Trans-Kerbin Airways - Regional Jet Challenge 2: Electric Boogaloo

19 minutes ago, HyperDraco said:

My WIP Supersonic can only do about 700 m/s crusing speed at 12,000 on 2/3 Thrust with Afterburners on... on 3 Panthers.

Try Whiplashes. You can top at 1400m/s at least.

28 minutes ago, HyperDraco said:

But what I meant by 4 small engines is 4 separate engines, none of them clipped together. Sort of like the Boeing 707 has.

Yes, that's allowed.

28 minutes ago, HyperDraco said:

JUST... JUST ONE?

impossible

My WIP Supersonic can only do about 700 m/s crusing speed at 12,000 on 2/3 Thrust with Afterburners on... on 3 Panthers.

rapier engines/whiplash engines are far more effective at supersonic speeds than panther engines - especially in cruise :)

8 minutes ago, HolidayTheLeek said:

rapier engines/whiplash engines are far more effective at supersonic speeds than panther engines - especially in cruise :)

Of course, they're Semi-rocket and Ramjets respectively.

But I was shocked by those numbers. Wow these engines are much more powerful than we give them credit for.

36 minutes ago, Darkuss said:

honestly i don't even know how it flies so fast and eats so tiny amount of fuel

Hax?

@HyperDracoDo I need to remember you this? 1700+ m/s

LoRE HST-3-8 Missile

Rapier max speed is just under 1750 m/s

edit:

panther max speed (can go faster by flying lower)
dry: 696.3 m/s @ 11000 m
wet: 906.5 m/s @ 15000 m

Whiplash
1503.5 m/s @ 21000 m (btw at this speed and altitude mk2 cockpit will melt, inline too)
1492.0 m/s @ 21500 m (safe for mk2 inline only)
1478.4 m/s @ 22000 m
1443.9 m/s @ 23000 m
1396.0 m/s @ 24000 m (still not safe for mk2, over 1400k in internal temp.)
1364.7 m/s @ 24500 m (safe for mk2 but it's limit, 1396k)
around  1336 m/s (couldn't maintain speed) @ 25000 m
max altitude above 26000 m
interestingly flying lower with reduce throttle is more efficient for my test craft

so with mk2 stay below 1350 m/s
btw inline cockpit are NOT better thermally speaking. inline cockpit will heat as much as a "nose" cockpit which is dumb.

edit2: inline coclpit are the same for external temp. but are around 100-200k colder for internal temp. so you would be fine with a mk2 inline

higher= lower max speed
lower= higher max speed

edit3: @Darkuss At 22000m your Daedalus cockpit will burn at 1352 m/s and is fine at 1349 m/s (if you are flying level) I wouldn't go above 1345
edit4: 1350 m/s @ 22000 m = 1400.7 k int. temp. and still rising(VERY slowly) 1349 m/s = 1399.8 k
edit5: 1349 = 1400.4 after 1 hour and 24 minutes of flight

Edited by Mathrilord

8 hours ago, Mathrilord said:

@HyperDracoDo I need to remember you this? 1700+ m/s

LoRE HST-3-8 Missile

Rapier max speed is just under 1750 m/s

edit:

panther max speed (can go faster by flying lower)
dry: 696.3 m/s @ 11000 m
wet: 906.5 m/s @ 15000 m

Whiplash
1503.5 m/s @ 21000 m (btw at this speed and altitude mk2 cockpit will melt, inline too)
1492.0 m/s @ 21500 m (safe for mk2 inline only)
1478.4 m/s @ 22000 m
1443.9 m/s @ 23000 m
1396.0 m/s @ 24000 m (still not safe for mk2, over 1400k in internal temp.)
1364.7 m/s @ 24500 m (safe for mk2 but it's limit, 1396k)
around  1336 m/s (couldn't maintain speed) @ 25000 m
max altitude above 26000 m
interestingly flying lower with reduce throttle is more efficient for my test craft

so with mk2 stay below 1350 m/s
btw inline cockpit are NOT better thermally speaking. inline cockpit will heat as much as a "nose" cockpit which is dumb.

edit2: inline coclpit are the same for external temp. but are around 100-200k colder for internal temp. so you would be fine with a mk2 inline

higher= lower max speed
lower= higher max speed

Ok, now that's impressive.

Thank you so much, this is useful. I also plan to use Drone cores so this would be good to help decide between the two

On 7/7/2020 at 2:27 PM, Maxorin said:

Test Pilot Review: [@Mathrilord's LoRE HST-3-8 Missile]    Long Haul, Low Capacity

cSwmpvT.png

(Pictured: The HST-3-8 Missile in subsonic flight)

Figures as Tested:

• Price: :funds:21 644 000
  • Fuel: 440kal
  • Cruising speed: 1700m/s
  • Cruising altitude: 25000m
  • Fuel burn rate: 0.07kal/s
  • Range: 10000km

Review Notes:

On first glance, the plane appeared to be very sleek, fitted with an engine that was uncommon in the civilian sector. Indeed, while it looked like a typical small plane, there were a number of features that stood out. Perhaps the most interesting aspect of the plane was the lack of a visible cockpit-the only thing that stood out was a small camera on the nose of the plane. We later learnt that this small camera was the pilots' only view out of the plane, which admittedly did scare them a bit.

Nonetheless, they agreed to take the plane for a spin. Just like its name, the Missile performed like a…missile. At full throttle, the plane accelerated very quickly, reaching its takeoff speed of 85m/s, a bit higher than stated, in 800m. Our pilots did have a concern that excessive pitching could lead to a tailstrike on the engine, although in regular situations this would be unlikely.

Once in the air, our pilots performed the standard control check, noting that the plane had very good handling in all 3 axes. In fact, they even managed to sideslip the plane 40 degrees without causing it to spin out. Furthermore, the airframe managed to withstand a force of 46Gs, which was very impressive. As per its manual, the plane rocketed up to its cruising speed and altitude very quickly, in only 120km and with 300kal of fuel remaining. Also true to its name was the speed at which it cruised: a blinding 1700m/s. This was the fastest plane TKA has received so far. Not to mention, it had an incredible calculated range of more than 10000km.

When it was time to land, the speedbrakes helped to slow the missile down from its hypersonic trip. Our pilots expected the plane to have a high landing speed due to its low wing loading. However, it managed to land at 65m/s, which was a bit slower than expected. That being said, it was at this moment when things started to go a bit wrong. The wheels started to bounce on touchdown which caused some instability in the plane. In fact, it started to skid and spring off the ground. This did catch our pilots off guard, and a later inspection found that the auto-spring and auto-damper systems were the culprits. We recommend having a set value for the springs and dampers to avoid such an incident again.

In emergency situations, the sleek aerodynamic design allows the plane to retain its speed very well, although its single engine design could be a cause for concern in the redundancy sector. The plane also handled extremely well for water ditchings, with no damage whatsoever.

The Verdict:

It's relatively cheap and lightning fast. The passenger count, lacking at a mere 16, could limit the Missile to niche luxury trips, aided by the speed of the plane. Maintenance-wise, it's quite a charm, not requiring much at all. The new cockpit arrangement could require some extra training to operate safety. Most importantly, the part that requires some redesign is the landing gears' springiness.

All in all, it's quite a good plane with few flaws. TKA will take 5 for its luxury or time-sensitive trips, with an additional 3 if it's popular with the people.

I hope the Judges don't mind if I make a challenger for this entry, it's got me interested.

Update, it now has a torque of 0.01... somehow

Update 2: Torque is now exactly 0.00 kNm

Update 9387: The 0 kNm torque was discarded in favour of looks and performance. @Mathrilord How do I calculate range, do we use the fuel left after reaching cruise or just a full tank?

Edited by HyperDraco

12 hours ago, HyperDraco said:

Update 9387: The 0 kNm torque was discarded in favour of looks and performance. @Mathrilord How do I calculate range, do we use the fuel left after reaching cruise or just a full tank?

Full fuel capacity.

15 hours ago, Mathrilord said:

Couldn't wait to share with you this beauty! WIP

DVpHcQP.png

Holy God, the cockpit.

Result of the last two days(x5 the number of craft)... please someone stop me!

AcmUfho.png

note: second plane from the left, two mk2 cockpit facing each other

in the back there is a blimp-like aircraft, fly... weirdly

I'm trying to build a pushback (aircraft tug)

@HyperDraco You can advertise a lower range if you want.

Edited by Mathrilord

4 hours ago, Mathrilord said:

@HyperDraco You can advertise a lower range if you want.

Ah, alright.

I see my craft has an abysmal range of ~2900...

It sort of looks like yours, but I promise I did not plagarise. It was a competitor and at that point, they tend to resemble each other.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm really hate to say last month's TOTM did the opposite for this thread. It supposed to attract more people, but within less than a month after being announced a TOTM, it's dying.

Review-wise, @Johnny wane's SBMF Wyvern will be reviewed by me. After my laptop has been fixed, which should be soon.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.