[1.12.x] WalkAbout

Written by @Antipodes, life took over and he couldn't continue.  Original thread is here: https://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/130575-13-walkabout-v171-17-07-2017/

The WalkAbout mod allows you to take an available kerbal from the Astronaut Complex and have him/her placed outside any door at the KSC (see Placement, see note 6).
It also allows you to move your kerbal around without having to hold down the W-A-S-D keys (see Perpetual Motion below).

Availability

Dependencies

Placement:

You can activate WalkAbout from the Space Centre scene by pressing ctrl-W. The WalkAbout seclections screen will appear.

rNElWa3.png

1 - List of available kerbals.

• any kerbal currently not assigned to a craft or on EVA will appear in this list.  Simply click on a kerbal to select that one.

2 - Facilities

•  a list of the KSC facilities with locations for placing kerbals.  Click on one of these to restrict the list of Locations (see below) to only those locations associated with the facility.

3 - Locations

• - list of all locations where a kerbal may be placed. Or, if a facility has been selected, a list of all locations associated with that facility.  See notes 1, 2, 3 and 4.

4 - Action Button

• - when the button text is green, click it to send your kerbal on WalkAbout.

5 - Top 5 Button

• - Restricts the locations shown to only the top 5 most commonly selected locations.  See notes 3, 4 and 5.

For players who use the Kerbal Inventory System mod:

LthL6Ll.png

WJ2nZpb.png

6 - Toggle Inventory Button (only appears if the Kerbal Inventory System mod is installed)

• - turns the inventory display on or off

7 - Kerbal's Inventory

• - lists all items in the selected kerbal's inventory.

8 - Available Items

• - list all items that can be added to the kerbal's inventory.
Spoiler

Note 1
Locations are recorded in the .loc files.  Each location corresponds to a position just outside of one of the doors found on the outside of the buildings of the KSC.  
I have tried to catalogue every door available at each of the 3 levels of upgrade for all of the buildings, but as you may imagine, it would be easy for me to miss one (or two (or three (...)))).  If you notice any doors or exits that I have missed, please let me know on the forum page.

Note 2:
Since the individual buildings in KSP are not named, I tried to come up with a generic naming convention for the buildings and the locations.  Most location names are formatted as follows ff_bldg[_subsection]_[d]ls  where

• ff is an abbreviation of the facility name,
  • bldg is a name for the building
  • subsection may be a wing or a separate building name (eg ..._QuonsetF_...)
  • d is the direction the side of the building faces (N, S, E, W)
  • l is the floor #
  • s is the sequence letter for the door (A, B, C...).

So R+D_WindTunnel_BldgC_N1B is 2nd door on the first floor of the north side of Building C of the Wind Tunnel complex of the R&D facility.

Note 3:
When the selection screen first appears, all locations for all facilities are shown.  Use the Facilities selector and/or the Top 5 button to limit the number of locations shown.

Note 4:
Locations are shown in alphabetical order.  However, each time a location is used, it is moved up the list thereby keeping the most often used locations at the top of list.  

Note 5:
The Top 5 button is not limited to 5 entries.  The number of locations selected by this button can be set by altering the value for TopFew in the settings.cfg file.

Note 6:
Placing kerbals in locations where a portion of the building is above them has proven problematic. As a result locations for doors on all but the bottom and top levels of most stairwells have been omitted. This is also why kerbals are placed beyond any projecting awnings and eaves.

Perpetual Motion:

When a kerbal is on EVA, it is now possible to walk/swim or run without having to hold down the movement keys. To do this enter Perpetual Motion mode by pressing the activation key (single quote ['] - see note 1). Your kerbal should now start walking forward (see note 2).

•     The movement keys (W-A-S-D) will now change your kerbal's direction of movement. See note 2.
  •     The run key (left-shift) will act as a toggle, switching your kerbal's movement between walking and running.
  •     Time acceleration is limited to physics time-warp only (1x, 2x, 3x, 4x).
  •     Pressing the activation key again will take you out of Perpetual Motion mode.
Spoiler

Note 1:
    The activation key is configurable in the settings.cfg file.

Note 2:
    In Perpetual Motion mode the kerbal always moves forward (in the direction it is facing).

Note 3
    Direction change is relative to the camera. So pressing W turns the kerbal to same direction as camera is facing.

Edited by linuxgurugamer

6 minutes ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Actually needs testing.  One of the notes I saw was a problem with KIS, would be great if you could test and report back

Sorry, I don’t think I can. I have school, so even though I can check the forums, download mods and the such, I can’t actually play the game. I know, weird, but it is what it is. Sorry again:/

2 minutes ago, mabdi36 said:

Sorry, I don’t think I can. I have school, so even though I can check the forums, download mods and the such, I can’t actually play the game. I know, weird, but it is what it is. Sorry again:/

No problem,  Someone else may, or I might get some more time.  And then one day you may get some time as well.

• 2 weeks later...

So two questions...

Is this compatible with 1.9.1?

Does it have dependencies on your other mods?  I have click thru blocker and toolbar installed, and while this is showing in the log, I can't get it to run in the space center scene.  CTRL-W does nothing and no icon is showing up.  Clicking on the yellow toolbar manager wrench shows no options for it.  Am I doing something wrong?  I installed in the usual way, put the Walkabout folder in Gamedata… 

The only references in the logs are:

[LOG 23:08:19.805] Load(Assembly): WalkAbout/Plugins/WalkAbout
[LOG 23:08:19.805] AssemblyLoader: Loading assembly at C:\KSP_win64\GameData\WalkAbout\Plugins\WalkAbout.dll

It's listed in the mod folders section

In the mod dlls section:

WalkAbout v1.0.0.0

and again..

WalkAbout                               1.0.0.0                  1.0.0.0                                           dc2ce8d3476caf3add5025d6509f13aa26ae48ce28e88dc359e4ff702d2843ab

and that's it.  

Here's the list of my absurdly long mod collection:

Spoiler

Folders and files in GameData:
000_AT_Utils
000_ClickThroughBlocker
000_FilterExtensions
000_FilterExtensions_Configs
000_TexturesUnlimited
000_USITools
001_ToolbarControl
002_CommunityPartsTitles
AirplanePlus
ARPIcons
ASET
AviationLights
B9AnimationModules
B9PartSwitch
B9_Aerospace
B9_Aerospace_HX
B9_Aerospace_Legacy
B9_HX_Reconfig
BahaSP
BetterOrderPartsNumbered
BetterScienceLabsContinued
BonVoyage
Bumblebee
ChopShop
CommNetAntennasExtension
CommNetAntennasInfo
CommNetConstellation
CommunityCategoryKit
CommunityResourcePack
CommunityTechTree
ConfigurableContainers
ContractConfigurator
ContractPacks
CorrectCOL
CTN
CTTP
CustomPreLaunchChecks
DavonSupplyMod
DecouplerShroud
DeployableBatteries
DeployableEngines
DKSalvage
DMagicOrbitalScience
DMagicScienceAnimate
DynamicBatteryStorage
Eskandare_Heavy_Industries
EvaFollower
ExtraplanetaryLaunchpads
FieldTrainingFacility
FieldTrainingLab
Firespitter
ForScience
FShangarExtender
FTLDriveContinued
FuelTanksPlus
GroundConstruction
Hangar
HaystackContinued
HeatControl
HideEmptyTechTreeNodes
Impact
IndicatorLights
Interkosmos
InterstellarFuelSwitch
JSI
JX2Antenna
KAS
KAX
KEI
KerbalFoundries
KerbalJointReinforcement
KerbalKonstructs
KerbalOccupationColors
KerbalRenamer
KerbetrotterLtd
KerbinSide
KerbNetController
KIS
KramaxAutoPilot
KSP-AVC
KSPCasher
KspCraftOrganizer
KSPWheel
KWRocketry
LETech
MagicSmokeIndustries
MarkIVSystem
MechJeb2
MemGraph
MinimalisticNationalFlags
MiningExpansion
Mk2Expansion
Mk3Expansion
MM configs
MoarFilterExtensionConfigs
ModPods
ModRocketSys
ModularFuelTanks
ModuleAnimateGenericEffects
NearFutureAeronautics
NearFutureConstruction
NearFutureElectrical
NearFutureExploration
NearFutureLaunchVehicles
NearFutureProps
NearFuturePropulsion
NearFutureSolar
NearFutureSpacecraft
NEBULA
Nereid
NotSoSimpleConstruction
OrbitalColony
PersistentRotation
PhotonSail
PlanetaryBaseInc
QuizTechAeroContinued
RemoteTechRedev
RocketEmporium
SCANsat
SimpleConstruction
SmartParts
SmokeScreen
SOS
SpaceTuxSA
SpaceY-Expanded
SpaceY-Lifters
Stock folder: Squad

Stock folder: SquadExpansion

StageRecovery
StationPartsExpansion
StationPartsExpansionRedux
STMRibbons
StructuralDisks
TacSelfDestruct
TarsierSpaceTech
TDProps
TextureReplacer
ThrottleControlledAvionics
TriggerTech
TweakScale
UmbraSpaceIndustries
United States Flag Pack v2
UniversalStorage
UniversalStorage2
UnKerballedStart
WalkAbout
WarpPlugin
WaypointManager
WildBlueIndustries
Workshop
WorldStabilizer
ZeroMiniAVC
zFinal_FilterExtensions
999_Scale_Redist.dll
FinalFrontier.dat
KSPModFileLocalizer.dll
ModuleManager.4.1.3.dll
ModuleManager.Physics
ModuleManager.TechTree
WBIPlayMode.cfg

Any ideas?

Edited by MaxPeck

On 5/19/2020 at 11:41 PM, MaxPeck said:

Is this compatible with 1.9.1?

Yes

Does it have dependencies on your other mods?  I have click thru blocker and toolbar installed, and while this is showing in the log, I can't get it to run in the space center scene.  CTRL-W does nothing and no icon is showing up.  Clicking on the yellow toolbar manager wrench shows no options for it.  Am I doing something wrong?  I installed in the usual way, put the Walkabout folder in Gamedata… 

Yes, you have them installed

[LOG 23:08:19.805] Load(Assembly): WalkAbout/Plugins/WalkAbout
[LOG 23:08:19.805] AssemblyLoader: Loading assembly at C:\KSP_win64\GameData\WalkAbout\Plugins\WalkAbout.dll

You installed the wrong version.  This is a BETA, and is only available from the location specified in the OP:  https://github.com/linuxgurugamer/WalkAbout/releases

I'm having the same problem as MaxPeck - ctrl-W does nothing. Re-downloaded from thee OP link just to be sure I had the correct version (double checked the file time stamp to make sure it was the one I just downloaded). Running KSP 1.9.1 on Windows 10, Walkabout, ClickThroughBlocker and ToolbarControler are the only mods on a fresh install. The log is listing the Walkabout version as 1.0.0.0

Environment Info
Win32NT 7FFFFFFFFFFFFFFF  Args: KSP_x64.exe 

Mod DLLs found:
Stock assembly: Assembly-CSharp v0.0.0.0
MiniAVC v1.4.1.1
ClickThroughBlocker v0.1.9.5 / v1.0.0.0
ToolbarControl v0.1.9.4 / v1.0.0.0
WalkAbout v1.0.0.0

Folders and files in GameData:
000_ClickThroughBlocker
001_ToolbarControl
Stock folder: Squad

WalkAbout

On 5/24/2020 at 6:50 PM, wasml said:

I'm having the same problem as MaxPeck - ctrl-W does nothing. Re-downloaded from thee OP link just to be sure I had the correct version (double checked the file time stamp to make sure it was the one I just downloaded). Running KSP 1.9.1 on Windows 10, Walkabout, ClickThroughBlocker and ToolbarControler are the only mods on a fresh install. The log is listing the Walkabout version as 1.0.0.0

Ctrl-w is not a thing anymore.

If you aren't seeing the button in the Space Center, then something is wrong and I'll need to see the entire log file.  But I can say that you are not running the BETA based on that snippit you posted.

Again, the beta is only available here:  Download: https://github.com/linuxgurugamer/WalkAbout/releases - BETA

NOT THROUGH CKAN

Did you bother to read my reply to @MaxPeck?  Which, according to him, solved his problem

Edited by linuxgurugamer

I did read Max's post - and made sure I went to the GitHub site (I've never bothered with CKAN) and downloaded the file "WalkAbout-1.8.0-0.1.8.1.zip". Opening the zip I see under the dll properties the version is 1.0.0.0 - made me wonder if maybe the wrong dll got packaged?

Here's the log file:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/txw9hpmiwanz8rz/Player.zip?dl=0

On 5/26/2020 at 9:11 PM, wasml said:

I did read Max's post - and made sure I went to the GitHub site (I've never bothered with CKAN) and downloaded the file "WalkAbout-1.8.0-0.1.8.1.zip". Opening the zip I see under the dll properties the version is 1.0.0.0 - made me wonder if maybe the wrong dll got packaged?

Here's the log file:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/txw9hpmiwanz8rz/Player.zip?dl=0

Sorry, I’m just circling back to this after a few days; had end-of-semester stuff going on that kept me away from the game.

I had the same experience as wasml - I downloaded the latest BETA version from Github and I’m still showing 1.0.0.0 in my log and no joy on the icon in the space center.  If you find the time, I know you’re busy, you might want to check your package on github.  It’s probably something stupid on my end though, I’m sure.  An incompatibility somewhere in the mod list or something.  Whatever, just letting you know.

new release, out of Beta, 0.1.8.2

• Removed unnecessary lines from config file, replaced by stock Settings page
  • Fixed window resizing

• Fixed KIS integration
  • Fixed legs not moving after using Perpetual Motion

• Adoption by Linuxgurugamer
  • Updated for 1.8
  • Added Clickthroughblocker support
  • Added Toobarcontroller support 
  • Added toolbar code for main and add utility
  • Removed activation via hotkey for both windows, toolbar button is now used instead
  • Replaced non-functional GUI.Button with 
  • Fixed bug where changing to new vessel wouldn't enable/disable the mod (ie:  switching to a Kerbal from a vessel, mod stayed disabled)
  • Fixed exceptions when launching a vessel and then changing to another in the area
  • Added stock setting page

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

So I've updated to KSP 1.8.1 and tried just about every release of walkabout, but always had the same issue of no button showing up. I tried ctrl+W too, tried looking in options, launching a ship and coming back to space center, all to no avail. Here's a logfile using the latest walkabout on a pure stock 1.8.1 install: https://gofile.io/d/HZP6YO

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Too bad this doesn't work on 1.10.1. I used to use this to collect all the EVA science at KSC with Bob while waiting for KCT to finish building my 1st craft. Gave me a nice science boost for unlocking research nodes. As a bonus it didn't add to mission count for Kerbals as they were just going outside.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Dude. Awesome. You rock for taking up the reins here.

that being said, the toolbar button isn't showing up., same deal as kerbnub

Any chance you know of a mod that adds, for lack of a better term, a fuel spigot near the runway? I'm imagining some sort of docking port  that would allow you to refuel planes(from an inexhaustible fuel supply) and  would cost funds to pull from in a career save.  I guess my idea would be that you could land your spaceplane, refuel, recrew(with this mod) and take off again all without recovering or launching anything new.

Edited by Jumberlack

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.