[1.11.x] Phoenix Industries (v1.7) [18-DEC-2020] - Cargo ships, Deep Space solutions, EVA Suits, Boosters, and more!

-ctn-

14 hours ago, -ctn- said:

Not sure. I don’t see it wouldn’t be compatible with restock..?

I'm mistaken. I thought the handrails were added onto stock parts, but I now see that they are completely separate parts that I can place anywhere.

Edited by orangewarning

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 9/27/2020 at 2:00 AM, The Dressian Exploder said:

Is this mod being updated for 1.10? More specifically, would it be possible to use the suits with the stock suit changer?

Tested against 1.10.1. Some functionality may be limited if other mods aren’t updated yet.

I briefly looked into the suit changer thing and I don’t think there is a way to incorporate my suits into the stock suit changer. I think KSP still bundles the suits into their .asset packages. 

Edited by -ctn-

• 1 month later...

Just wanted to post and say there's a new update! 

After modding the config files for several of my favorite mods by @RoverDude and @Nertea for every update the past five years or so, I decided to finally just make my own parts the way I wanted them to work.

Version 1.5 of my Phoenix Industries mod, which I'm calling the Deep Space Update,  includes a simple reactor, ion engine, and xenon fuel tanks for all your interplanetary and deep space needs.

The xenon tanks are meant to look fairly stockalike, using the same type of crinkle normal map, color scheme, and general look as the stock tanks.

The ion engine is modeled after a real life Cubesat ion thruster, and was super fun to make. I've always heavily bumped the stats of ion engines in all of my installs, and so to some people this engine might feel pretty "cheaty." Feel free to edit the config as you please! As of this update, it generates 20kN of thrust and consumes (I think) somewhere around 15 or 16 EC/s. It's super unrealistically efficient but I love the bright blue colors of ion engines and would rather have an unrealistic engine in-game than wait 30 minutes every time I wanted to do a burn. :)

The reactor is another "cheaty" item. As of this update, it does nothing but look good and generate electricity for free! It's actually balanced so that I can run 9 of my ion engines at once. The visual style is inspired by the MCU's Iron Man. I wanted a cool design to build off of, and what better reactor design than a hand-wave, fictional nuclear reactor?! There's a looping emissive animation that makes the reactor sort of pulse, which is fun! Eventually I would like to add some type of heating element / management to it, but I was having some trouble figuring that out. For a later time, I guess.

Anyway, that's all for now! I guess I felt the need to explain the balancing of these new parts because I anticipate some moans and groans about them being overpowered. While that's true, I primarily make these mods as a hobby in my free time and to enhance my own playing! What I wanted was a cool interplanetary ship with a super simple reactor and cool looking ion engines! Obviously you can feel free to edit the configs to your own taste, and I'll consider adding alternate config files if there's a consensus among you guys about what would be 'properly' balanced.

Have fun!

Just when you think your mod list is complete for your current playthrough....

Jeb, Bill and Gene discover that KSC needs to hire  "just one more mod that I NEED!!!!!!  contractor"

"Handrails.  We forgot to pack handrails."  

"Hey great!  We also can get these other cool doodads too if we hire Phoenix Industries to build and supply the handrails we need."

"Ok... uh are we actually going to use them?  Bob is getting mad at all the spare parts cluttering up the R and D department."

"Who cares?!!  We can sell them to Roskosmos if we have to."

Hi, I just updated to version 1.5.1 of the mod.  When I loaded my previous save game, I get an error at the main menu indicate that some of the probes could not be loaded since it couldn't find phoenix dragon solar part.  When I compared my previous mod download file (version 1.3), I noticed that version 1.5.1 is missing several parts file.  Was this intended to remove the parts from the latest version?

1 hour ago, HawkEngineer said:

Hi, I just updated to version 1.5.1 of the mod.  When I loaded my previous save game, I get an error at the main menu indicate that some of the probes could not be loaded since it couldn't find phoenix dragon solar part.  When I compared my previous mod download file (version 1.3), I noticed that version 1.5.1 is missing several parts file.  Was this intended to remove the parts from the latest version?

Oh no! It was definitely not intended. I will have to take a look and see what I goofed up. I’m very sorry and thank you for bringing that to my attention. 

EDIT: I'm not quite sure how that happened but I'm repackaging it now to fix. Thanks, @HawkEngineer

Edited by -ctn-

Okay, the new version is up and fixes the missing parts problem from 1.5.1. Sorry!

As a quick sneak peek, I'm currently working on replacing the texture files with .DDS cut down on size and loading times, adding a small greenhouse part to work with Snacks!, and re-making the suit textures to work with the stock suit switcher as suggested by @The Dressian Exploder

Edited by -ctn-

Here's a sneak peek at some of the new suits! I decided to re-make the entire texture as I can't figure out a way to change the suit normal map with the stock suit switcher, so I re-made them to fit with the default normal maps.

I wasn't sure how many color variations to do - I don't want to inflate everyone's suit catalog but it's very fun to have different colors. I might just include all the colors I've done before (Orange, Blue, Green, Red, Brown, Black) as well as a new white 'Plain' suit. I also did a couple of new patterns as well: the camouflage used in Ad Astra and my personal favorite camo pattern in greyscale - Tigerstripe!

I'm also almost done with the Snacks! Greenhouse part as well as converting most of the textures into .DDS

xHYIupF.png

57 minutes ago, Doc Shaftoe said:

@-ctn- You could ask Benjee10 about setting up custom normals with the stock suit switcher. The Apollo A7L suits he made for BDB have custom normal maps through the stock system.

Interesting, I’ll have to download that mod and rummage through the configs before I bug him. 

New update is out! Version 1.6 adds:

New Greenhouse part that uses the Snacks! mod and recycles Soil and Electricity into Snacks! Balanced for 4 Kerbals, give or take.

Total overhaul on EVA suit textures, which now don't require TextureReplacer and work with the stock suit switcher.

Colors are: Red, Orange, Tan, Blue, Green, Purple, Grey, and Plain (white).

Additional patterns: Ad Astra camouflage, Grey Tigerstripe camouflage, Colonial Marines camouflage, and Alien!

I also did some other config tweaking, but nothing that should affect parts or gameplay. Just some organizing to make things easier to look at and edit/tweak in the future.

As always, post on here or message me if you're having problems / noticed a bug / etc. My mods usually do all right since they're mostly just parts mods. Expect an update after the new KSP update drops (soon? Sometime?).

Edited by -ctn-

• 2 weeks later...

Hello all!

I very briefly checked this mod against stock KSP 1.11 and it seems to all be functioning (excluding mod dependencies).

I'm going to tweak the inventory system to work with stock KSP before I push an update but in the meantime, feel free to download the current mod version (1.6).

Okay, Version 1.7 is now up! This makes the Dragon and Cygnus styled parts compatible with the stock inventory system in KSP 1.11. It allows gives the Handrails and Greenhouse parts the ability to be stored as cargo with said inventory system, and the Atratus Cargo tubes (Cygnus) have been moved from the Payload tab to the Cargo tab.

Tested against both unmodded and modded versions of KSP 1.11. As always, if you run into any issues just drop me a line here and I'll see what I can do. Enjoy! I'm glad these parts are finally compatible with stock KSP! The new inventory and EVA assembly mechanics should be super fun.

On 12/7/2020 at 10:46 PM, -ctn- said:

Total overhaul on EVA suit textures

Those are gorgeous! BTW Texture Replacer still works with 1.11 backpacks change and it is the only way to change suits on Kerbals "born" by USI Life Support, Civilian Population, MoarKerbals and... well, no more functional mods like that so far. Will it be possible to use them with TR?

1 hour ago, Hohmannson said:

Those are gorgeous! BTW Texture Replacer still works with 1.11 backpacks change and it is the only way to change suits on Kerbals "born" by USI Life Support, Civilian Population, MoarKerbals and... well, no more functional mods like that so far. Will it be possible to use them with TR?

If you copy the .DDS files into the "Suits" TextureReplacer directory  I believe they should work. You may need to rename them to the default suit names and put them in their own folders, but they should still be compatible with TR with a little work.

• 1 month later...
On 2/10/2021 at 4:22 PM, SirBlob said:

@-ctn- Maybe you could help me out I was trying to use your suits. And they just all just look like this, KSP seems to load all stock suits meshed togehter. Happens when I select your suits inside the vab and from the launchpad.

khHdGcB.png

Here is my KSP log.

It looks like you’re using TextureReplacer. In the TextureReplacer UI, there’s a button near the bottom that says something like “personalized skins” or “personalized suits” that needs to be unchecked (off) for the suits to display properly while TextureReplacer is installed. 

• 2 months later...
On 10/02/2021 at 18:22, SirBlob said:

@ -ctn- Talvez você possa me ajudar, eu estava tentando usar seus ternos. E todos eles se parecem com isso, KSP parece carregar todos os ternos de estoque em malha juntos. Acontece quando eu seleciono seus ternos dentro do vab e da plataforma de lançamento.

khHdGcB.png

Aqui está meu log KSP.

Sorry for the question but I don't recognize this capsule. Where did you get it?

• 1 month later...

Playing in 1.8.1, with texturereplacer. Been using this mod's suits for good while, but the current release doesn't work with texturereplacer. Is there any way I can use the new suits without having the new suit picker thing?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.