the final future is yet to be decided.

I have the utmost respect for him, the mod is amazing and he can do things with it that I can only dream about

• 1 month later...

Is this not compatible with FAR? When i have this installed, often when i crash planes with this and FAR installed some pieces seem to i think clip into other pieces and continously push on them, making the plane just keep like twisting or twirling around with no way to stop it. 

4 hours ago, Clamp-o-Tron said:

Cool! Can engineer repair time be configured?

EDIT: nvm github has a .cfg file

EDIT AGAIN: nvm the nvm that's an mm patch. Can @linuxgurugamer un-hardcode it in a future release?

No, this is @EnzoMeertens mod, and he wants to keep it.  

2 hours ago, NoahGoldFox said:

Is this not compatible with FAR? When i have this installed, often when i crash planes with this and FAR installed some pieces seem to i think clip into other pieces and continously push on them, making the plane just keep like twisting or twirling around with no way to stop it. 

Well, that sounds reasonable,  i mean, if you damage a plane, then the flight characteristics get changed. 

6 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Well, that sounds reasonable,  i mean, if you damage a plane, then the flight characteristics get changed. 

I mean the plane flies around like a glitch, not like how normal planes fly. Maybe its not FAR and is something else, since the aerodynamic overlay doesnt show anything odd. 

1 hour ago, NoahGoldFox said:

I mean the plane flies around like a glitch, not like how normal planes fly. Maybe its not FAR and is something else, since the aerodynamic overlay doesnt show anything odd. 

If you damage a real airplane's wing, it doesn't fly well.  I know this from personal experience

17 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

If you damage a real airplane's wing, it doesn't fly well.  I know this from personal experience

I think he is referring to an other "bug"
After a rough landing, sometimes the whole frame is twisted and somehow it induce phantom forces which cause the craft (which should normally be still) to move or spin.
Didn't play recently however so I can't provide exact steps to reproduce.

4 hours ago, Falco01 said:

I think he is referring to an other "bug"
After a rough landing, sometimes the whole frame is twisted and somehow it induce phantom forces which cause the craft (which should normally be still) to move or spin.
Didn't play recently however so I can't provide exact steps to reproduce.

Well, if the wing is twisted, then it definitely won't fly well.  He should have an engineer try to repair it before taking off

On 6/17/2020 at 8:26 PM, linuxgurugamer said:

Well, if the wing is twisted, then it definitely won't fly well.  He should have an engineer try to repair it before taking off

Obviously, from having done mid air collisions while testing BDa, I can assure you that part worked as intended. Wing tip bent required trim to fly somewhat straight.

In this case however, the craft was landed after a rough landing (if you can call it that way) . Without throttle or any input, it is therefore supposed to stay still, on the ground which it did not.
The plane started moving around at low speed as if some force were applied to it despite the engines being offline
There were still landing gears present though and they were bent out of alignment. Perhaps the twisted gear caused the phantom forces ?
This also happened upon spawning an aircraft on the runway with some badly configured gears from airplane plus. The plane spawned too high and was bent upon "landing". Once again, it started moving on its own, engines not even started yet.

On 6/19/2020 at 8:21 AM, Falco01 said:

Obviously, from having done mid air collisions while testing BDa, I can assure you that part worked as intended. Wing tip bent required trim to fly somewhat straight.

In this case however, the craft was landed after a rough landing (if you can call it that way) . Without throttle or any input, it is therefore supposed to stay still, on the ground which it did not.
The plane started moving around at low speed as if some force were applied to it despite the engines being offline
There were still landing gears present though and they were bent out of alignment. Perhaps the twisted gear caused the phantom forces ?
This also happened upon spawning an aircraft on the runway with some badly configured gears from airplane plus. The plane spawned too high and was bent upon "landing". Once again, it started moving on its own, engines not even started yet.

Exactly this. That is the problem iv been having.

On 6/16/2020 at 9:43 AM, Clamp-o-Tron said:

Cool! Can engineer repair time be configured?

EDIT: nvm github has a .cfg file

EDIT AGAIN: nvm the nvm that's an mm patch. Can @linuxgurugamer un-hardcode it in a future release?

This is configurable via ModuleManager.

In the KerbalKrashSystem_Repair.cfg there are currently no parameters configured. By changing the contents of the file to the following, it can be configured:

@PART[*]:HAS[@MODULE[ModuleKerbalKrash*]]:AFTER[KerbalKrashSystem]
{
    MODULE
    {
        name = ModuleKerbalKrashSystem_Repair

_maximumRepairDelay = 55.0
        _experienceLevelScaling = 10.0
    }
}

"_maximumRepairDelay" is the repair delay in seconds.

"_experienceLevelScaling" is multiplied by the Kerbal's experience level and subtracted from the _maximumRepairDelay to reduce the delay on higher levels.

E.g. 55.0 seconds - (level 4 * 10.0 scaling) = 15.0 seconds of repair delay.

• 1 year later...
On 6/19/2020 at 9:21 AM, Falco01 said:

I've noticed this behavior in a few crashes as well, its almost like the parts no longer have friction, or as mentioned, there is a force not constantly acting on them. Is seems to happen most often on particularly hard impacts, like a miscalculated powered landing from orbit, the craft wont be particularly deformed, but it will spin wherever it lands.  I've had instances where a craft broke up on impact, but there will be one part that just wont stop moving, it just rolls or spins on the ground forever.   If its a whole craft, that I need to stop spinning so I can recover it, what has worked is hitting it with the object thrower.

@linuxgurugamer I looked at the config files, I noticed there is one labeled Other.  My question is, do landing gear fall under this, and if so, could modifying that perhaps exclude landing gear? From @EnzoMeertens comment, its possible that its gear related, then I could do a little testing and see if that's the case.