Trans-Kerbin Airways - Regional Jet Challenge 2: Electric Boogaloo

Propfan is a pain

(fake propfan)

using ec produce by jet engine to power ecProp= need to balance speed, altitude, throttle, rotor torque, rotor rpm, blades angle, ec usage, etc

Edited by Mathrilord

KLF E-270 "Dove" - Low Capacity Short-Haul Electric - 48,102,000

iEW9Rea.png

Craft file: https://kerbalx.com/Comte_Snek/KLF-E-270-Dove

PAX: 8

Range: 2200km (Theoretically unlimited if during the day and with large solar panels extended)

Cruising Speed: 133m/s

Cruising Altitude: 2000m - 4000m (Only tested to this,  if going higher than this KLF is not responsible for damages)

With the increased focus on renewable energy KLF introduces the new E-270 built for accessing remote areas using 100% clean energy allowing for access where few other planes go. It can work as an alternative to trains for short flights between cities. It features two electric propeller engines with eight short rotors, to make landings on rough terrain easier and features a rear landing gear to protect the tail during landings on rural runways. Another feature are the extendable solar panels behind the wing which are usable during flight (Although slightly lowering the speed).

Edited by Comte_Snek

19 hours ago, Mathrilord said:

Propfan is a pain

(fake propfan)

using ec produce by jet engine to power ecProp= need to balance speed, altitude, throttle, rotor torque, rotor rpm, blades angle, ec usage, etc

My system actually included Fuel Cells as well, but for now (at least after I've sent my damned laptop for a fix first) I'm working on Fuelcell-less propfans.

EDIT: But still I can say it's rather reliable (and sometimes powerful), almost rivalling that of jet engines, at the cost of complexity and part count.

Edited by FahmiRBLXian

i have a plane that can automatically take off, and it looks nice, has a range of over 4000km. when i say it automatically takes off, i mean that it uses the KAL-1000 from breaking ground lol. just the stock game and breaking ground is needed lol

Edited by JcoolTheShipbuilder

AirTrain introduces the new and improved 737-200!

Kerbal_Space_Program_2020-07-14_12_19_16.png

A verison of the AirTrain 737, but in a low-wing configuration to increase the comfort for passengers. It cruises at 6000 metres, burning fuel its 14485 kallons at a slow rate of 0.85 while going 235 m/s. This gives it a range of around 4000 km, carrying 144 passengers that can now enjoy the flight more due to less noise from the engines, and a great view from the cabins. The plane takes off at just over 50 m/s, and it reaches that speed quickly due to the powerful engines. It has capacity for some cargo, but the bays are mostly stocked with luxury food and goods for the passengers, along with their belongings, of course.

AirTrain hopes that the 737-200 can be a greater appeal to the passengers of TKA, and will happily create even more planes or versions for their airways. Fly safe!

Price: 399, 729, 000

File: https://kerbalx.com/Pr3d4tingPilot/Airtrain-737-200

Edited by TheGoldenSoldier

:rep: Hokies Aerospace Introduces :rep:

The Airliner

(We're bad at naming not-so-kickass aircraft, all right?)

9JK2xfH.png?1

• Short-hall, low capacity airliner
    • Recommended cruising specs (used MJ Autopilot)
      • Altitude: 5,700 m
      • Recommended Cruising Speed: 310 m/s
    • Range: 1,761 km
      • Fuel: 5,000 units
      • Consumption rate: 0.88
        • Keep in mind that the consumption rate dropped over time as the altitude and speed remained constant.
    • Occupancy: 36 (32 passengers + 36 crew)
    • Price: :funds:124,230,000

Also comes with features such as:

• Kerbnet access from the probe core
    • Which also means it can be remotely controlled
  • Internal radiators to keep the wings cool
  • A rear exit, with a ramp that opens
    • Do not get anyone out through the rear hatch while the ramp is closed. That's how we lost one our volunteer jumper.
      • Rest in peace, Fermal Kerman. ;.;

pBr4r88.png?1

Craft file (current version): https://kerbalx.com/Mars-Bound_Hokie/Airliner

Edited by Mars-Bound Hokie
Forgot to put the price

11 hours ago, Mars-Bound Hokie said:

:rep: Hokies Aerospace Introduces :rep:

The Airliner

(We're bad at naming not-so-kickass aircraft, all right?)

9JK2xfH.png?1

• Short-hall, low capacity airliner
    • Recommended cruising specs (used MJ Autopilot)
      • Altitude: 5,700 m
      • Recommended Cruising Speed: 310 m/s
    • Range: 1,761 km
      • Fuel: 5,000 units
      • Consumption rate: 0.88
        • Keep in mind that the consumption rate dropped over time as the altitude and speed remained constant.
    • Occupancy: 36 (32 passengers + 36 crew)
    • Price: :funds:124,230,000

Also comes with features such as:

• Kerbnet access from the probe core
    • Which also means it can be remotely controlled
  • Internal radiators to keep the wings cool
  • A rear exit, with a ramp that opens
    • Do not get anyone out through the rear hatch while the ramp is closed. That's how we lost one our volunteer jumper.
      • Rest in peace, Fermal Kerman. ;.;

pBr4r88.png?1

Craft file (current version): https://kerbalx.com/Mars-Bound_Hokie/Airliner

1. You don't need 4 Goliaths for that size of an airliner; sometimes 3 Wheesleys or 2 Goliaths are enough. EDIT: Only use 4 Goliaths when building airliners as big as mine & @espartanlast1's (Mine's like 1 or 2 3 pages back).
  2. Avoid building fuselages with cargo bays. AFAIK judges here already considered the Mk3 cabins to have cargo honds under them, just 'secret'. Or you could just use the tiny flat bit of the Mk3 ramp as the cargo hold. Unless you're making a Combi (though you seem to not include "Combi" in the category).
Edited by FahmiRBLXian

10 minutes ago, FahmiRBLXian said:

Avoid building fuselages with cargo bays. AFAIK judges here already considered the Mk3 cabins to have cargo honds under them, just 'secret'. Or you could just use the tiny flat bit of the Mk3 ramp as the cargo hold. Unless you're making a Combi (though you seem to not include "Combi" in the category).

Last time I built a subsonic Mk. 3 airliner without cargo bays, I had a bit of trouble keeping the plane balanced due to its CoM. Also, I was going for an occupancy of over 30 here.

Do radiators (and batteries) count as cargo? I installed them inside the plane so that the large wings won't blow up mid-flight.

• Plus, kerbals can jump out of the plane that way - or get on it without having to go through the cockpit.

From the creators of "The Airliner," and the "Around Kerbin in 80 Minutes,"

Dusted from the shelves of KerbalX

:rep: Hokies Aerospace Presents :rep:

(wait for it)

B-343

aaUA2kW.png?1

(Picture taken today during a test run. Plane originally built December 2019)

SUPERSONIC Long-hall, low capacity airliner

• Recommended cruising specs (used MJ Autopilot for the speed and heading hold; altitude was too bouncy)
    • Altitude: ~14,000 m
      • That's almost 46,000 feet, putting you in Class A airspace if you're in the U.S.A.
    • Recommended Cruising Speed: 1,000 m/s
  • Range: 4,280 km
    • Fuel: 10,700 units
    • Consumption rate: 2.5
      • Also, I had to hold the altitude manually. If I used the MJ autopilot for altitude holding, I'd be bouncing up and down forever.
  • Occupancy: 20 (4 crew + 16 passengers)
    • Originally designed to fly the KSP Board of Directors through Kerbin at high speeds. They don't want to use SSTOs like the Poseidon or the Olympian, since not everyone who will use it (especially attendants/family members/others) are medically qualified to fly in space.
  • Price: :funds:138,804,000

Craft file here.

Edited by Mars-Bound Hokie
I had mistakenly labeled a picture taken today as one that was taken 12/2019. Fixed it.

8 hours ago, Mars-Bound Hokie said:

Do radiators (and batteries) count as cargo? I installed them inside the plane so that the large wings won't blow up mid-flight.

Flying subsonic won't heat anything up, therefore no need for a radiator.

Hello Everyone!
As you may be able to tell, we are somewhat backed up when it comes to judging and there is something you can do! 

A few of our judges have unfortunately pulled out of the challenge so we would really appreciate more people taking part in the judging process. You do not need to be a permanent judge - even helping out with just a single aircraft is great. Thankfully, I've got a fresh install of KSP again so I can get to judging again.

Contact me on discord (Holiday#0321) if you are interested. The more judges we get, the better :)

1 hour ago, HolidayTheLeek said:

I wonder what is the most time consumming part of reviewing, flying the craft or writting the review? Because for flying the things and giving my feedback I can help, but for writting I'm pretty bad (and SLOW).

1 hour ago, Mathrilord said:

I wonder what is the most time consumming part of reviewing, flying the craft or writting the review? Because for flying the things and giving my feedback I can help, but for writting I'm pretty bad (and SLOW).

in my experience, its always the writing. Most of the statistics from flying can be found by plugging numbers into an equation.

Don't worry about being slow, everyone has a different speed of writing - I'm not too swift myself. I've sent you an invite to the judging discord where we organise who judges what :)

10 minutes ago, HolidayTheLeek said:

Most of the statistics from flying can be found by plugging numbers into an equation.

Was about to be a judge back in KEA, and when it comes to math that's where I'm struggling with. Flight characteristics & else, I'm good at talking about.

7 hours ago, FahmiRBLXian said:

Was about to be a judge back in KEA, and when it comes to math that's where I'm struggling with. Flight characteristics & else, I'm good at talking about.

Don't worry about the maths! That's why we have a discord after all - you can always ask for help :)

oZc38Sy.jpg

M4Ew7Ts.jpg

3OvejBP.jpg

Medium hauls are very competited and Long hauls are not, so DDR Aeronautics decided that a Long haul High capacity plane woul be more conveniant.

So here we are with the DDR-IUH2DC1 !

- Rotaté speed: 70m/s to 90m/s

- Speed when you can safely pull out flaps: 110m/s

- Cruise speed: 170m/s

- Cruise altitude: 2500m ASL

- Delta V: 25,330m/s

- Fuel: 8735 is the maxium takeoff weight, filling more tanks will decalibrate the CoM, plus do NOT empty the Oxidizer, it serves as a ´´ballast´´ weight.

- Passengers: Im too lazy to do the math, so I will just count the cabins :)  16 Mk3 Cabins and 26 Mk1 cabins plus the command pod

-Cost 595,533,000

Emergencies: The plane with an engine took off, can fly stable at 75m/s, good considering the size.

In case of water ditching, there are three options: 1.- Die: The plane has a lot of parts, so landing in the water will make the plane explode.

2.- Sucessfully landing, If you have enough speed and skill the plane would not explode ( Im not sure )

3.- Rolling before impacting: The wing tips can slow down the plane making the passenger cabins be safe, but the front would be reduced to a milimeter of steel.

Thats all! Waiting for quick review!

So get yours here! ( We also sell private planes )

https://kerbalx.com/Commodore_Gamer118/DDR-IUH2DC1

Edited by Commodoregamer118
Images fixed

Test Pilot Review: @Mars-Bound Hokie's B-343 Supersonic Transport

Kerbal_Space_Program_2020-07-22_01_22_27

Figures as Tested:

• Price: :funds:138,804,000
  • Fuel: 10700 kallons
  • Cruising speed: 1000 m/s
  • Cruising altitude: 14000 m
  • Fuel burn rate: ~2-3 kal/s
  • Passengers Carried: 24 Passengers
  • Range: 3566-5350 km

Review Notes:

The B-343 Supersonic Transport is a special craft with quite a unique appearance. It has quite stubby fuselage, made up by a small cabin, a fuel tank and a cargo ramp to form the tail. Using doubled canards with a quite crooked swept mid-fuselage-wing along with a space shuttle-like vertical stabilizer and cockpit. It also uses quite large rear landing gear The cockpit gives the pilots a good view of the runway and during flight. Some of the design features stand out, like the external struts going between the fuselage and the four engine blocks instead of any internal reinforcements, using four J-X4 Turbo Ramjets, shock cone intakes, fuel tanks, reaction wheels along with battery packs. In essence, it is a design that gives a mix of Sci-Fi vibes but still feeling a bit old-school due to the external struts.

Unfortunately, the B-343 does have a problem with turning being almost sluggish when turning. The roll rate is quite fast, almost fighter like due to every control surface participating in all axes available to it, trying to roll, pitch and yaw. It basically never handels well, and can put up to 3 Gees on passengers, decreasing comfort. It is a challenge to fly, especially for a long time but it can be worked around if autopilot software is used. Takeoff is quite slow to achieve, accelerating slow on the runway, and it wont rotate and takeoff under 100 m/s (360 km/h, 223 mph), limiting the airliner to airports using long runways. It could land at just over 80 m/s, but slowing down also takes some time.

During emergencies, the B-343 can be a nightmare to handle. If one of the outer engines are shut down, the airliner needs almost full rudder to keep straight. If two engines are shut down, the airliner becomes a powered glider as the engines can barley keep the plane going if it's not facing downwards, and without engines it has a hard time keeping in the air. It also has a hard time landing in water, stripping the wings of the fuselage at both tests. It does float quite good, compensating for the poor gliding. The B-343 doesn't have any special safety features.

The Verdict:

The B-343 is quite costly, but inline with similar supersonic airliners. The maintenance of the B-343 could be costly due to structural stress during compression/decompression while climbing to the low pressure of 14 km. Stress from atmospheric friction could also lead to required repeated maintenance of the fuselage. The amount of landing gears could also be challenging to maintain along with the amount of control surfaces. Since the engines are integrated into the wings, replacing/repairing wings could be easy due to the wings being attached to the engine blocks, leading to a way of quickly replacing outer wings and engines at the same time. The plane is pretty efficient, but burns fuel a bit unevenly. Due to the multiple errors and design choices that could be easily fixed, TKA is recommended to not purchase any B-343's, but if another version with the previous issues fixed is released, TKA will consider purchasing 2-5 planes.

4 hours ago, Commodoregamer118 said:

Rotaté speed:

Do you mean "VR"?

Just to get everyone noted here. Refer the "V-Speeds" here so everyone can use a better term.

Edited by FahmiRBLX
Typo bruh

Sophia Aerospace presents to you the hypersonic plane "Daedalus"!
Do you need medium priced, fast plane? We have what you want!
tR0ooyo.png"Daedalus" is medium-haul, low capacity, fast, cheap and nice looking plane designing to fly in the upper atmosphere that also heats up because of insane speed of 1400 m/s! But don't be scared of heat and speed of the craft, you would be good up to 1500 m/s, but accelerating to that speed is not recommended.

Price of the plane is 69,425,000

NOTE TO PILOTS:

1. To take off wait until speed is around 80 m/s and then pitch up to 25, but keep as close to prograde as possible (you're only allowed to deviate up to 1 degree from prograde when ascending because of drag).
2. Cruising altitude is 22000 km and cruising speed is 1400 m/s.

3. When you reach cruise altitude activate action group 5 for high speed course change
4. When landing don't forget to open parachutes

CRAFT FILE: https://kerbalx.com/Right-Monolith/Hypersonic-plane-Daedalus

Edited by Darkuss
Update

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.